PDA

View Full Version : Things I deslike in some discus tanks

DiscusBR
02-17-2012, 12:48 PM
I know, beauty is the eye of the beholder. But here is a couple of things I don't like in some discus tanks I see around:

1. A tank with so many different discus varieties in different colors that it looks like a Christmas tree;

2. An overstocked tank that looks more like a busy intersection in New York City rather than a calming piece of nature;

3. A tank with discus in different sizes (juvies mixed with adults);

4. A planted tank with little room for the discus to swim that looks more like a salad bar than anything else.

What about you?

John_Nicholson
02-17-2012, 12:55 PM
Low quality crappy fish that the poster thinks are great.....

-john

YSS
02-17-2012, 01:46 PM
BB tank with nothing but a sponge filter and bunch of discus.

JenTN
02-17-2012, 01:49 PM
Don't come to my house, I'm guilty of #1!

nikond70s
02-17-2012, 01:54 PM
Lots of different strains in a show tank

All discus in different sizes in show tank

People showing off ugly discus with ugly shape and
Saying its beautiful

And how people thinks discus are super hard to keep

roclement
02-17-2012, 01:56 PM
I don't care for artificial decorartions or low quality fish, I'm a discus snob! :)

Rodrigo

Cabe
02-17-2012, 02:03 PM
There are certain things that I wouldn't do in MY fish tank, but I am ok seeing anyone's
fish and hearing about their experiences. No need to tell someone you don't like what you don't have to look at. :o
The only thing that would really make me cringe would be an opening treasure chest, clam shell or waving pirate in a tank! ;)

JenTN
02-17-2012, 02:05 PM
There are certain things that I wouldn't do in MY fish tank, but I am ok seeing anyone's
fish and hearing about their experiences. No need to tell someone you don't like what you don't have to look at. :o
The only thing that would really make me cringe would be an opening treasure chest, clam shell or waving pirate in a tank! ;)

A friend of mine from out of state sent me this HUGE skull tank decoration..I had to put it in my tank, take a picture, post it to facebook, and take it back out LOL.

ZX10R
02-17-2012, 02:09 PM

I am also

Chicago Discus
02-17-2012, 02:24 PM
I think everyone has there own taste when it comes to tanks and decorating.

JenTN
02-17-2012, 02:30 PM

Very true..and one's taste often changes with time, imo. I can't stand fish from different parts of the world mixed together (for example, guppies and barbs kept together) and that makes people think I am looney tunes so I tend not to share that in the "real world" lol.

Chicago Discus
02-17-2012, 02:42 PM
I have a 120 in my house that I call "The Short Bus Tank" its on the second floor landing in my house not near my fish room with the rest of my Discus. The Tank has older discus some stunted misshaped and all different colors. the tank has driftwood and a small layer of gravel. All the fish in the tank are healthy and happy but just don't have that pizzaz that people like in Discus due to age or misshaped. If anyone were to ask me what fish or tank in my house is my favorite I would point to the short bus tank upstairs. Those guys are so funny and humorous to me that when I feed them or clean their tank they give me such joy. Now with that said if I took pictures of the tank and showed everyone those old misshaped wrong pattern and color, Discus people would say what a horrible tank and those ugly fish their stunted and because of the way some of the old guys look (people would say they look sick and start giving me recommendation on medication.....LOL). Im just saying yea I can be a Discus snob and I have some beautiful Discus on all standards but sometimes its not what the Discus looks likes or the tank decorations or how many colors or patterns they have or how small their eyes are. I feel that if you have a Discus and its your Pet enjoy the fish, Who gives a $hit what people think...........Just my 2 cents.........Josie

babillba
02-17-2012, 02:49 PM
Have to go with Josie on this one. I love MY tanks b/c they are MINE. There are things that are cringe worthy to me, but if that person likes his/her stuff who the hell am I to say "you know, this is crap and that is crap"? Now if you ask me what kind of beer do you like to drink, NOW we in for a real debate! But, in all seriousness, is not that what makes the hobby fun, taking pleasure in one's own "artistry"?

JenTN
02-17-2012, 03:07 PM
I agree as well! Who cares about the decorations you choose, as long as it's not harming the fish! Shoot, you know what I don't like? Albino bristlenose plecos lol! I know a lot of people adore them, I have one (my son's, he loves him), I think he looks like a gross, withered up old man with red eyes!!

discus day
02-17-2012, 03:08 PM
i like my "holiday tree" =]

DiscusOnly
02-17-2012, 03:12 PM

Agreed.

Most people probably don't agree with my tank setup where I have plants growing all over the place (not placed in a neat order) with some dead leaves around. I think it's more natural than someone placing a large DW in the middle of a tank.

warblad79
02-17-2012, 03:26 PM
1. Low quality and peppered fish in my tank
2. Too much fish crap
3. Mixing different fish or strain
4. I can't stand stunted, razoz thin, large eye ball and football shape.
5. too much algae and dirty water.
6. Over decorated tank or too many plants
7. HOB filter
8. Too much lightning
9. Dark background
10. Definitely no substrate

pcsb23
02-17-2012, 03:56 PM
What I dislike the most is looking at some extremely high quality discus in a strain I want in someone else's tank and not mine!!

brewmaster15
02-17-2012, 04:10 PM
What I dislike the most is looking at some extremely high quality discus in a strain I want in someone else's tank and not mine!! Ditto!! :)

Bud Smith
02-17-2012, 04:12 PM
Tanks with small and large discus together

I do like the same spieces tank more and more

Poorly lighted tank

Algae build-up in tanks

But with that being said - to each their own

Cevoe
02-17-2012, 04:30 PM
I hate floating discus the most.
Also, I would like to see a picture of the short bus tank.

YSS
02-17-2012, 04:32 PM
Interesting to see so many people dislike tanks with different sized discus in it. I like tanks with mixed size fish (including discus).

nc0gnet0
02-17-2012, 04:49 PM
People that tell me what they don't like in my discus tank ;)

applekrate
02-17-2012, 04:49 PM
My tank is neutral in color so the only way I could add color was the fish. I'm guilty of #1.

I'm with "cabe" on the opening and closing decorations. I would add bright colored gravel like pink-neon blue etc...
I also don't like unorganized pipes and cords. Don't really mind when there organized though.
That being said Tanks are an art and everyone is entitled to be their own artist.

DiscusBR
02-17-2012, 04:50 PM
Low quality crappy fish that the poster thinks are great..... -john

I was focusing more on setup decisions, but I see your point

I agree, some BB setups are very nice, by the plain ones are just plain

I am also

i like my "holiday tree" =]

No problem. But JenTN, if you have high quality discus I am still up for a cup of tea :).

Lots of different strains in a show tank. All discus in different sizes in show tank. People showing off ugly discus with ugly shape and saying its beautiful. And how people thinks discus are super hard to keep

We are in the same tune here.

I don't care for artificial decorartions or low quality fish, I'm a discus snob! :) Rodrigo

Oh, artificial decorations. That is a good one, bem lembrado.

A friend of mine from out of state sent me this HUGE skull tank decoration..I had to put it in my tank, take a picture, post it to facebook, and take it back out LOL.

lol :)

There are certain things that I wouldn't do in MY fish tank, but I am ok seeing anyone's fish and hearing about their experiences. No need to tell someone you don't like what you don't have to look at. :o

Please allow me to disagree. Everyone has taste when it comes to any hobby. I am not interested in telling others what they should do, but I would like to know the things you wouldn’t do in YOUR fish tank.

That was my point when I started saying the beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Very true..and one's taste often changes with time, imo. I can't stand fish from different parts of the world mixed together (for example, guppies and barbs kept together) and that makes people think I am looney tunes so I tend not to share that in the "real world" lol.

I am like that too. I love Harlequin Rasboras, but since they come from Asia I don’t keep them with discus and stick to tankmates from the Amazon.

I have a 120 in my house that I call "The Short Bus Tank" its on the second floor landing in my house not near my fish room with the rest of my Discus. The Tank has older discus some stunted misshaped and all different colors. the tank has driftwood and a small layer of gravel. All the fish in the tank are healthy and happy but just don't have that pizzaz that people like in Discus due to age or misshaped. If anyone were to ask me what fish or tank in my house is my favorite I would point to the short bus tank upstairs. Those guys are so funny and humorous to me that when I feed them or clean their tank they give me such joy. Now with that said if I took pictures of the tank and showed everyone those old misshaped wrong pattern and color, Discus people would say what a horrible tank and those ugly fish their stunted and because of the way some of the old guys look (people would say they look sick and start giving me recommendation on medication.....LOL). Im just saying yea I can be a Discus snob and I have some beautiful Discus on all standards but sometimes its not what the Discus looks likes or the tank decorations or how many colors or patterns they have or how small their eyes are. I feel that if you have a Discus and its your Pet enjoy the fish, Who gives a $hit what people think...........Just my 2 cents.........Josie

I see your point, Josie. But I was focusing more on tank setup than in fish quality. A tank with driftwood and a small layer of gravel can be very pleasant to look at, independently if the discus are of high quality.

Have to go with Josie on this one. I love MY tanks b/c they are MINE. There are things that are cringe worthy to me, but if that person likes his/her stuff who the hell am I to say "you know, this is crap and that is crap"? Now if you ask me what kind of beer do you like to drink, NOW we in for a real debate! But, in all seriousness, is not that what makes the hobby fun, taking pleasure in one's own "artistry"?

I agree as well! Who cares about the decorations you choose, as long as it's not harming the fish! Shoot, you know what I don't like? Albino bristlenose plecos lol! I know a lot of people adore them, I have one (my son's, he loves him), I think he looks like a gross, withered up old man with red eyes!!

Why would a discussion about beer be any different? It is all about taste. The point of the thread is to know more about people’s taste in terms of a discus tank setup. And JenTN, you are contradicting yourself. You said you don’t care about tank decorations but you rejected and made fun of the skull that your friend sent to you.

Most people probably don't agree with my tank setup where I have plants growing all over the place (not placed in a neat order) with some dead leaves around. I think it's more natural than someone placing a large DW in the middle of a tank.

Well, that is a statement about taste. I can see your point.

Uff, this thread is growing. Keep up the conversation folks.

DiscusBR
02-17-2012, 04:52 PM
People that tell me what they don't like in my discus tank ;)

I am not inside a discus tank, so you comment does not apply :grin:

nc0gnet0
02-17-2012, 05:03 PM
I am not inside a discus tank, so you comment does not apply

If you come over and tell me what you don't like in my tank, you might find yourself there......

But seriously I am just joking around.. ;)

DiscusBR
02-17-2012, 05:07 PM
If you come over and tell me what you don't like in my tank, you might find yourself there......

But seriously I am just joking around.. ;)

Ops, I should be more careful with you... I was also kidding, no worries ;)

JenTN
02-17-2012, 05:11 PM
I meant who cares about what is in others' tanks...I reserve the right to be picky about my own ;)

Chicago Discus
02-17-2012, 06:20 PM
I hate floating discus the most.
Also, I would like to see a picture of the short bus tank.
No photos of the short Bus tank LOL.....................Josie

cooksa
02-17-2012, 06:50 PM
I meant who cares about what is in others' tanks...I reserve the right to be picky about my own ;)

I totally read "picky" as "tacky", and thought to myself..."gosh, sure wonder what her tank looks like! Mardi Gras beads and all, I'm sure!". I think I need to get some more sleep...

BoiseDiscusGuy
02-17-2012, 06:57 PM
An Alice in Wonderland themed discus tank with Barbie dolls as decor...

roclement
02-17-2012, 07:05 PM

LOL

Rodrigo

JenTN
02-17-2012, 07:09 PM
Lol..my tank when the gift skull was in it

Chicago Discus
02-17-2012, 07:19 PM
Thank god I have a boy no barbies or alice in wonderland for us......LOL

Bill63SG
02-17-2012, 09:49 PM
72407Skull was from my sons oscar tank,boiled of course.

Darrell Ward
02-17-2012, 09:59 PM
I see lots of pictures on this forum and others that make me want to vomit, but in an effort to keep the peace, I TRY to keep my mouth shut!:D

Skip
02-17-2012, 11:37 PM
algae

Parrish
02-17-2012, 11:47 PM
Plastic plants, or worse... old, faded and dirty plastic plants.

Gravel in any non-natural color; blue, pink, yellow.

Some of stupid theme tanks I've seen on that TV show.... bleah. Gansta' themed tank, beer themed tank.... really?! ? Waste of a good tank.

SeaDragon
02-17-2012, 11:47 PM
Unnatural decorations, at least for my tanks. I always have natural rocks and gravel, not super plastic looking plants, and of course natural algae. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

discuspaul
02-17-2012, 11:51 PM
What I dislike the most is looking at some extremely high quality discus in a strain I want in someone else's tank and not mine!!

Ditto!! :)

That's my pet peeve too !!!!

walt3
02-18-2012, 11:51 AM
i prefer a amazon only tank. maybe cheating on the plants a bit...:)

DiscusBR
02-18-2012, 01:47 PM

No barbie dools or discus in this tank, but here is a Alice in Wonderland setup:

http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee482/DiscusBR/Nov2011/alice.jpg

The tank's owner says: "I decided to decorate the tank to go with my favorite theme of all time- ALICE IN WONDERLAND! I framed my new poster from the movie and hung it above the tank. I also put a teapot, tea cups, and corked bottles in the tank."

I hope this will inspire some of our SD friends :grin:

JenTN
02-18-2012, 01:52 PM
No barbie dools or discus in this tank, but here is a Alice in Wonderland setup:

http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee482/DiscusBR/Nov2011/alice.jpg

The tank's owner says: "I decided to decorate the tank to go with my favorite theme of all time- ALICE IN WONDERLAND! I framed my new poster from the movie and hung it above the tank. I also put a teapot, tea cups, and corked bottles in the tank."

I hope this will inspire some of our SD friends :grin:

Off to plan my Gone with the Wind tank. Wonder if I can get one of my fish to slap another.....

applekrate
02-18-2012, 04:33 PM
Everybody should have a "pretty in pink" tank.....

Darrell Ward
02-18-2012, 05:14 PM
Unnatural decorations, at least for my tanks. I always have natural rocks and gravel, not super plastic looking plants, and of course natural algae. ;)

Colored gravel, aka, clown puke! Yuck!:vomit:

scottthomas
02-18-2012, 05:17 PM
Colored gravel, aka, clown puke! Yuck!:vomit:

I with you on that... I rather have no fish than colored gravel.

bigjohnson
02-19-2012, 08:19 AM
I like the sound of the "short bus" tank...here's another vote for a pic of that!

shoveltrash
02-19-2012, 08:51 AM
sometimes its not what the Discus looks likes or the tank decorations or how many colors or patterns they have or how small their eyes are. I feel that if you have a Discus and its your Pet enjoy the fish, Who gives a $hit what people think...........Just my 2 cents.........Josie
+1

but...............I have to say, I do despise "clown puke", and filth. no excuse whatsoever for a dirty/filthy tank!

MostlyDiscus
02-19-2012, 10:10 AM
Intresting subject. I would have to say seeing a discus in a tank that should have been put down months ago. Even worse is seeing a sick discus like that in with otherwise healthy discus. Have pity, put the damn thing down.....

Ed

P.S. I hope no one throws me in a tank...

CajunAg
02-19-2012, 11:33 AM
Things I deslike in some discus tanks

I dislike misspelled words in discus tank posts.

I kid! I kid! ;)

DiscusBR
02-19-2012, 04:44 PM
I dislike misspelled words in discus tank posts.

I kid! I kid! ;)

I dIIIIslike you!:grin:

gerrard00
02-20-2012, 12:43 PM
I try no to judge other people's tanks, because everyone has different taste.

In terms of my own tank, I've definitely gone in the too many plants "salad" direction and I'm starting to pull them out.

Chicago Discus
02-20-2012, 12:52 PM
I try no to judge other people's tanks, because everyone has different taste.

In terms of my own tank, I've definitely gone in the too many plants "salad" direction and I'm starting to pull them out.
What I dislike most in Discus Tanks. Is very arragant Discus owners that treat people like crap and think their tanks are perfect. I like discus tanks because they have Discus in them and thats why I'm here because I have a passion for these little creatures. As long as what your putting in the tank does not affect or harm the Discus I don't care what you put in your Tank you have to look at it not me............Josie

Darrell Ward
02-20-2012, 03:51 PM
Now come on Josie. Everyone has different tastes. There has to be stuff you see in tanks you don't like, you just won't admit it!:)

Skip
02-20-2012, 03:59 PM
josie..

discus owners are not IN the tank.. ;)

Chicago Discus
02-20-2012, 04:43 PM
josie..

discus owners are not IN the tank.. ;)
Skip your so funny

warblad79
02-20-2012, 04:52 PM
Life is way to short enjoy The ride................Josie

Don't get too offended by the comments because I'm pretty sure some of us here are guilty.

Chicago Discus
02-20-2012, 04:59 PM
Oh im not offended it's takes a lot more than that to offend me. I'm just stating my opinion on the matter..........Josie

2wheelsx2
02-20-2012, 05:18 PM
I think threads like these always get the hackles raised. Not because of the topic, but what the implication of the phrasing. I do respect the OP's post, but if the post had been phrased like, what would you like to see in other discus tanks:

1. Healthy, well formed fish.
2. Clean and well maintained tanks, be they barebottomed, planted or biotopes with sand and wood.
3. Fish which are primarily one strain or one or two strains.

I myself do not like barebottomed tanks bubbling away in my living room, but in fishroom, who cares? So some of what the tank looks like depends on the intended outcome. As for the type, colour of discus, it would be like saying, I think anything but wild types are ugly. That would immediately spark defensive comments.

Hate to be all PC about it, but I think we would have more constructive threads that way.

warblad79
02-20-2012, 05:23 PM
1. I DISLIKE tank with owner's picture frame right next to it because it's making the tank look more uglier.

2. I DISLIKE tank with floating thermometer because owner think their tank is awesomely hot.

3. I DISLIKE tank with cats swimming in it.

4. I DISLIKE tank with full of sick fish

5. I DISLIKE tank with powerheads

DiscusBR
02-20-2012, 05:33 PM
There are different threads in a forum. Sometimes I like to read humourous ones, nothing substantial or useful, just something that can make you relax and forget some of your problems when reading SD. Skip is great posting funny stuff and I think there is room for this type of stuff in a forum. By the number of visits in some of these threads, it is clear that I am not the only one interested. You don't have to open all the threads, much less read and comment on them. This was a thread about personal taste. I have a taste and I don't know why people would't admit they have one. I don't want to impose my taste on anyone, but I was curious to know what were other people's tastes. I enjoyed reading the posts but the thread has gone in a not very productive direction. So sorry to anyone if I hurt you feelings :huh:

EDIT: I thought it was clear that we were speaking about display tanks.

DiscusBR
02-20-2012, 05:34 PM
1. I DISLIKE tank with owner's picture frame right next to it because it's making the tank look more uglier.

2. I DISLIKE tank with floating thermometer because owner think their tank is awesomely hot.

3. I DISLIKE tank with cats swimming in it.

4. I DISLIKE tank with full of sick fish

5. I DISLIKE tank with powerheads

lol... I am guilty of number 5.

warblad79
02-20-2012, 05:39 PM
It's all good, people sometimes are getting all sensitive and can't take a joke. its all about fun. I love this thread its very hilarious because I could not believe people would take it seriously.

2wheelsx2
02-20-2012, 05:40 PM
Sorry I didn't mean that I got my feelings hurt. I've seen Al's post on how this forum is and other threads which degenerated into flame wars and got locked.

You're right, everyone has their own taste, and that's why I posted mine, how I like tanks which are not barebottomed and have healthy fish in them. And sure, people can choose not to open and read threads, but isn't the point of having a thread to have people read and comment? Otherwise, how would you ever expand the network?

I just thought I would post a counterpoint, as I've already seen some others post with points similar to mine.

Skip
02-20-2012, 06:12 PM
Skip is great posting funny stuff and I think there is room for this type of stuff in a forum. .

if you can't laugh at someone else... WHO can you laugh at..

http://thumpandwhip.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/wink-emoticon.jpg

Darrell Ward
02-20-2012, 06:40 PM
if you can't laugh at someone else... WHO can you laugh at..

http://thumpandwhip.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/wink-emoticon.jpg

Of course. It pretty obvious when something was intentionally mean spirited, and just goofing around! Geez!:D

stenchx
02-21-2012, 04:15 AM
I like lots of color in my tank, several potted plants, several other types of fish Cory's, rams etc. Bb is OK for growing out but not for show tanks I like gravel.I DISLIKE boring tanks that look like they came out of a science lab for experementing. But that's just me

typicalalex1
02-21-2012, 06:35 AM
None of this stuff really bothers me. As long as the discus are healthy and happy then im happy.
The only thing i dont like is when people put crappy decorations in the tank, like sunken ships.

x2h
02-21-2012, 02:05 PM
i don't like the look of BB tanks. reminds me of the tilapia fish tanks in asian market. those fish are ready to be sold and killed right away. don't get me wrong, i am asian myself.

now it's clear we all like and dislike different things. that teaches me to be more tolerant. :D

nc0gnet0
02-21-2012, 04:43 PM
I don't like pirahna in my discus tank.

JenTN
02-21-2012, 04:44 PM
I dislikw finding dead discus at the top :-(

Skip
02-21-2012, 04:51 PM
i dislike that gunk that grows on the air hoses :(

and those fine particles that get into pre filters

Chicago Discus
02-21-2012, 04:52 PM

I have agree with that one

JenTN
02-21-2012, 04:53 PM
Ew I dislike algae. I have fibromyalgia & it huuurts to scrub..seems no matter how hard I scrub I cant get it all. Ottos helped but had to.get rid of them.

SeaDragon
02-21-2012, 05:44 PM
I don't like pirahna in my discus tank.

I'll agree with you here! It's always a good day when there isn't a piranha having a snack

applekrate
02-22-2012, 12:31 AM

yes....

Christople
02-22-2012, 01:23 AM
I can only speak from looking seeing as I get my discus this summer (SUPER EXCITED) but I like just wood with natural colored sand, or planted but not 'salad' like

Callisto
02-23-2012, 05:10 PM
I am ordering 6 or 7 different varieties because I think it will be easier to monitor health and growth if it is easy to tell them apart. I do hope my tank doesn't look like a Christmas tree though.

Callisto
02-23-2012, 05:13 PM
I agree with YSS.

gerrard00
02-24-2012, 11:03 AM
I am ordering 6 or 7 different varieties because I think it will be easier to monitor health and growth if it is easy to tell them apart. I do hope my tank doesn't look like a Christmas tree though.

You'll be surprised how easy it is to tell apart even individuals from the same group of fry if you're spending a lot of time looking at your tank.

DiscusBR
02-24-2012, 12:09 PM
You'll be surprised how easy it is to tell apart even individuals from the same group of fry if you're spending a lot of time looking at your tank.

+1

Discus-n00b
02-24-2012, 03:18 PM
Poop, don't like poop in my tanks.

Jennie
02-24-2012, 03:22 PM
I've been guilty of a few. and not all my discus are perfect, but thats ok, not many people here have show quality fish..I've had mixed strains, and agree, not pretty, but it's my tank, and I don't give a rats a$$ what others think..as long as the fish are healthy

eaglesfan3000
02-25-2012, 10:57 AM
I'm guilty of #1!!! The more colors the better. Things I dislike are those darn blue lights, and an air stone just hanging there.

timmac69
02-25-2012, 02:10 PM
I have a few strains in my display tank, but all the same size. Having a planted tank, I do not much care for the BB tanks with nothing but a sponge filter, but if that is what someone feels that set-up puts their Discus in prime health, I guess I can applaud their commitment! My daughter and I watch our tank like we used to watch TV (anyone in the market for a 46" flat screen? LOL)

fullmonti
03-04-2012, 04:26 PM
I have had fish tanks my whole life, fresh & salt. Discus people seem to have more opinions than any other group I have come across. Nothing wrong with that, I have plenty my self. Some do seem to be awfully arbitrary though. The tendency to call a other wise perfectly healthy happy fish crap because some part of its shape isn't exactly what you think it should be is the one I don't get.

I'm looking forward to being guilty of #1.

Jim

rbarn
03-05-2012, 09:56 PM
8. Too much lightning

Definitely a shocking experience.

Callisto
03-07-2012, 06:01 PM
I don't even have the Discus in the tank yet; just the tankmates and my husband thinks I spend too much time watching 'FISH TV" LOL

bmalick
03-11-2012, 05:36 PM
Hexagon tanks...

son303
04-26-2012, 01:14 AM

I'd have to agree on this one. Unless it was meant for growing out or breeding.

a volar
04-26-2012, 04:31 PM
I think threads like these always get the hackles raised. Not because of the topic, but what the implication of the phrasing. I do respect the OP's post, but if the post had been phrased like, what would you like to see in other discus tanks:

1. Healthy, well formed fish.
2. Clean and well maintained tanks, be they barebottomed, planted or biotopes with sand and wood.
3. Fish which are primarily one strain or one or two strains.

I myself do not like barebottomed tanks bubbling away in my living room, but in fishroom, who cares? So some of what the tank looks like depends on the intended outcome. As for the type, colour of discus, it would be like saying, I think anything but wild types are ugly. That would immediately spark defensive comments.

Hate to be all PC about it, but I think we would have more constructive threads that way.

Absolutely right!!

xtamicax
05-15-2012, 01:42 PM
^5 SNoopodus

Josef
05-15-2012, 08:54 PM
I don't like a Snobs tank...

Nope you can't convince me to like it!:bandana:

If you notice...even their Discus look snobby! LOL

OCD
05-19-2012, 10:04 PM
i have a #1- and i love a multi strain tank- but i try to balance it out. i love to look at each one--the stripes on my AB turk, the spots on the penang etc.. each one is beautiful.
I love to watch the soap opera going on in the tank too... LOL

My friends son loves fish and loves to come over and talk with me. I went to his house and he was so excited to show me his new set up.
Personally, it was sort of tacky for my taste- blue and black mixed gravel, submerged ship, spongebob pineapple house. LOL. but you know what, it was adorable too because HE LOVED IT. he was so proud! and the fish were healthy and happy and i know that he is learning everything he can about taking care of fish. would i put a ship in mine? no.. but his tank was great because he loved it.... :)

Now... I also want to see josie's short bus tank.. :) she says she loves it the most, and i already like it because of how much she loves it :)