PDA

View Full Version : Undigested bloodworm

roydooms
02-19-2012, 01:32 AM
I have a HB red turquoise that pooped a couple of undigested BW. It only lost it's colors but still looked like BW. Is it that if overfeeding and that it just passed thru? Thanks in advance.

WMD
02-19-2012, 03:32 AM
are you sure it's BW????? could be tapeworms???? trying not to scare you

roydooms
02-19-2012, 03:35 AM
I don't think it's tapeworm. I saw the "sticky" here with pics on how TW looks like and it's not like it. It really looks exactly like bloodworm without the color.

roydooms
02-19-2012, 03:43 AM
I was the feeding the discus at least 6 times for already a few days at the time I saw the BW poop. I also read before that happened that overfeeding is unnecessary because the discus won't absorb it and the food will just "pass thru". I just want to confirm that that is what happened.

WMD
02-19-2012, 05:13 AM
are they fed solely on BW ( i assume its blood worms)? they are not nutritious. if it is black worms then everything is fine :D

roydooms
02-19-2012, 10:35 AM
No, I feed them beef heart and tetra bit granules as well. That day though I fed them mostly blood worms. As for the live Black worms, don't they have parasites? I have freeze dried that I got from Kenny but I haven't tried it yet.

brewmaster15
02-19-2012, 10:46 AM
It not uncommon for a fish to pass some of the exoskeletons of bloodworms, particularly it the the Bloodworms are very large or were about to moult into midges when collected and frozen... Its not harmful to the fish when this happens provided they don't get blocked up by the undigested chitin skeletons.

I have freeze dried that I got from Kenny but I haven't tried it yet.
try that! ;)

good luck ,
al

Discus Origins
02-19-2012, 10:55 AM
Def agree with Al, sounds like some of the casings of bloodworms are passing thru. Commonly happens just not often visually seen as its exiting :)

roydooms
02-19-2012, 10:55 AM
Hi Al,

Thank you. Now I can relax and not worry. Lol. About the freeze dried black worms, do I need to soak it first with garlic concentrate? Thanks again.

-Roy

roydooms
02-19-2012, 11:04 AM
Hi mark,

I watch my discus for hours a day. Maybe that's why I saw that happening. Lol I'll grab a chair and sit in front of the tank for I don't know how long. Sometimes until I get really sleepy and had to lay down. :D

brewmaster15
02-19-2012, 11:15 AM
Hi Al,

Thank you. Now I can relax and not worry. Lol. About the freeze dried black worms, do I need to soak it first with garlic concentrate? Thanks again.

-Roy

No... just feed them... some like to soak them in vitamens...I don't. I just sent you a PM...

thanks,
al