PDA

View Full Version : Moving to a new tank questions

kendrid
02-18-2012, 03:49 PM
In the "need help" section I started a thread about a stunted discus of mine that died last night. This weekend I am setting up a 90g display tank and I was going to move the discus to it.

Since one died I am worried that they might "have something". They are all swimming, eating and appear healthy, I am just concerned since one dropped dead without any warning. I saw it eat beef heart yesterday.

What is the best way to move them to the new tank? Should I do a salt dip, meds, or just move them and if any show signs of sickness move them to my hospital tank. I was planning on moving the filters and some substrate over to the 90g for the biological filter but I'm wondering if I should bleach them and start a new cycle in the new tank (no discus of course). If its a parasite I wouldn't think at would help. Also, opinions on using UV? Is it proven to help with issues?

Thanks

Skip
02-18-2012, 11:46 PM
why are you moving discus?!

were you already moving them?!~

is this tank going to be a BareBottom?

kendrid
02-19-2012, 11:02 AM
why are you moving discus?!

were you already moving them?!~

is this tank going to be a BareBottom?

The first move was literally moving the tank with the fish in it. I drained 90% of the water to do a water change, put furniture mover pads under the stand and slowly slid it 8' out of the way. Where it was located I setup a 90g. The plan is to move them to the 90g. The 90 has 1" of pool filter sand, just like the current tank. In both tanks I have one side with sand and the other almost BB. I have the flow so all of the "junk" flows to the side with barely any sand.

Here is a pic of the "old" tank being refilled in its temporary location. I may keep this tank for the fry that are in it, or if they don't make it use it or QT for new discus (either way it will be BB). I have 4 which isn't enough for a 90g. I am thinking about picking up 3 more quality adults. I have that PVC pipe so doing water changes involves plugging in a cord to fill. I still have a drain hose though so I'd like to come up with a PVC solution for that.

i.imgur.com/EsH0n.jpg