PDA

View Full Version : Fed Ex employees abusing fish shipments? had a very close call.

stone
02-11-2012, 02:37 PM
I just received a fish from Mark at Discus Origins. The packaging was superb, triple bagged in a brand new styrofoam box, everything you'd expect. However when the fish arrived, you won't believe this, more than half the water was sitting in the bottom of the cooler, the fishes bag literally had a cup and a half of water left and I when I first peaked in the top to check on the fish all I saw were pelvic fins, there was so little water the fish couldn't right himself. I initially thought for sure he was dead. I was swearing as I opened the bag. there was so little water in the bag he couldn't submerge himself completely, his back was about 1/4" out of the water if I positioned it just right. I literally floated him for 10 minutes before I just poured him into the net and plopped him in the tank. He was not feeling fantastic all day yesterday, nearly black, resting on the bottom and trying to hide under a plant. The aquarium is at my office so I had to hope for the best over night. much to my relief I came in today and he is out and about, color looks good, hard to tell completely with the lights off but much better, he's out exploring and ate pretty well. He seemed to be playing in the bubbles as I pumped in replacement water today.
Now to my question, has anyone suspected Fed Ex of intentionally abusing fish boxes? This is the second Fed Ex box I've received this year and the first was perfect and yet the packaging wasn't nearly as meticulous. It really upsets me to think of people shaking or being rough with these fish that undergoing enormous stress already.
Here is a picture of the fish before shipping. he looks good considering the ordeal, fins are a bit shredded but nothing major.

http://img708.imageshack.us/img708/7602/1327856455.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/708/1327856455.jpg/)

discus day
02-11-2012, 03:07 PM
if you think thats bad try recieving fish through another company like ups or usps

Darrell Ward
02-11-2012, 03:20 PM
I'm not the least surprised. Been there, more than once. I've had crushed fish boxes with dead fish, and even had a driver hand me a dripping box upside down that was clearly marked. I think they just don't care. In my area, Fed Ex ground is even worse. Acording to the tracking info, I've had ground packages ride around on delivery trucks for 2 or 3 days before being delivered.

chrisb01
02-11-2012, 03:30 PM
if you think thats bad try recieving fish through another company like ups or usps

Ditto...

Been there. I think that their curiosity gets the best of them when they see "Live Fish" written on the box. They try to peak in the box, and mess everything up.

He is looking pretty good though. The best of luck with him.

Disgirl
02-11-2012, 03:42 PM
Here it is UPS that does this. Your story shows just how tough a healthy discus is and how much it can live through when treated badly. Looks good now, good luck with him/her!
Barb

Bill63SG
02-11-2012, 04:00 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4V4r3q4FuAIf this doesn't play,just google "opening scene pet detective".

Bud Smith
02-11-2012, 04:01 PM
I have ordered discus about 8 times and I have not have to much trouble only with one shipment but I put that on the seller (bad packing procedure)
Abuse by carriers can happen anytime but especially during the holidays - I have first hand experience with that - I lost a 7 inch blue scorpion - box was torn open and all the water was gone from bags

ZX10R
02-11-2012, 04:09 PM
I bought some fish once and they were shipped USPS when they pulled up at my house I watch the lady throw the box to one side of here vehicle then pick it up again and throw it in the passenger seat. I ran out to her vehicle and got the box before she could do it again. Same problem as you described most of the water was out of the bags and there was bubbles in the water from being shaken so much. I could only imagine what those fish went thru before they came to me. Bad thing is there was stickers all over the outside of the box saying "CAUTION LIVE FISH" lot a good that did.

judy
02-11-2012, 04:23 PM
I will not use any of the delivery services. Air only for me, with the seller delivering the box to the airline, and me picking it up from the airline. In Canada, Westjet is fabulous! They see the Caution: Live Tropical Fish on the box and they handle it as if it were plastic explosive that could go off if so much as nudged. I love them.

discus day
02-11-2012, 05:04 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4V4r3q4FuAIf this doesn't play,just google "opening scene pet detective".

got to give him credit he has nice foot work while playing soccer with it