PDA

View Full Version : How many Discus should I put into a 1000 liter tank?

lukon
02-14-2012, 09:25 PM
I have a 1000 Liter tank. how many discus should i put in it. Im planning on a bare bottom tank is it advisable to us a overhead filter?
Im new to discus fish but previously a have flowerhorns & Oscars what should be the required water quality to maintain a healthy discus?

WMD
02-14-2012, 10:08 PM
from what i know 1 adult discus per 10 gallon. as you have 265 gallon you do the math. i think its still depend on what you are getting, juvies or adult. personally i dont like juvies in huge tank, they always get lost and dont see the food. and water changes will consume your energy away. water quality??? i do 10% WC every day just cleaning the poop and all, and 60 - 80% WC every week. you dont know how many times a day they thank me.

Sean Buehrle
02-14-2012, 11:00 PM
I would put a group of 6 -8 adults in it.
No sense in pushing the limit and over crowding them. Even a tank that big will require large water changes, so unless you want to use huge amounts of water, your best bet is don't over do it.

pseudocaesar
02-15-2012, 04:32 AM
Well you could comfortably fit around 26 fully grown adults in there. But if you want schooling fish, catfish etc, then I would say ~20 Discus.

nikond70s
02-15-2012, 04:38 AM
id do like 10-15 of the same strain. looks great when they school. and add some other small schooling fish.

steakman
02-15-2012, 07:36 AM
I found out that a group of larger than 15 discus in a huge tank seems to work best, no bickering, no fighting, no pecking order, not exactly.

There won't be a single boss. The bullies have no one particularly to pick on because there are too many.

I used to place a group of 6 to 10 discus in different size of tanks. There will be a couple of bullies take on a weakest fish all day long.

ajvdiscus
02-15-2012, 12:30 PM
i agree with steakman. i would go with about 15 to 20 .

Skip
02-15-2012, 12:34 PM
I have a 1000 Liter tank. how many discus should i put in it. Im planning on a bare bottom tank is it advisable to us a overhead filter?

Im new to discus fish but previously a have flowerhorns & Oscars what should be the required water quality to maintain a healthy discus?

the more BIO FILTER The better.. use a H.O.B. filter.. but add a sponge filter or two..

discus want CLEAN CONSISTENT water (adding chemicals/RO water to tap, to change water chemistry will only add to difficulty.. i use straight un aged tap water.. others age..
either way works well..

but the key.. is CONSISTENT parameters..

steakman
02-15-2012, 04:09 PM
to change water chemistry will only add to difficulty.. i use straight un aged tap water.. others age..
either way works well..

but the key.. is CONSISTENT parameters..

+1

The only difference is I don't like the sights of H.O.B and sponge filters. I use Eheim canister filters. 2 on each tank, and I alternately cleaning them to preserve the bacteria.

I use straight tap water as well. I guess the city controls its tap water better then I do ...

My sister adds a bunch of expensive stuff to her water changes, and her fish get sick all the time. Just make it simple.

I only add Safe to the tap water every time I do WC, that's all. So far so good, none has died. Some stop eating every now and then, but recover in a couple of days.

Good luck

tonytheboss1
03-04-2012, 01:17 PM
:bandana: I'm no expert but I believe the standard is 1 adult size (5+") per 10/12g. As for water quality. Be consistent wit W/C's & monitor nitrate levels regularly. "T"