PDA

View Full Version : Sorry about last post, New WC schedule

Christople
02-15-2012, 11:21 AM
So, those of you who know what happened last thread of mine, sorry for that, but I decided where I'd put the tank and is is close enough to a faucet where I could get a python hose and do two 50% WC a week, again stocking would be 6 rams 6-8 discus and that's it. Let's say 50% monday and then 50% friday?

Skip
02-15-2012, 11:27 AM
good luck

cjr8420
02-15-2012, 12:17 PM
So, those of you who know what happened last thread of mine, sorry for that, but I decided where I'd put the tank and is is close enough to a faucet where I could get a python hose and do two 50% WC a week, again stocking would be 6 rams 6-8 discus and that's it. Let's say 50% monday and then 50% friday?
just do the most u can and let the discus tell u if its enough if it is they will eat lots a be happy if not enough they will not look healthy and get sick to many variables to give u an exact answer.what ever advice u get use or dont use but dont tell the people that know why u think they are wrong kinda defeats the purpose of asking in the first place hth

JenTN
02-15-2012, 02:09 PM
I'm brand new to this too..these guys know what they are talking about. I'm growing out juvies in a 55 with rams. I do w/c daily. I got sick and missed two in a row. They are right, the discus tell you. They were huddled by the filter, darker. Gave them a couple good changes, they were back to swiming in a group back and forth, begging for food, and digging in the substrate!

Discus-n00b
02-15-2012, 02:50 PM
Sorry, I didn't really dive into the old thread. Can I get some basics from you like tank size? Live plants, wood and sand, or barebottom? What size discus? Lots of factors can go into your WC routine. Like said above, the discus will tell you. Not saying let them get to a point of looking terrible to do something about it, but you can tell when a discus isn't quite right, adjust accordingly. It sounds like a start to me. You can tell when the tank is getting dirty, or when the fish aren't just right, maybe then you can step up the WCs.

Orange Crush
02-15-2012, 03:02 PM
I could get a python hose and do two 50% WC a week, again stocking would be 6 rams 6-8 discus and that's it. Let's say 50% monday and then 50% friday?
It depends on the size of your discus but either way that is what I would consider a bare minimum amount of water changes. My discus are 4-5" and I still do 90% per day. I use a python and it is so easy to do, it might take some time but I can do other things while the python does the work, I stay by the tank to keep an eye on it but I will eat dinner or catch up on emails etc. I look at my discus and see an almost $500 investment and fish that are depending on me to provide for them the best life they can have in a tank, I am unwilling to risk their health just because a water change takes up some of my day.

andyl9063
02-15-2012, 04:45 PM
It depends on the size of your discus but either way that is what I would consider a bare minimum amount of water changes. My discus are 4-5" and I still do 90% per day. I use a python and it is so easy to do, it might take some time but I can do other things while the python does the work, I stay by the tank to keep an eye on it but I will eat dinner or catch up on emails etc. I look at my discus and see an almost $500 investment and fish that are depending on me to provide for them the best life they can have in a tank, I am unwilling to risk their health just because a water change takes up some of my day.

wow, really? 90% a day? mine is at that level and i feed about 6 times a day and i do 90% every three days or four days....my tank is overstock as well.
mine was a 90g tank. Back when they were in 30g, it was every other day.

Skip
02-15-2012, 04:57 PM
wow, really? 90% a day? mine is at that level and i feed about 6 times a day and i do 90% every three days or four days....my tank is overstock as well.

some do more then others..

and the results are in the fish.. its pretty simple :)

andyl9063
02-15-2012, 05:03 PM
some do more then others..

and the results are in the fish.. its pretty simple :)

true dat. whatever works for you.

Skip
02-15-2012, 05:05 PM
true dat. whatever works for you.

;)

TNT77
02-15-2012, 06:50 PM
I do at least 75% on my 90g a day. I see massive growth in this tank compared to the ones that get 50% a day.

Christople
02-15-2012, 10:12 PM
I would have any where from 75 gallon to 100 gallon, which ever I can find for the right price on craig'slist, I would have 6-8 discus with maybe 6 rams but maybe 4 who knows. Plants not sure for I don't know but I do know at least some amazon swords and a lot of stem plants. and not a bb for sure.

Orange Crush
02-15-2012, 10:22 PM
Just keep in mind that discus need 10 gallons of water each and if you have plants and substrate you are replacing some of the water with other stuff so a 75 gallon tank can no longer hold 75 gallons worth of fish. You can overstock a tank but you have to be really on top of water changes and do not miss any of them. I used to do that but then stuff you dont plan for happens and you are S.O.L.

Christople
02-16-2012, 11:49 AM
Yeah, I'm leaning to getting a 100 or so but stick the the stocking list with 7-8 discus with 4-6 rams, would one 50% WC on Monday and then one 50% WC on Friday work with that stocking list and tank size?

Skip
02-16-2012, 11:54 AM
Yeah, I'm leaning to getting a 100 or so but stick the the stocking list with 7-8 discus with 4-6 rams, would one 50% WC on Monday and then one 50% WC on Friday work with that stocking list and tank size?

will your tank be CYCLED or brand new when you put the fish in?!

what size fish do you want to get? or better yet.. what is your budget for fish?

PAR23
02-16-2012, 11:54 AM
A lot of variables here.......How big discus? What is your filtration system? Your feeding program? What kind of substrate?

Skip
02-16-2012, 11:56 AM
A lot of variables here.......How big discus? What is your filtration system? Your feeding program? What kind of substrate?

yep.. NO COOKIE cutter methods here

nc0gnet0
02-16-2012, 12:42 PM

The problem with your question is your searching for absolutes in an environment that is constantly changing and extremely variable. There is no single "one" answer to your question and until you grasp this your ability to raise healthy happy discus will be compromised. As mentioned previously, stocking density, feeding schedule, what you feed, how old the fish are, the presence of any pathogens all factor in the equation.

It is not possible to do too many water changes (it is however possible to do them wrong). It is possible to not do enough water changes. As a general rule of thumb you should never have readable amounts of ammonia or nitrites, keep your nitrates below 10 ppm, and your water clear and free of free floating debris. If you maintain this environment your discus should do well. Also understand that filtratation is not a substitute for water changes, and any debris picked up by the filter is still technically in the tank.

During times of high stress or disease, additional water changes should be performed to help prevent the propagatiion of bacteria and or parasites.

hth
Rick

applekrate
02-16-2012, 03:26 PM
+1 on nc0gnet0 couldn't have said it better myself

Christople-

Also I would add, take your time and read everything on the fish and equipment. I had to upgrade some of the equipment because I didnt get it right the first time. I should have read more and saved do-overs.
In reference to your water changing schedule...I think of it this way...in the wild fish are used to a constant fresh water source so it a good goal to get as close to a natural habitat as you can or you feel good with. They are only tough fish if you over care for them and keep them healthy. Also, its an easy preventive for disease (way harder to treat them). Mon-Friday leaves alot of time for disease to settle in. Im just saying....
Try a search on using a transfer pump for water changes. If you set yourself up to make it super easy and quick maybe you wont mind them.
Before I had discus I had regular fresh fish and I thought how hard can this be? Well I enjoy the work of discus so it not hard for me but I can now see where someone never caring for discus could have an association that "all" fish are the same and have about the same needs. Not trying to discourage you just trying to say be pre-pared this breed is a "time eater" in my experience. Good luck and there's many people here to help when your stuck.

Skip
02-16-2012, 03:32 PM
apple.. very true..

i started my tank then added fish into uncycled tank.. EVEN though SD told me not to.. and let it cycle.. but i knew more then SD did...

it cost my 6 fish :(

applekrate
02-16-2012, 04:36 PM
Warlock4169
Sorry to hear- thats always a hard lesson:( --I do fully understand how hard it is to wait though. Thanks to SD I haven't lost any yet (Knock on wood)(extra knock).

shoveltrash
02-16-2012, 06:09 PM
I would have any where from 75 gallon to 100 gallon, which ever I can find for the right price on craig'slist, I would have 6-8 discus with maybe 6 rams but maybe 4 who knows. Plants not sure for I don't know but I do know at least some amazon swords and a lot of stem plants. and not a bb for sure.
what size Discus are you planning on getting? if you are determined to have substrate, and don't want to do more than 2 WCs a week, you'd better buy adults! but even then.....they really need more WCs.
so then warlock's question is pertinent - what's your fish budget?

Bill63SG
02-16-2012, 07:15 PM
apple.. very true..

i started my tank then added fish into uncycled tank.. EVEN though SD told me not to.. and let it cycle.. but i knew more then SD did...

it cost my 6 fish :(Lost 8 of 9,but I still have that 9nth.

Christople
02-16-2012, 10:43 PM
Cycled and probably 300 is max out for me on fish

discusdummy
02-16-2012, 11:36 PM
It's easy to cycle a tank in a hurry if you use same filters, sponges, and substrate from old tank I've moved multiple times with no problems just gotta keep everything wet with old tank water

Orange Crush
02-17-2012, 12:38 AM
It's easy to cycle a tank in a hurry if you use same filters, sponges, and substrate from old tank I've moved multiple times with no problems just gotta keep everything wet with old tank water
This works but then you are also at risk of exposing the discus to bacteria and other things which defeats the purpose of doing a QT on them.

Christople
02-17-2012, 08:07 PM
Okay so I tested my ta water and my tank water like I normally do but this time I tested a sink from a different level on the house, my tap water from the sink I normally test is 7.6 but this sink had a pH of 6.6. I thought "Hey, maybe since this sink isn't used this much it might have a lot of Co2." I let it sit and tested it again and hat did I get, 6.6, how is that possible?

Skip
02-17-2012, 08:22 PM
U need to aerate and test 24 hrs later... That is the way to test how it changes.. Jus letting it sit is not as effective as prescribed method

Christople
02-17-2012, 10:29 PM
I think that the water had sat in the pipe for a long time and soe elements had changed it or something so tomorrow will let the water run for a while and see

Christople
02-18-2012, 01:52 AM
Yeah so filter would be at least one canister filter that is rated for a forty gallon, and then another canister filter that will come with the tank I buy rated for the same size of the tank.

Christople
02-18-2012, 12:40 PM
I know this is starting over, but besides ammonia nitrite and nitrate, what makes that large amount of water changes necessary? If it's bacteria, then would a UV sterilizer help with that? Thank and I know I have a lot of questions

cjr8420
02-18-2012, 03:19 PM
no one really knows why lots of speculation but through yrs of breeders growing them out lots of massive water changes has been a proven way to make big healthy discus hth

walt3
02-18-2012, 04:37 PM
i would think multiple factors.the more you change the better off the fish are. i find this to be true. doesnt really matter why. its just the reality of discus. if you dont want to do water changes often, there are a lot of other cool fish out there to play with. daily changes are the way to go. the higher the precent the better. i do daily 1/3 and so far am getting pretty good results. if i think they require more i just up the percent. they will tell you. good luck.

tolga
02-18-2012, 05:05 PM
Another reason for frequent water changes as I understand, is to do with the need to to restore the ionic balance of the tank water and to replenish the essential trace elements which would otherwise be used up through oxidation and reduction. I'm sure other members with more experience would do a better job of expanding on this.

Christople
02-18-2012, 09:39 PM
Yeah but those things don't get depleted in a week, and I agree that water changes are necessary but I'm wondering for discus why are they so essential.

TNT77
02-18-2012, 10:03 PM
Yeah but those things don't get depleted in a week, and I agree that water changes are necessary but I'm wondering for discus why are they so essential.
Because of where dicus come from...the massive turnover rate in their natural enviroment. But more importantly...because it has been proven to work successfully for years. Ive seen the difference in my own tanks.

Christople
02-18-2012, 10:41 PM
Okay, Are Kenny's discus wild?

TNT77
02-18-2012, 10:44 PM
Okay, Are Kenny's discus wild?
Where do you think all these discus originated from? Where do you think their body chemistry and makeup came from? Wilds.

TNT77
02-18-2012, 10:45 PM
If you breed a clownfish in captivity does that mean it doesnt need saltwater anymore because its not wild?

cjr8420
02-19-2012, 12:40 AM
Okay, Are Kenny's discus wild?nope

yim11
02-19-2012, 12:56 AM
All the answers you are looking for are in the above replies. It's a combination of factors - amount fed/waste, element replenishment, tie in to natural conditions, etc. It's a proven method that works.

Bill63SG
02-19-2012, 11:00 AM
If you breed a clownfish in captivity does that mean it doesnt need saltwater anymore because its not wild?+1

Christople
02-19-2012, 11:55 AM
I'm not asking because of water changes I'm asking if they're captive because of parasites. I heard that all wild fish have parasites and is that true and would them having parasites be a problem?