PDA

View Full Version : Live Discus Cam?

SeaDragon
02-18-2012, 05:29 PM
Hey everybody,

So for C-mas I got a video camera do to a live internet video feed of my Discus tanks. It's been great, can check up on my discus and show people them anywhere. Im curious, does anyone else do this kind of thing with their fish?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

joanstone
02-18-2012, 05:40 PM
I don't have anything like that set up, but often wished I had for when I'm away and my fish are in the care of a house sitter. How hard was it to set up?

SeaDragon
02-18-2012, 06:50 PM
It was pretty challenging just bc of the type of camera I got. But once it's done your good to go. It uses your home IP address as its site. Then you can have multiple IDs so only certain users can move the camera or mess with settings.
I can unplug it or have a power outage and it remembers all the settings. There are presets, so you can tap one button and it remembers which tank you want to see. It has a infra-red setting so I can see them in the middle of the night without bothering them too.

andyl9063
02-18-2012, 08:13 PM
me being a network guy, its easy to setup.

i have setup several , but not for fish viewing. my next one will be for fish.

Setup the camera on one ip address. The camera should allow you to setup password/username and a port design for it.
Log into router. Setup port forward. Add that ip address of camera and that port you designated.

Go to whatismyipaddress.com to find out the real public one from your provider. So it'll be public ip address:port number is the way to access it from outside.

SeaDragon
02-19-2012, 12:29 AM
me being a network guy, its easy to setup.

i have setup several , but not for fish viewing. my next one will be for fish.

Setup the camera on one ip address. The camera should allow you to setup password/username and a port design for it.
Log into router. Setup port forward. Add that ip address of camera and that port you designated.

Go to whatismyipaddress.com to find out the real public one from your provider. So it'll be public ip address:port number is the way to access it from outside.

Well I have a tech crew to help with the set up. In other words my dad works in IT ;) I tried to set it up but it needed to have two IP addresses, one for in the house and one for away. So that made it a little more complicated. But was completed and it's been great to have. I'd certainly recommend getting one for anyone else that doesn't mind being a techy fish nerd

DiscusBR
02-19-2012, 12:30 AM
Hey everybody,

So for C-mas I got a video camera do to a live internet video feed of my Discus tanks. It's been great, can check up on my discus and show people them anywhere. Im curious, does anyone else do this kind of thing with their fish?

Can you share the link to your tank's video feed?

SeaDragon
02-19-2012, 12:39 AM
Anyone seriously interested in seeing my camera feed please PM or comment for it here. I'll PM you the info to see them. Thanks!

rostick555
02-19-2012, 04:34 AM
I would like to see it if that's alright sounds cool.

SaTiVa1984
02-19-2012, 10:28 AM
Also interested in viewing, sounds cool.