PDA

View Full Version : is this bloat?

discus day
02-11-2012, 11:47 PM
ok so one of my new discus seems to swim on its sides. its belly doesnt look big or anything but once in awhile it turns on its side and swim. seems like once it in awhile it cant stay balance. any idea?

Chicago Discus
02-12-2012, 12:29 AM
Could be swim bladder but you need to fill out the questioner just copy and paste this and more people will help......Josie http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?38545-Disease-Questionnaire-please-complete

discus day
02-12-2012, 12:41 AM
if its swim bladder whats the best way to treat it?

TNT77
02-12-2012, 01:16 AM
if its swim bladder whats the best way to treat it?
Copy and complete the form. http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?38545-Disease-Questionnaire-please-complete

pcsb23
02-12-2012, 06:10 AM
'tis ok I won't insist on you filling in the questionnaire before offering advice ;)

If you suspect bloat try epsom salts, if this does not resolve the issue in a day or two then it is likely that there is something more serious going on and the additional info from the questionnaire becomes useful.

Brokenrack
02-12-2012, 06:35 AM
if you just got it, as in fresh out the shipping bag, it is prob. swim bladder from shipping and should be better in a day maybe two.

pcsb23
02-12-2012, 07:28 AM
if you just got it, as in fresh out the shipping bag, it is prob. swim bladder from shipping and should be better in a day maybe two.Good point, could just be shipping stress.

jimg
02-12-2012, 10:59 AM
if the bottom of the tank is bare and unpainted they will do that too

discus day
02-12-2012, 11:43 AM
thanks for all the advice guy he seems alot better this morning. and it could be from shipping stress or from my bottom was unpainted =p. either way, i add aquarium salt last night and hes swimming perfectly for now. lets hope it stays that way =]

shoveltrash
02-12-2012, 12:59 PM
I don't know how any of the *experts* here feel about this, but I believe strongly in feeding roughage to prevent bloat. roughage in the form of frozen brine shrimp :).
your fish may have just been recovering from the stress of shipping, but IMHO one can avoid future problems with some fiber ;).

Chicago Discus
02-12-2012, 01:50 PM
I don't know how any of the *experts* here feel about this, but I believe strongly in feeding roughage to prevent bloat. roughage in the form of frozen brine shrimp :).
your fish may have just been recovering from the stress of shipping, but IMHO one can avoid future problems with some fiber ;).

spoken like a mom ...............................eat that roughage.......Josie

Brokenrack
02-12-2012, 04:58 PM

Good advice but he really didn't list any symptoms of bloat.

shoveltrash
02-12-2012, 05:22 PM
Good advice but he really didn't list any symptoms of bloat.no....except the title which reads "is this bloat?" - which is why I posted that info.

spoken like a mom ...............................eat that roughage.......Josie :D