PDA

View Full Version : tragedy in the tank

kid discus
02-12-2012, 02:46 PM
i hate to post this but i just want to share my experience that i just had this morning.........out of the 17 discus i have in my tank i only have one pair that has spawned for me. i was watching them in my main tank and i knew they were ready to go at it again soon. i placed them in my spawning tank immediately and the next day after work i came home to a bunch of eggs being guarded. sadly to say i went out this morning to run some errands and i come home to an empty cone and a dead discus on my floor. i know its my fault that i dont have a cover for this tank but to be honest i didnt have the tank filled too high. i knew discus can jump but i didnt know they could fly. my goal was to have at least one successful batch of fry, it never happened!!! im actually mad that i spent so much time trying to get it right. im ready to give up (or buy a proven pair) any suggestions?

discus day
02-12-2012, 02:59 PM
try again with a top. no matter how low the water is the fish will always find a way out. a top in a tank withfish is just as important as the filters.

Altum Nut
02-12-2012, 03:12 PM
Hey Kid Discus,

Lesson learned i would hope. Sorry for your loss.
Hang in there as you still have 15 discus which i'm sure will possibly form another pair for you.
If your in some sort of rush to breed and raise fry...buy that proven pair.

...Ralph

nc0gnet0
02-12-2012, 03:30 PM
There is absolutely no reason not to have a top on your tank, it doesn't have to be pretty, it just needs to work. Go to the hardware store and buy yourself a 2x4 section of egg crate (used as diffuser grills for florescent lighting) and cut to fit.

Rick

kid discus
02-12-2012, 03:48 PM
i just went to the store and bought one of those black mesh tops for reptile tanks. i knew i should have had a top but just never made the effort to buy one. u are very correct altum nut...........lesson is totally learned and will NEVER happen again.

discus day
02-12-2012, 03:50 PM
i just went to the store and bought one of those black mesh tops for reptile tanks. i knew i should have had a top but just never made the effort to buy one. u are very correct altum nut...........lesson is totally learned and will NEVER happen again.

are you talking about the metal ones? if so let me warn you those rust

kid discus
02-12-2012, 03:56 PM
i thought about that. i have some spray paint that prevents rusting that i took from work. since i am an electrician most of the paints and adhesives etc... that i use are rust proof. would it be a good idea to paint it with that?

steakman
02-12-2012, 04:05 PM
I ordered a few of those glass tops (canopy) from this site. Their prices are very reasonable. Shipping is cheap as well.

Nothing better than a set of new glass tops. The plastic pieces in the middle cost as much as the whole thing.

http://www.aquariumguys.com/aquariumhoods.html

For example, I just ordered a set of 2 glass tops for my 150 gallon tank to deliver to my front door in 3 days for a mere $7.99 in shipping.

72" x 18" Glass Canopy PF0208 1 set of 2: 39.69
(Perfecto)
(Shipped)
Fedex Tracking Number:

Subtotal 39.69
Shipping 7.99
Tax 0.00
Total 47.68

Hope it'll help, and sorry for your loss.

SM

discus day
02-12-2012, 04:14 PM
i thought about that. i have some spray paint that prevents rusting that i took from work. since i am an electrician most of the paints and adhesives etc... that i use are rust proof. would it be a good idea to paint it with that?

im not sure as i believe not all paint are safe for fish. those mesh cost roughly the same price as getting a piece of glass cut to fit at your local glass store. even a cheap piece of plastic will work.

discus day
02-12-2012, 04:15 PM
I ordered a few of those glass tops (canopy) from this site. Their prices are very reasonable. Shipping is cheap as well.

Nothing better than a set of new glass tops. The plastic pieces in the middle cost as much as the whole thing.

http://www.aquariumguys.com/aquariumhoods.html

For example, I just ordered a set of 2 glass tops for my 150 gallon tank to deliver to my front door in 3 days for a mere $7.99 in shipping.

72" x 18" Glass Canopy PF0208 1 set of 2: 39.69
(Perfecto)
(Shipped)
Fedex Tracking Number:

Subtotal 39.69
Shipping 7.99
Tax 0.00
Total 47.68

Hope it'll help, and sorry for your loss.

SM

thats for BOTH pieces? dang thats cheaper than a solo piece for my 125 lol =p

kid discus
02-12-2012, 04:24 PM
thanks discus day and by the way congratz on your new shipment from kenny that golden is an amazing fish. i just checked out the site that steakman mentioned and found some really nice stuff i will be ordering a top from them sometime within the next hour. ive never seen that site before but i just added it to my favorites i guess im still a noob being a hobbyist for only 4 years but ill get it right one day haha keeping them healthy was an achievement i conquered a few years ago. now breeding is my new goal.
thanks
nick

i just want to add a side note to anyone who reads this and/or is new to the hobby...............sd has been an incredible source for discus info and everyone has been completely helpful.....we all make mistakes and think our ideas are correct when we are new but take it from me..........LISTEN to these masters of the hobby. if they say dont do it, then dont do it!!! lol

thanks again

nick

discus day
02-12-2012, 04:27 PM
youre welcome =] before i make a move i always check with the forum first =p. but yea the golden is great! i love him! hopefully hell breed with one of the multiple suitable femals lol. im new to breeding too but im not to serious about it yet as i have no where to unload them =p.

kid discus
02-12-2012, 04:57 PM
yeah i have no where to unload them either. i just want to know that i can do it. well if that golden or any other fish breeds please let me know, ill take a few :). where are you located?

discus day
02-12-2012, 05:00 PM
im in arizona! way on the other side of you lol. if any does breed ill attempt to ship some of the lower quality ones as a test on my shipping skills free of charge =p. if that golden does breed i will be more than happy to supply forum members their spawn. (if my shipping skill is up to par that is =p)

kid discus
02-12-2012, 05:12 PM
sounds like a plan good luck!!!