PDA

View Full Version : Artificially Raising fry

nc0gnet0
02-12-2012, 01:56 PM
I was wondering how many people here have succesfully artificially raised a batch of discus fry from eggs to adults. From time to time I see a thread in which the poster starts the process, and then they just stopped updating the thread (I am assuming due to failure). For those of you that have done it, please share how you did it and most importantaly what you fed intially.

I stumbled across this on the Angelsplus site and I think I am going to give it a go here in the near future:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_nnF-bcE7c

Granted this is for angels, but it appears it could be adapted for discus fry as well.

Rick

Chicago Discus
02-12-2012, 02:06 PM
thats really cool but I'm not sure how that would work with discus they usually need their parents or an airstone with yoke mix for a while. very interesting Rick thanks for posting.........Josie

nc0gnet0
02-12-2012, 02:13 PM
I understand that Josie, but it could be easily be modified to allow for a stone covered with egg yolk powder to be placed in it. all you would have to do is add a second PVC pipe through the top for a feeding tube and then cap that tube after you place it in. What would really be interesting is if you could use that gel food in the food and nutrition section and add egg yolk powder to the mix.

Rick

Chicago Discus
02-12-2012, 02:20 PM
I understand that Josie, but it could be easily be modified to allow for a stone covered with egg yolk powder to be placed in it. all you would have to do is add a second PVC pipe through the top for a feeding tube and then cap that tube after you place it in. What would really be interesting is if you could use that gel food in the food and nutrition section and add egg yolk powder to the mix.

Rick
It sounds really cool make one so I can copy it and we will both give it a try..:)

Discoholic
02-12-2012, 02:27 PM
I would be interested in seeing how well this would work for discus fry. I raised thousands of angelfish fry years ago in a 1 gallon jar similar to this set up. I would think that the dark sponge would attract discus fry to the sponges and away from the feed. Maybe a lighter sponge could be used with better results for discus? I look forward to your experiences if you do give it a try.

nc0gnet0
02-12-2012, 02:56 PM
Maybe a lighter sponge could be used with better results for discus?

I was thinking the same thing, I wonder if there is a good source for some high ppi poret foam that is white?

Discoholic
02-12-2012, 03:02 PM
Rick,
You can get green poret. I wonder if that would be light enough?

nc0gnet0
02-12-2012, 03:07 PM
Gary,

Not sure, but as a last resort I think I might be able to add a white mesh plastic screen with a fine weave to the top of the sponge. After a day or two when they figure out where the food is, then it should be a non issue, as I have raised many fry with black sponge filters still in the tank. It really only is an issue the first day or two.

Rick

Discoholic
02-12-2012, 03:30 PM
Gary,

Not sure, but as a last resort I think I might be able to add a white mesh plastic screen with a fine weave to the top of the sponge. After a day or two when they figure out where the food is, then it should be a non issue, as I have raised many fry with black sponge filters still in the tank. It really only is an issue the first day or two.

Rick

Good point. Regardless, I look forward to following this thread

CliffsDiscus
02-12-2012, 05:46 PM
Check out mondodiscus.com

stjkm4
02-12-2012, 07:59 PM
Give it a try or you'll never know.

brewmaster15
02-14-2012, 02:44 PM
Rick,
I haven't raised artificially in years, I foster now and let the fish do the work if I need to.... but I based my discus method on what Jack Wattley wrote in his articles....This is a real real old article I wrote for Simplydiscus...( check out the high tech equipment I used including my tank stands :) ) and I am sure theres better more improved ways of doing this...but it worked for me.

see this...
http://www.simplydiscus.com/library/breeding_genetics/fry_rearing/artificial_rearing.shtml

best regards,
al

nc0gnet0
02-14-2012, 03:12 PM
Biggest problem with the bowl method is the need to do water changes every few hours. It doesn't lend itself well if you have to be away for 8-12 hours. Hoping this method (or a variation of it) coupled with the gel food might rectify that.

CliffsDiscus
02-14-2012, 08:46 PM
Try Knox Gelatine this is the original formula from Friswall back in the mid 60, I use Metamucil.

warblad79
02-14-2012, 09:33 PM
Is is worthed though? raising them artificially.

roundfishross
02-15-2012, 12:53 AM
BIG TUCK! all there is to say :)

roundfishross
02-15-2012, 12:55 AM
Rick,

have you tried the extra small hatching artemia?

nc0gnet0
02-15-2012, 12:59 AM
Big Tuck?

Not sure I have seen the extra small artemia, and I would be skeptical that it is significantly smaller than the hatchable decaps that I use.

Rick

roundfishross
02-15-2012, 01:02 AM
he was a canadian member. he seemed to have perfected an artificial rearing contraption. there was a pretty in depth thread around here somewhere:)

also on a side note he was a pretty cool dude and I am not too sure if he's with us anymore. I believe April Ross bought everthing he had.

roundfishross
02-15-2012, 01:06 AM
here you go

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?68507-Artificial-rearing-made-easy&highlight=big+tuck+artificial

magewynd
02-15-2012, 01:07 AM
BIG TUCK! all there is to say :)

I think this is the thread.
http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?68507-Artificial-rearing-made-easy/page7

nc0gnet0
02-15-2012, 01:07 AM
Oh Ok, yeah Al pointed me to that thread:

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?68507-Artificial-rearing-made-easy

I looked at it, basically the concept is the same, a much larger volume of water yet the fry are concentrated in a small container.

nc0gnet0
02-15-2012, 01:08 AM
Well how about that three people all posting the same link at the same time ;)

roundfishross
02-15-2012, 01:09 AM
its worth the read!