PDA

View Full Version : What's in a Name

sbayzden
02-16-2012, 11:12 AM
The naming of different Discus is quite confusing for a newcomer. When I view different vendor pages, there are several photos of Discus that look similar, yet to an untrained eye, I am not sure if they are the same or not. If there is anyone that would be able to help me out, it would be very helpful.
Red Spotted Golden
Golden Sunrise
Marlboro
Gold Leopard SS
Golden Mosiac
Tangerine Dream
Golden Spotted
Yellow Diamond
Red Leopard SS

I am interested in Golden's I guess:D
Also, if anyone knows, are any of these Pigeon based?

Thank you so much. I have spent endless hours in the archives and have not been able to find the answers that I have been looking for, so I figured I'd throw it out here.

Hope all are having a GREAT day!!

discus day
02-16-2012, 11:19 AM
From my understanding golden does not have pb but will show what looks like peppering when stressed

DiscusOnly
02-16-2012, 11:40 AM
Have you contacted the vendor? I would start there.

Skip
02-16-2012, 11:43 AM
From my understanding golden does not have pb but will show what looks like peppering when stressed

GOLDEN does not always mean Pigeon Blood...

peppering only occurs if fish have Pigeon Blood Genetics...

OP>

for sure, ask the VENDOR.. they know the fish..

sbayzden
02-16-2012, 11:43 AM
I just started contacting the vendors that I seen some of the photos on, but a few photos were on forum boards.
Thanks!!

discus day
02-16-2012, 11:54 AM
GOLDEN does not always mean Pigeon Blood...

peppering only occurs if fish have Pigeon Blood Genetics...

OP>

for sure, ask the VENDOR.. they know the fish..

That's why I said what Los like peppering. They do show black around the fins and sometimes black on the body.

nc0gnet0
02-16-2012, 12:14 PM
Actually, golden should never mean pigeon blood IMHO.

To get back on track, and back to the original question "Whats in a name?" It depends, some names do indeed mean, or at least imply, something, while others are purely whimsical in nature and serve more as a marketing gimmick as opposed to any genetic heritage.

To completely understand what is in a name, you need to have a basic understanding of the different geneotypes, patterns, and colors found in discus. Most names imply a combination of these three things as to what to expect in that particular discus. This is the way that most all discus used to get named.

However, with the discovery and propagation of new mutations and different colors and patterns, breeders started to move away from that naming strategy. Names that meant virtually nothing started to appear such as tangerine dream, Marlboro, etc.

So while it appears that your question (One i asked myself a few years ago) should be easy enough to answer, in all actuallity it can be quite complicated.

Rick

sbayzden
02-16-2012, 12:27 PM
Rick,
Thank you!!! I have been banging my head against the wall trying to get all this. It just seemed to me that the marketing strategy was more at work here than the actual genetic naming of the fish.

Is there a thread or a site that gives a breakdown of the genetic make up of most named Discus? e.g. the Red Spotted Golden

If there is not a thread on this, it would be a great thread topic I think.

Thanks again!!

Skip
02-16-2012, 12:43 PM
http://www.discusnada.org/discus/classification.html

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?71055-Strain-List-for-Beginners-(pictures)

http://www.simplydiscus.com/library/index.shtml

discus day
02-16-2012, 12:43 PM
Maybe I'm explaining it wrong. I suggest you call Kenny hE can explain it better than I can.