PDA

View Full Version : can i get away with overstocking?

discus day
02-13-2012, 12:24 PM
Ok so my original plan was to have a 125 g tank use as my pairing tank and my private tank and have my other 125 as a display tank. But Kenny's discus work their magic on my Better half and now She wants more discus than I have!

Here's the problem: she wants 20 THAS RIGHT TWENTY! discus in our display tank. Good news? She's fine with bare bottom. I told here that That's simply just too many! Her reply? "Add more filters" -face palm- I told her in the nicest way possible That overfiltering wont help.

Her reply? "Do more Watt change. 2x a day. That's what you bought those aqueons hoses for isn't?"

My reply: OK I don't have one =p looks like she won the argument. But my concern still stands. That's too many in a 125. But since I can't argue with her water change argument, I must ask you guys, Is this stocking possible with 2 water change a day at 7-85%?

If not please give me a solid argument against her. (You know wives they're always right) lol

jimg
02-13-2012, 12:28 PM
Imo you will be fine. it all depends on your water and feeding. you may be fine with 1 wc every few days. know your water first kh,gh etc

zimmjeff
02-13-2012, 12:33 PM
more tanks better.

Second Hand Pat
02-13-2012, 12:36 PM
You guys have this all wrong. Instead of a 125 it is time for a 200+ replacement tank :) Instead of walking the edge with the health of your discus due to tight quarters best to update to a bigger tank for better leeway when life happens and couldn't quite get to the WC today. You choose on presentation to the spouse. :)

discus day
02-13-2012, 12:44 PM
Lol pat I literally remember the 10g per fish rule and mention it to her and ask if she would want a 200g+ more like 300g since shell end up wanting more.

Her response word for word: "we just got the d%&$ 125 just throw a 75g sump under it if you really have to follow the f*&$ing rule. I'm getting those fish!"

I think she just beat me in my own hobby :( Good news for Kenny I suppose.... lol bad news for my wallet. I'm still concerned whether there's room for the fish to swim

jimg
02-13-2012, 01:18 PM
Keep in mind too, some strains stay small, others get like dinner plates!

discus day
02-13-2012, 01:26 PM
I did not know that! Thought they were all plate size lol. Guess I have to ask Kenny which of his strains stays a bit smaller