PDA

View Full Version : Shelf life on testing supplies

Rubberducky
02-17-2012, 03:59 PM
Does anybody know if there is a shelf life on testing supplies. A friend gave me an API test kit that he said was atleast three years old. Do these chemicals go bad over time? Also does anybody know if the test strips that API makes are accurate?

Orange Crush
02-18-2012, 07:02 AM
All test kits have a shelf life but how they have been stored (temp etc.) makes a difference in how long they are good for. I have not tried the API test strips but I have never used a brand of test strips that I thought was accurate, I do not think one exists. lol

Rubberducky
02-18-2012, 02:28 PM
All test kits have a shelf life but how they have been stored (temp etc.) makes a difference in how long they are good for. I have not tried the API test strips but I have never used a brand of test strips that I thought was accurate, I do not think one exists. lol

Thank you!

kilroy2112
02-18-2012, 05:18 PM
I have called one of the manufacturers of test kits in the past (might have been API, don't remember but I'm sure they are all similar) and was told that even though they do not put an expiration date on them, they are only good for about 1 year. Not long at all.

TOFU
02-20-2012, 07:37 AM
API shows their manufactured dates. They can last around 1-2 years i guess