PDA

View Full Version : what's wrong?

discus day
02-15-2012, 09:27 AM
-1.5" are fry and should have multiple 90%+ wc daily
2-3.5" are juvies and requires 50%+ daily
4-5" is considered sub adults can be mix with planted tanks and requires 75% every 2-3
5.5"+ are consider adults and need atleast 1 90%+ a week 2 would be better

I posted this in another thread about water change and shinshin said I was wrong I asked him what was wrong with It and he proceed not to answer. So can anyone tell me what's wrong with this water change schedule and explain please?

TURQ64
02-15-2012, 09:39 AM
the larger fish need wc's more frequently, I wouldn't stick sub adults in a planted tank. Fry can become a little more delicate at times..huge wc's can kill them also...

brewmaster15
02-15-2012, 09:43 AM
IMO>Theres nothing wrong with it except that you are stating things as absolutes, and I disagree with arbitrary amounts you listed. :) Theres more to any fish husbandry that x amount of water changed per size of fish. Stocking densities, foods fed,filtration, tank volumes all come into the equation and one other fact often over looked in these discussions.. what is your goal? If your goal is to grow monster discus, then what you posted will not get you there in most cases by what you are stating as requirements.

Generally speaking, The most water changes you can do are always better than an lesser amount that you want to do if the goal is big healthy fish. Always start with abundant clean aged and stable water, many small feedings of nutritious food, appropriate water parameters and temps... and healthy stock. Thats it...no mystery, no debate....Do that and you have the best chance of success.

So how much water to change?... as much as you possibly can.. and thats different for everyone... More frequent smaller wcs are better than large infrequent ones though. Start with a lot and taper it back as you go on provided you are still happy with the results.

-al

discus day
02-15-2012, 09:52 AM
OK thanks a a lot when I was in researching stage I notice that this is what was recommended as adults are a lot hardier than juvenile about water quality.

I also am do 75-85% daily and was told its unnecessary. But I am over stock so I tend to do more than required. Is my water change schedule fine? I have 16 discus ranging from 3-6.5 inch in a bare 125. I feed 3-4 times a day. I plan to have this stock for the next 5months and remove pairs as they form.

jimg
02-15-2012, 10:03 AM
I agree with Al and would like to add that you should spend a lot of time researching water quality and make up ie kh,gh,ph etc. all water is different in different areas. you need to combine your water make up with your feeding, discus, filters, tank size etc and find what it takes to keep your water consistent and clean. some can change water 1x a week others have to change larger amounts sooner

discus day
02-15-2012, 10:29 AM
I find researching pointless as there are justbas many bad articles as there are good that's Why I prefer to go straight to the source like asking u guys as much as possible

Skip
02-15-2012, 10:34 AM
I find researching pointless as there are justbas many bad articles as there are good that's Why I prefer to go straight to the source like asking u guys as much as possible

research in SIMPLY DISCUS.. thats what they mean.. you are asking questions that many people before you have asked and will ask..

so by using the search function at the top right corner of this page.. you can start to look for other threads on this WC topic..

or like i did in the beginning.. GOOGLE what ever topic you want.. and then add SIMPLY DISCUS to the end.. you would be surprised at what comes up..

YSS
02-15-2012, 10:38 AM
-1.5" are fry and should have multiple 90%+ wc daily
2-3.5" are juvies and requires 50%+ daily
4-5" is considered sub adults can be mix with planted tanks and requires 75% every 2-3
5.5"+ are consider adults and need atleast 1 90%+ a week 2 would be better

I posted this in another thread about water change and shinshin said I was wrong I asked him what was wrong with It and he proceed not to answer. So can anyone tell me what's wrong with this water change schedule and explain please?

What else is wrong with this statement? It doesn't state how many fish and the tank size. If you have one 1.5" fish in a 100G tank, you won't be doing 90% daily water changes. If you have 100 1.5" fish in a 10G tank .... You get the picture, hopefully ...

jimg
02-15-2012, 10:39 AM
I find researching pointless as there are justbas many bad articles as there are good that's Why I prefer to go straight to the source like asking u guys as much as possiblewe can only tell you what works for us. you need to research and try each way until you find your way, the right way. that's how you gain real experience.

DiscusOnly
02-15-2012, 11:12 AM

What is working for one person may be a disaster for another. There are so many variables. Sounds like you are looking for the quick and easy answer. Discus hobby is no different than any other.. it takes time. There are bad information out there because there are those who simply type in and post things as facts versus what they are experienced.

It's no secret that SD has a lot of valuable information on discus. A new member should be doing more reading and researching than posting.

Larry Bugg
02-15-2012, 11:18 AM
Al is giving great advice. There are too many vairables. If you will notice, when this kind of question is asked those who have a lot of experience won't answer without first asking a lot more questions. These questions define the variables that Al pointed out. That said, I think another part of the issue was that your original post sounded as though you were stating or telling what a W/C routine should be, not asking what it should be. I'm still not really clear on that. I've been on Simply for 2 1/2 years and keeping discus for about 3 years. That is not very long compared to a lot of these guys here. I listen to what they say because they have the experience and I only give advice if it is something that I can speak from experience about or I may quote a source about a subject. Not trying to point fingers but a lot of new discus keepers come and post up a storm giving out advice based on what they have heard or read and a lot of that may be out of context............again as in the variables. You mentioned doing research as being pointless due to the varying opinions. I would submit that if those new to discus would not jump into handing out advice and left it up to the experienced then you wouldn't have this problem. I'm don't mean all this to be directed at you. You have just hit on a subject that really gets under my skin. There are way too many new people giving out advice. I am sure they do it because the want to be a part of the community and they want to help but if they don't have the experience then it may be more destructive than helpful and that is not what we are all about here. A poster on your other thread felt he was justified in answering some of the questions because he was a experienced aquarist but he had never kept discus before. I could have 50 years experience (and I do) keeping aquariums but if I had no experience keeping Tanganyikan's (and I don't) then I would never give out advice about them. Ok that is my rant. I'm glad your thread let me unload that. Again, this was not all addressed to you but rather new people in general.

Skip
02-15-2012, 11:18 AM
It's no secret that SD has a lot of valuable information on discus. A new member should be doing more reading and researching than posting.

new members, DON"T KNOW about the search function.. at least at first.. it took me WEEKS to realize the NEW POST link.. much less the SEARCH Function.. LOL

but they learn in time.. as i did :)

jimg
02-15-2012, 11:33 AM
just want to add one more thing, I/we understand what you are saying, it is in thought easier to ask experienced for a straight answer than to read through hundreds of articles/posts spending hours researching then ending up with 20 different answers. but the fact imo is, there are 20 different ways! just have to find yours.
I am one who will spend hours/weeks looking for an answer but find different opinions so i try the way the most experienced do then i adjust as needed. sometimes and new person will have me trying their ways too and it works. don't hurt to ask!

discus day
02-15-2012, 11:35 AM
What I find is that we should remember not everyone speaks English naturally so it may seem different than what was intended. The advice I give expert may Not agree with but its been working for me. Isn't that the point of advice is to share what works? I have tried many techniques shared but expert that I found to be a disaster for me. I'm nit just talking about discus but more of advice in general.

What us find is that people who are suppose to be experts and helpful are Really rude when it comes to something they have answered a dozen times.

I have try to use the search funtion ad the threads that shows up a lot of time has nothing to do with what I'm looking for. It can take dayss reading through all that to find the answer I'm looking for. I prefer to post since I get the answer I need relatively faster.

I think there should be a sticky with detailed answers to FAQ

Skip
02-15-2012, 11:38 AM
What us find is that people who are suppose to be experts and helpful are Really rude when it comes to something they have answered a dozen times.

i think you should just let it go...

you have your new thread.. no need to bring up past events..

carry on :)

discus day
02-15-2012, 11:49 AM
i think you should just let it go...

you have your new thread.. no need to bring up past events..

carry on :)

It isn't just aboout that other threat its about the forum. Were suppose to be promoting this hobby but how can we get others involve if they get yell at for asking questions. Personally I think its a bad look for the forum. Like jimg said there aare different ways to approach things but the experts gets mad if you suggest something they don't agreed with. But back to the topic and enough Of my ranting lol.

Can I get away with over stocking of I do aalot of water changes?

roclement
02-15-2012, 11:52 AM
Al, great post, you read my mind and toughts! :)

May I suggest that we create a standard questionaire, similar to the disease questionaire, for wc/feeding/stocking questions? Kinda like, hey I am new here, can someone help me with my set-up plans? Sure! Fill in the questionaire so we can all help you!

This would give newbs to the forum a chance to think about the questions that they are yet to know they need to think about! For example, a new person to discus may not think that fish size is pertinent, they are new! Now if the question is in the questionaire, the new discus keeper will think about it thus saving everyone the agrevation.

I agree with Hans 100% that more and more, the more experienced people have been very quiet lately and I'll add that temperament seems to be flairing everywhere! Maybe it's the time of the year with breeding season upon us all! :) Maybe, just maybe, if we provide some more guides to the new members so that they can think a bit more before they start another controversial thread, we may all win in the end.

Here is my scenario...new guy joins the forum and posts that he needs help setting up his new discus tank, first person to reply answers...hi there! welcome to the forum, please fill in the questionaire fond here (link) so we can all help you achieve your goal! May I also suggest that you take a look at the beginners section on such and such threads? (link)

Just my respectfull idea.

Rodrigo

DiscusOnly
02-15-2012, 11:57 AM
It isn't just aboout that other threat its about the forum. Were suppose to be promoting this hobby but how can we get others involve if they get yell at for asking questions. Personally I think its a bad look for the forum. Like jimg said there aare different ways to approach things but the experts gets mad if you suggest something they don't agreed with. But back to the topic and enough Of my ranting lol.

Can I get away with over stocking of I do aalot of water changes?

You can get away with overstocking if you keep your water pristine. Noticed I didn't say water changes? There are other variables such as types of food, feed schedule, biofilter, you goals, etc..

This is all part of the "learning experience". Try it and post your results. I've done it and still do but I don't go around promoting it.

discus day
02-15-2012, 12:00 PM
You can get away with overstocking if you keep your water pristine. Noticed I didn't say water changes? There are other variables such as types of food, feed schedule, biofilter, you goals, etc..

This is all part of the "learning experience". Try it and post your results. I've done it and still do but I don't go around promoting it.

With average feeding and a good filtration set up wouldn't more water change provide more clear fresh water?

Skip
02-15-2012, 12:00 PM

+1
get'r done

Skip
02-15-2012, 12:01 PM
With average feeding and a good filtration set up wouldn't more water change provide more clear fresh water?

of course..
you can NEVER EVER GO wrong with MORE WATER CHANGES>.

discus problems develop from Water Quality issues..

and

WATER QUALITY is the answer to most Discus problems..

of course..
you can NEVER EVER GO wrong with MORE WATER CHANGES>.

discus problems develop from Water Quality issues..

and

WATER QUALITY is the answer to most Discus problems..

brewmaster15
02-15-2012, 12:04 PM
What I find is that we should remember not everyone speaks English naturally so it may seem different than what was intended. The advice I give expert may Not agree with but its been working for me. Isn't that the point of advice is to share what works? I have tried many techniques shared but expert that I found to be a disaster for me. I'm nit just talking about discus but more of advice in general.

I have try to use the search funtion ad the threads that shows up a lot of time has nothing to do with what I'm looking for. It can take dayss reading through all that to find the answer I'm looking for. I prefer to post since I get the answer I need relatively faster.

I think there should be a sticky with detailed answers to FAQ

Now see... This is why experienced members get ticked off when someone asks for advice... You were answered. You were given advice....and instead of taking that advice, you bring this up...

What us find is that people who are suppose to be experts and helpful are Really rude when it comes to something they have answered a dozen times. why? why bring it up again... and why belittle those trying to help you as some are here. Posts like yours that focus on a negative experience take away from all the positives and make it less likely experienced members will offer help. The other thing with your comment is that you assume an expert has to help... They don't..

A story...I got my degree in Biology... I spent many hours out in the field learning everything I could.. I thought I knew it all... until I took a field trip with a professor that was to become my mentor... He turned the world upside down as far as what I knew, and he had no problem correcting me when I was wrong which often was infront of my classmates. From him, I learned to be humble in what I thought I knew...I never lost that lesson.... and I never was disrespectful to that man , far from it...I worshipped the ground he walked on, and do to this day. He tried to help me and every other student that he had learn about things few people could understand.

I think it would be a far better world if others learned a measure of humbleness and measure of gratitude.

Regards,
al

discus day
02-15-2012, 12:05 PM
I actually started last October and bought a 2.5 inch panda from Kenny and I've been going with my gut. But the more I read the more I see my techniques are wrongs. I went from planted to bare and my panda is now 4.5" and is Really round so I'm not sure what to think about the advice givn vs mu gut. I will continue to do what has been working for me and see if the panda will grow and be up to standards.

discus day
02-15-2012, 12:10 PM
Now see... This is why experienced members get ticked off when someone asks for advice... You were answered. You were given advice....and instead of taking that advice, you bring this up...

why? why bring it up again... and why belittle those trying to help you as some are here. Posts like yours that focus on a negative experience take away from all the positives and make it less likely experienced members will offer help. The other thing with your comment is that you assume an expert has to help... They don't..

A story...I got my degree in Biology... I spent many hours out in the field learning everything I could.. I thought I knew it all... until I took a field trip with a professor that was to become my mentor... He turned the world upside down as far as what I knew, and he had no problem correcting me when I was wrong which often was infront of my classmates. From him, I learned to be humble in what I thought I knew...I never lost that lesson.... and I never was disrespectful to that man , far from it...I worshipped the ground he walked on, and do to this day. He tried to help me and every other student that he had learn about things few people could understand.

I think it would be a far better world if others learned a measure of humbleness and measure of gratitude.

Regards,
al

Al it wasn't just from last night but I've notice it throughout. The forum. No not everyone is like that and I'm glad. I didn't mean This belittle anyone far from my intentions.

I always follow advice I reciege but I find that sometime the advice offers by experts don't work for me

brewmaster15
02-15-2012, 12:11 PM
Al, great post, you read my mind and toughts! :)

May I suggest that we create a standard questionaire, similar to the disease questionaire, for wc/feeding/stocking questions? Kinda like, hey I am new here, can someone help me with my set-up plans? Sure! Fill in the questionaire so we can all help you!

This would give newbs to the forum a chance to think about the questions that they are yet to know they need to think about! For example, a new person to discus may not think that fish size is pertinent, they are new! Now if the question is in the questionaire, the new discus keeper will think about it thus saving everyone the agrevation.

I agree with Hans 100% that more and more, the more experienced people have been very quiet lately and I'll add that temperament seems to be flairing everywhere! Maybe it's the time of the year with breeding season upon us all! :) Maybe, just maybe, if we provide some more guides to the new members so that they can think a bit more before they start another controversial thread, we may all win in the end.

Here is my scenario...new guy joins the forum and posts that he needs help setting up his new discus tank, first person to reply answers...hi there! welcome to the forum, please fill in the questionaire fond here (link) so we can all help you achieve your goal! May I also suggest that you take a look at the beginners section on such and such threads? (link)

Just my respectfull idea.

Rodrigo

Rod thats a great idea. We had hoped that by having Beginners board this would be the place for this kind of thing to take place. We hoped that members that were new to discus would read it. The Assumption being those posting there would be beginners....but maybe that assumption is wrong. The idea of a questionaire is not a bad one... and has merit.. and we could look into it.

Does anyone out there want to volunteer working on something like? I would not mind the assistance :) , especially if it helps the forum run smoothly!

Thanks,
al

Skip
02-15-2012, 12:13 PM
I will continue to do what has been working for me and see if the panda will grow and be up to standards.

what standards are you referring to..

PS.. well said AL

discus day
02-15-2012, 12:20 PM
Healthy happy round fish =) nothingshow quality lol

mrblah00
02-15-2012, 12:28 PM
Glad to see some good ideas coming out of this. I've been a member on here for a few years. I don't post much, but I log in daily and read threads and try to learn. I'm extremly reluctant to answer questions as I don't wany to mislead people. I don't know when I will feel confident to answer questions but untill then I would like to thank all of you for the advice that you so freely give. I couldn't have had the success I have had without all of your help
Sam

Skip
02-15-2012, 12:28 PM
Healthy happy round fish =) nothingshow quality lol

water changes and good foods..

the older/larger the fish the stronger and more tolerant it is of owners mistakes ..

juvies.. not so much..

your 2.5' fish from OCT.. may not get much larger then the 4.5 it is now... BUT it will probably thicken up :)

ps.. SAM.. we all have learned something.. whether it leads to positive or negative results..

brewmaster15
02-15-2012, 12:56 PM
Looks like I have a volunteer to help work on Rods Idea.:D

-al

roclement
02-15-2012, 12:59 PM
Great Al! If you need my help, you know how to reach me! Forward and upwards!

Rodrigo

terps
02-15-2012, 01:32 PM
"Changing water and cleaning the aquarium

For an aquarium containing 180 litres (with c. 12 discus fish and companion fish) changing
10-20 % of the water in the aquarium once a week or changing 30 % every two weeks is normally sufficient. "

http://www.diskuszucht-stendker.de/gb/586,0,waterchange,index,0.html

Skip
02-15-2012, 01:34 PM
nice link..

discus day
02-15-2012, 01:58 PM
water changes and good foods..

the older/larger the fish the stronger and more tolerant it is of owners mistakes ..

juvies.. not so much..

your 2.5' fish from OCT.. may not get much larger then the 4.5 it is now... BUT it will probably thicken up :)

ps.. SAM.. we all have learned something.. whether it leads to positive or negative results..

Why do you say that? Its been growind since igot it and spent most of it time in a planted tank untiil I switched over to bre last month. Its very round and shows no sign of stunt. Ill try to post a pic of it soon

Skip
02-15-2012, 02:07 PM
Why do you say that? Its been growind since igot it and spent most of it time in a planted tank untiil I switched over to bre last month. Its very round and shows no sign of stunt. Ill try to post a pic of it soon

the first 4 months of life of a discus are very important for it to reach its best growth.. THEN is slows down after that..

normal/usual growth seen..

1" per month for 4 months.. (some strains grow alittle faster/slower then other strains)

in my experience if you don't reach those bench marks.. they won't get as large..

HOWEVER>. like i said.. they will still grow some more.. but will get thicker..

in a year.. you will know what you have :)

discus day
02-15-2012, 02:28 PM
OK great I think its on track as its really round but ill get a pic and let you guys be the judge. Allspice I read the link from above and I noted they say to use cold water. Wouldn't That put them into temp shock?

Skip
02-15-2012, 03:23 PM
OK great I think its on track as its really round but ill get a pic and let you guys be the judge. Allspice I read the link from above and I noted they say to use cold water. Wouldn't That put them into temp shock?

i have been chewing on that same statement..

they do 10-30% water change.. so i don't think it we has harmful.. cuz 90-70% is still there..

JenTN
02-15-2012, 03:51 PM
i have been chewing on that same statement..

they do 10-30% water change.. so i don't think it we has harmful.. cuz 90-70% is still there..

Ive ALWAYS wondered about using warm water to fill a tank. I only use cold to cook for the reason stendker says...faucet instructions carry this warning. I carried out a 30% wc once and inadvertantly introduced COLD water...I was worried, especially about my rams and cardinals. A few hours later, looked over and my rams had spawned lol.

discus day
02-15-2012, 03:54 PM
Then why do we even have to float fish? Lol Is plop them in =p. But I would like a clear answer on this.

andyl9063
02-15-2012, 04:36 PM
Then why do we even have to float fish? Lol Is plop them in =p. But I would like a clear answer on this.

you mean float fish when you first get them?
if so, I believe it is for the fish to get acclimate to their water temp, etc.. slowly without being directly affected if you were to plop them in. This give them the chance to slowly get used to all the water conditions so as not to get a shock.
But if its coming from same tank, parameters, i just plop them in.

RudeDogg1
02-15-2012, 04:36 PM
Most people don't float them anymore

RudeDogg1
02-15-2012, 04:38 PM
You only need to add a lil tank water to the bag leave a couple mins and plop them in the tank simples

Skip
02-15-2012, 05:03 PM
once bag is opened and the bag water enters.. it causes ammonia levels to increase. (i am talking about fish shipped in bags over night, NOT 15 min. lfs trip).. as long as the water temp and tank temp are withing a few degrees.. drop N plop is better then letting them sit in ammonia increased water..
jus my 2 cents.. its what i do, as others before me..

you , do as you chose.. :)

you can float them THEN open bag.. if you feel the need to FLOAT

andyl9063
02-15-2012, 05:10 PM
once bag is opened and the bag water enters.. it causes ammonia levels to increase. (i am talking about fish shipped in bags over night, NOT 15 min. lfs trip).. as long as the water temp and tank temp are withing a few degrees.. drop N plop is better then letting them sit in ammonia increased water..
jus my 2 cents.. its what i do, as others before me..

you , do as you chose.. :)

you can float them THEN open bag.. if you feel the need to FLOAT

yes great clarification.
normally from lfs, i float bag, but if they were shipped, i just plop them in.

Skip
02-15-2012, 05:10 PM
yes great clarification.
normally from lfs, i float bag, but if they were shipped, i just plop them in.

:angel:

andyl9063
02-15-2012, 05:11 PM
:angel:
im just piggybacking all your comments apparently lol

discus day
02-15-2012, 05:13 PM
i think the subject got side track again lol but how do you think i should approach water change if its advice to use cold water?

andyl9063
02-15-2012, 05:15 PM
i think the subject got side track again lol but how do you think i should approach water change if its advice to use cold water?

all my discus, i use cold water for water change. I just have two heaters to heat it up fast. Sometimes, I run the hot water a little bit, but thats when its really cold.......

Skip
02-15-2012, 05:16 PM

my advise.

START your discus tank.. and start with water changes HOW YOU Want.. and then make adjustments as you need.. whether thats % change, times per week to change.. age or not.. ETC...

padawan.. you have get off the bench and get in the game.. if you are to learn.. get the fish and start water changing.. you can't PLAN OUT EVERYTHING>. you can only get IDEA Of what must be done... YOU still have do it ;)

i myself am going to do a COLD WC cuz, i am having problems with microbubbles so, i want to see how the cool water acts tonight..

andyl9063
02-15-2012, 05:20 PM
my bad, didn't know you havent started the tank, thought you did already.

yea you should start up tank and start measuring stuff so you can get a better idea what amount of waste is there and how it affect nitrates and all that.

Skip
02-15-2012, 05:22 PM
my bad, didn't know you havent started the tank, thought you did already.

yea you should start up tank and start measuring stuff so you can get a better idea what amount of waste is there and how it affect nitrates and all that.

i don't think OP has.. there are a couple of new people posting water change stuff and i hope i did not get him confused..

jimg
02-15-2012, 05:23 PM
imo water being consistent includes temp. I always unless trying to induce spawning use water close to the same temp.

discus day
02-15-2012, 05:27 PM
i have started my tank its been up but im confuse as to the use of cold water vs warm water due to the link posted earlier about how warm water may have copper in it or something like that. cant remember word for word.

Brokenrack
02-15-2012, 05:29 PM
i don't think OP has.. there are a couple of new people posting water change stuff and i hope i did not get him confused..
I beleive he does. I beleive he mentioned in another post $2000.00 worth 16 fish from 3-6" in one 125gal tank. Started getting them in Oct.

Skip
02-15-2012, 05:34 PM
DD.. for me.. i think the COLD WATER thing works well since they do 10-30% water change..

doing 50-90% str8 tap change.. would probably be too much.. so it comes down to what % WC do YOU want to do..

discus day
02-15-2012, 05:35 PM
well so fare 75-85% been working good for me so ill keep at it thanks for all the help =]

Brokenrack
02-15-2012, 05:35 PM
If you got a vessel put cold water in heated, aireated and then decorinated it be fore adding it to your tank I don't think anyone would say you did something wrong.

Skip
02-15-2012, 05:37 PM
well so fare 75-85% been working good for me so ill keep at it thanks for all the help =]

well.. THERE YOU GO :)

brewmaster15
02-15-2012, 05:41 PM
i myself am going to do a COLD WC cuz, i am having problems with microbubbles so, i want to see how the cool water acts tonight.. Skip, Those microbubbles are from dissolved gases in the water...Cold water actually holds gas better than warm water....so doing a cold water water change should not affect that .... water storage, aeration and heating will however.

hth,
al

Skip
02-15-2012, 05:45 PM
Al.. Idk what it is.. But the warmer the water.. During wc.. The more smokey it comes out... Cooler water not so much

Brokenrack
02-15-2012, 06:00 PM
Al.. Idk what it is.. But the warmer the water.. During wc.. The more smokey it comes out... Cooler water not so much

Skip I think it(gas) just comes out slower when it's cold. Just an opinion though.

brewmaster15
02-15-2012, 06:02 PM
Al.. Idk what it is.. But the warmer the water.. During wc.. The more smokey it comes out... Cooler water not so muchThat pretty much fits. The gases are probably still there in the cold water Skip, but they take longer to come out of Solution....so they seem less.

Have you ever tried to take a pH reading from the tap, and then take one from a bucket that was aerated over night. If the pH difference is great and the tap is lower in pH. You may be dealing with CO2. Are you on a well or municipal? If well, CO2 is likely. If Municipal... maybe not. However you might want to check your Hot water heater...it may have air in the tank. Just some things to consider.

-al

TNT77
02-15-2012, 06:03 PM
Could it be the combined release of pressure plus the hot water changing the temp so fast pushes the air out at a faster rate?

mrblah00
02-15-2012, 06:09 PM
The way I understand it the micro bubbles in warm tap water will be worse. Take the water at the treatemnt plant in winter is cold. Cold water holds more gas add pressure, pipe it to your house and heat it under pressure and the disolved gasses become micro bubbles when it comes from the tap. Am I getting this right? Give the water rime to age.....no issues.

Cambik
02-15-2012, 06:33 PM
I live about 30 minutes drive from Skip, We are on two different water systems and get the water from two different sources. however I have the exact same issue as him. The water when cold does not have bubbles like it does when I change the water out that is at or close to tank temp prior to the water change. We both have municiple water Al. I know as I have seen his apartment. I have seen a slight slime coat drop after a water change but if the water going in is around 5 degrees or more colder they don't seem as stressed. However my discus are asking for food the entire time so it can't be to bad either way.

bigjohnson
02-15-2012, 06:39 PM
i may be speaking out of turn...very new to w/c, parameters, etc...but been reading and only have discus less than 1 week. I age my water (cold) from the tap (ph 7.6)...using a pond pump and heater to bring up to temp and circulate water overnight...ph decreases a bit (7.2), when temp is approx +1 degree over tank I start to pump into tank (after vac, or just removal of water) because I loose approx 1degree of temp during pumping from agining tank to fish tank...add "safe" for the 75 gal (size of tank) mixed with water a pour in slowly while new water's going in...the fish look like they really appreciate it. No smokey water here...I'm doing 30 gal water change to a 75 gal tank every other day for now...not as bad as i thought...but haven't seen a water bill yet, but that won't matter.

Mark J

Skip
02-15-2012, 06:39 PM
last winter was no problem..

maybe we just need warmer temps (100 degrees + ) and we will be ok.. LOL

discus day
02-15-2012, 06:41 PM
im curious as to this whole aging water thing. how do i age 100 gal of water? how do you guys with bigger tanks do it? i mean i have a spare 55 that i use as qt and plan to use a breeding but i cant imagine how i would age 100gal

Skip
02-15-2012, 06:43 PM
im curious as to this whole aging water thing. how do i age 100 gal of water? how do you guys with bigger tanks do it? i mean i have a spare 55 that i use as qt and plan to use a breeding but i cant imagine how i would age 100gal

some use 55g plastic food grade barrels or cubic water container from like a feed store.. they can hole up to 300g.. depends on which you get.. Nicholson has like 8 or 10 in roof of his fish room!! yikes!!!

brewmaster15
02-15-2012, 06:44 PM
im curious as to this whole aging water thing. how do i age 100 gal of water? how do you guys with bigger tanks do it? i mean i have a spare 55 that i use as qt and plan to use a breeding but i cant imagine how i would age 100gal Some use dedicated water storage barrels (jehmco.com sells some) others re-purpose 55 gal plastic drums from soda companies (often had for as little as $50) I use rubbermaid garbage cans.. They hold 45 gals each...add a heater add an airstone and you are good to go.

-al

brewmaster15
02-15-2012, 06:44 PM
Guess you beat me to it skip. :)

-al

Skip
02-15-2012, 06:46 PM
Guess you beat me to it skip. :)

-al

FOR THE WIN!

discus day
02-15-2012, 07:04 PM
Some use dedicated water storage barrels (jehmco.com sells some) others re-purpose 55 gal plastic drums from soda companies (often had for as little as $50) I use rubbermaid garbage cans.. They hold 45 gals each...add a heater add an airstone and you are good to go.

-al

doesnt the rubermaid bow? i have a 35g rubermaid storage container that when fill half way with water it starts bowing

Skip
02-15-2012, 07:07 PM
doesnt the rubermaid bow? i have a 35g rubermaid storage container that when fill half way with water it starts bowing

a CAN and Container are two different things..

container will bow..
http://img.directindustry.com/images_di/photo-g/plastic-container-91504.jpg

can will not..

http://www.missionrs.com/mm5/graphics/00000001/vendors/rubbermaid_2610_LG.jpg

brewmaster15
02-15-2012, 07:36 PM
a CAN and Container are two different things..

container will bow..

can will not..

http://www.missionrs.com/mm5/graphics/00000001/vendors/rubbermaid_2610_LG.jpg Bingo. :)

Larry Bugg
02-15-2012, 07:39 PM
330 gallon tote for me.

http://i741.photobucket.com/albums/xx56/Bugman30040/DSC_0003.jpg

discus day
02-15-2012, 07:44 PM
feels like science class lol

Bill63SG
02-15-2012, 08:52 PM
Found a guy by me selling these for $20.Held tomatoe paste.72363

TURQ64
02-15-2012, 09:48 PM
Two of these, four of them.....daily

http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/vv319/Royaliste/fishroom/DSC_0183.jpg

brewmaster15
02-15-2012, 09:59 PM

http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/vv319/Royaliste/fishroom/DSC_0183.jpg Gary, thats one heck of a plumbing set up... how many Ro units is that there? wow.

--al

TURQ64
02-15-2012, 10:08 PM
Al, the photo is a month old; much of what you see is now hard plumbed, including the totes and the shallow well pump that was temporarily on top in the photo..4 RO units at present, one in the wings..one 200gpd, two 160 gpd, and one 100gpd. three DI's, but I use them irregularly. I have multiple units due to the fact that living rurally, I can get some types of 10" cartridges in a pinch. Otherwise, I'd be using commercial 20" units...I use no tap.

Skip
02-15-2012, 10:12 PM
i like the RECLINER in the middle where the CAPTAIN can relax!!

unijabass
02-15-2012, 10:34 PM
OMG, I hardly found a space for my 33 gal. brute:(
Great set up!!
So, for my 80 gal tank + 40 gal sump it is better to do two times a week 80% (Monday-Thursday), or 33gal every second day?
I siphon with WC.(pool sand)

I have 7 discus(5-8"), pleco, and 24 rummies.
What would you guys do.I see some nitrates spike after before i change water(goes up to 15) , and that worries me.

yim11
02-16-2012, 03:04 AM

http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/vv319/Royaliste/fishroom/DSC_0183.jpg

Now THAT'S a fish room! :)

bigjohnson
02-16-2012, 04:53 PM
words cannot express what i felt when i saw this pic, where did you get the clean "cubes" from...we get machining oil in cubes just like that where i work! my chair would have to have a place to hold a beer...nice set up.

mark j

shoveltrash
02-16-2012, 05:57 PM
I have a 55g Rubbermaid Brute trash can (as pictured on pg 5), and a 55g plastic barrel (old pickling barrel) for water storage :). but my setup is stone-age primitive compared to TURQ64's!!!!