PDA

View Full Version : Lighting help please

sayitfast
02-15-2012, 09:30 PM
I'm in the process of setting up a show tank and I think I have decided on the lights I'm going to use... they are the Panorama Pro lights from Ecoxotic.

I'm not going to be doing any plants so honestly my light requirements are more around aesthetics than anything else.

The lights can be seen here: Ecoxotic Panorama Pro (http://www.ecoxotic.com/aquarium-led-lights/led-light-fixture/24-panorama-pro-led-fixture.html)

Starting next month they will be offering these lights with the option to choose your lighting modules. They just sent me an email asking me "Just curious,what color combination would you want for your tank?".

So I would like some input from the group on what you would like to see for both a Planted and Non Planted freshwater tanks if you were considering these lights.

The modules they currently list on there site that can be swapped out can be seen here: Panorama Pro LED Modue (http://www.ecoxotic.com/aquarium-led-lights/panorama-modules/panorama-pro-module.html)

But I have the feeling they're open to other suggestions that might not be in mix so any input could be valuable to them.

Thanks!

Skip
02-15-2012, 09:33 PM
those lights are SWEET!!!!!!!!!!!!

over kill for discus.. BUT if i could get some i totally would!!!

jerman
02-18-2012, 02:39 AM
That is a fun but tough decision . The 12k whites have too high k rating for plants. I believe anything over 10k cannot be used by the plants. Blues do nothing for the plants too. But I believe a mix of blues and white brings the overall k rating down. So as an example 50/50 12k and blues gives you a visible effect of 6k(just a guess), which is perfect for plants. The blues will also make the colors of your fish pop. So I say 50/50 of 12k and blues

Darrell Ward
02-18-2012, 05:51 AM
Reef lighting sucks over freshwater. It makes everything look bluish purple, or too blue, and not natural at all. Better off looking for a color temp. of around 6500K, the natural color of sunlight.

sayitfast
02-18-2012, 01:07 PM
Kewl ... thanks for the input. Apparently they will be offering a freshwater option of 3-8k white with 2 magenta... should be nice.

I agree that the blues can really make the fish color pop... just as long as they don't overpower the white in the tank.