PDA

View Full Version : single discus ?

brianyu
02-19-2012, 03:17 AM
i have a 65g plant community tanks , guppy and tetra . can i have 1 single discus ? will is work ?
i do 80% wc weekly. here some picture of the tank.

WMD
02-19-2012, 03:27 AM
no no no. they are schooling fish. if you wanna be cruel to other animals that's fine but not to discus please lol

damba
02-19-2012, 03:56 AM
65g you could get six to eight in there. Buy a shoal and up the waterchanges.the tank will thenlokgreat.
Tom

Sent from my GT-I5800 using Tapatalk

Skip
02-19-2012, 10:48 PM
not ideal..

as was said.. they like to be in groups.. MUCH happier and friendlier.. when they are in groups.. its night and day.. when their school increases..

neon
02-20-2012, 12:06 AM
Bad idea to add just one discus

brianyu
02-20-2012, 01:25 AM
people use to have single angel with group of tetra , so why not discus !
lets try out : plant tanks + single juvenile discus + single 80% water changer par week( just water change ) + 2 times feed par day.

Skip
02-20-2012, 01:29 AM
people use to have single angel with group of tetra , so why not discus !
lets try out : plant tanks + single juvenile discus + single 80% water changer par week( just water change ) + 2 times feed par day.

as you wish :)

JustinKScott
02-20-2012, 02:09 AM
Already tried it out.

My discus died of depression and starvation. Adults are more forgiving than juvies; yet they are so much more expensive no one treats them like that! ;)

TOFU
02-20-2012, 07:35 AM
If youre not going to listen to advices given here, why bother asking?

RudeDogg1
02-20-2012, 09:15 AM
Yup why bother asking if your going to do it anyway?! Ive had single adults in my qt b4 that refused food then popped them in the main tank with the others and fed straight away, you do the math ;0)

WMD
02-20-2012, 09:32 AM
go make your lfs rich lol

brianyu
02-20-2012, 11:31 AM
go make your lfs rich lol

i know some breeder around here , they are not that expensive anyways . i was surprise that no one have been try out that ! it s so nice to have 1 discus in a display tanks .
i will post update of the situation here weekly :D

Skip
02-20-2012, 11:37 AM
i know some breeder around here , they are not that expensive anyways . i was surprise that no one have been try out that ! it s so nice to have 1 discus in a display tanks .

http://cache.ohinternet.com/images/thumb/e/e8/Pope_facepalm.jpg/117px-Pope_facepalm.jpg

Skip
02-20-2012, 11:39 AM
:D

Cambik
02-20-2012, 12:02 PM
Go ahead and start filling this out. That way you can get a head start....

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?38545-Disease-Questionnaire-please-complete

roclement
02-20-2012, 12:11 PM
C'mon guys this is someone's troll account, don't get sucked into it.

Rodrigo

AngryBird
02-20-2012, 12:12 PM
I think the fish will live(in jail).

JenTN
02-20-2012, 12:24 PM
In honor of president's day:

John_Nicholson
02-20-2012, 12:24 PM
Since you disregard all solid advise anyway....I strongly suggest you do this. The fish will thrive, grow large, and like its owner it will even span by itself.

Good luck.

-john

Cevoe
02-20-2012, 02:31 PM
Since you disregard all solid advise anyway....I strongly suggest you do this. The fish will thrive, grow large, and like its owner it will even span by itself.

Man, you just summed up my teenage years in one sentence.

Christople
02-20-2012, 03:37 PM
LOL

brianyu
02-20-2012, 07:32 PM
day 1 :D , he look fine for nowin his new home( or jail lol whatever ) , eat and swim around , i take out a lot of plant to made place for the discus , he may grow big lol ... who know . clean 2 of the 3 canister and 90 % wc .water temps 82( i know it too cold for discus ) more update next week guys . and plz dont hate me coz im not doing bb tanks and over feed ..wc daily ..

YSS
02-20-2012, 08:21 PM

Good luck.

-john

Don't know about spanning on its own, John. :-)

Although not ideal, discus will live and do fine alone if provided a good care. I have done it and kept one discus successfully for a long time.

Skip
02-20-2012, 08:52 PM
its done..

good luck..

mmorris
02-20-2012, 08:57 PM
What happened to the four 2 inch turqs you bought two years ago?

brianyu
02-20-2012, 09:17 PM
What happened to the four 2 inch turqs you bought two years ago?
i have some problem at work, no time to do water changer, i gave away to a friend and it grow big :D , i wish is will work this time .

scottthomas
02-21-2012, 12:04 PM
Well, thats some awsome anubius in that tank!

brianyu
02-27-2012, 10:03 PM
week 2 , he doing fine, eating normal . wc is now 2 time a week , feeding 3 time par day . i add some floating plant , that may help the water quality . more pic coming in next moth , i think is growing !

x2h
02-29-2012, 09:50 PM
interesting experiment, what size is that discus?

brianyu
03-01-2012, 12:51 AM
he is about 3.5'' , my goal will be 6'' fish with minimum effort lol , it that asking too much :D

interesting experiment, what size is that discus?

Skip
03-01-2012, 12:57 AM
he is about 3.5'' , my goal will be 6'' fish with minimum effort lol , it that asking too much :D

not at all!!! best way to do it.. it will be 8" in no time!

brianyu
03-01-2012, 01:01 AM
Only time will tell hehehe ... dont worry guys i will post picture , so you guys will be jealous ! :D

brianyu
03-05-2012, 02:20 AM
Week 3 , nothing new lol the discus seem to grow little (his body look more high ) but not much longer , i decide to do only 1 wc par week because,after my test, it useless to do more water change. i will add more shrimp and guppy :D

BoiseDiscusGuy
03-05-2012, 02:22 AM
HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!

Orange Crush
03-05-2012, 02:30 AM
i decide to do only 1 wc par week because,after my test, it useless to do more water change.
What test and results are you refering to?

Keep us updated with pictures of him on a regular basis so you can prove that doing it your way works. You will show all of the experts that there are more than one way for a discus to grow well and be healthy.

brianyu
03-05-2012, 08:07 PM
i mean my water test kit. i will post some picture taking when i doing my weekly water change :D .

What test and results are you refering to?

Keep us updated with pictures of him on a regular basis so you can prove that doing it your way works. You will show all of the experts that there are more than one way for a discus to grow well and be healthy.

brianyu
03-05-2012, 08:12 PM
Here some update picture , still far from 6''+ fish lol ...

Orange Crush
03-05-2012, 08:34 PM
i mean my water test kit.
Yes but I wanted to know what tests you did, what were the results and why you think water changes are useless as a result.

brianyu
03-05-2012, 08:51 PM
level of nitrate and ammonia is very low ( ~0.02 mg/l ) , the plant made some difference in my water quality , floating plant is growing strong after 1 week add in the tank .

Yes but I wanted to know what tests you did, what were the results and why you think water changes are useless as a result.

TNT77
03-05-2012, 09:21 PM
level of nitrate and ammonia is very low ( ~0.02 mg/l ) , the plant made some difference in my water quality , floating plant is growing strong after 1 week add in the tank .
You shouldnt have any ammonia.

brianyu
03-05-2012, 10:13 PM
You shouldnt have any ammonia.
it that asking too much lol ... i believe even in the amazon water have some ammonia ! :d

Skip
03-06-2012, 05:33 PM
it that asking too much lol ... i believe even in the amazon water have some ammonia ! :d

you are correct

Orange Crush
03-06-2012, 05:42 PM
Little known fact: The correct name for The Amazon River is The Ammoniazon River but people found that too difficult to understand so it was changed. lol:p

tonytheboss1
03-06-2012, 06:12 PM
level of nitrate and ammonia is very low ( ~0.02 mg/l ) , the plant made some difference in my water quality , floating plant is growing strong after 1 week add in the tank

:bandana: OKkkkkk! So like I'm kinda new here,but this isn't for real for real right?? "T"

Skip
03-06-2012, 06:32 PM
:bandana: OKkkkkk! So like I'm kinda new here,but this isn't for real for real right?? "T"

no its not.. ammonia is measured in PPM (parts per million)

milligrams/liter is something else

brianyu
03-06-2012, 11:37 PM
what is that mean? my tank is real? lol

brianyu
03-06-2012, 11:41 PM

milligrams/liter is something else
depend on ur test kit, people call ppm sometime 1-5 is ok level ...blabla..bla

Skip
03-07-2012, 12:43 AM
depend on ur test kit, people call ppp sometime 1-5 is ok level ...blabla..bla

i hate chemistry !

Mep1127
03-07-2012, 12:47 AM
Good luck with your fish, by the way what plants do you have in your tank? looks like some Id want to add to my tank later on.

brianyu
03-07-2012, 01:05 AM
Good luck with your fish, by the way what plants do you have in your tank? looks like some Id want to add to my tank later on.
thanks guys,
i have some big anubias and Giant Vallisneria, floating plant is frogbit .

pcsb23
03-09-2012, 07:26 AM
Little known fact: The correct name for The Amazon River is The Ammoniazon River but people found that too difficult to understand so it was changed. lol:plearn something new each day :bandana:

milligrams/liter is something elsemg/litre and ppm are (for our purposes) one and the same ;)

peglegderek
03-09-2012, 07:13 PM

ive been keeping discus since 2004 and ive noticed that when buying them you get what you pay for in most cases!! id rather send away to a reputable dealer and spend a few more dollars for fish i KNOW are quality just my opinion though! oh ya and i agree with everyone else you need more than one. and three isnt a good number either!

brianyu
03-10-2012, 12:36 AM
ive been keeping discus since 2004 and ive noticed that when buying them you get what you pay for in most cases!! id rather send away to a reputable dealer and spend a few more dollars for fish i KNOW are quality just my opinion though! oh ya and i agree with everyone else you need more than one. and three isnt a good number either!

thanks, that will be too easy to have 6-7 discus in bb tanks, and wc everyday.

magewynd
03-10-2012, 01:50 AM
Originally Posted by peglegderek

thanks, that will be too easy to have 6-7 discus in bb tanks, and wc everyday.

Almost as easy as taking someone's good, sound advice when you ask questions like "can I keep 1 single discus?' or "will this work, I do an 80% w/c once a week?"

brianyu
03-10-2012, 02:42 AM
Originally Posted by peglegderek

Almost as easy as taking someone's good, sound advice when you ask questions like "can I keep 1 single discus?' or "will this work, I do an 80% w/c once a week?"

i will edit that post to ... i will keep 1 discus ... this will work ... i will maybe wc once a week ! lol

Mep1127
03-10-2012, 04:29 AM
i will edit that post to ... i will keep 1 discus ... this will work ... i will maybe wc once a week ! lol

You're really determined to prove everyone wrong lol. Well if you have a success story this is gonna be some thread..

DLock3d
03-10-2012, 05:02 AM
You're really determined to prove everyone wrong lol. Well if you have a success story this is gonna be some thread..

Success is more of a loss then failure is in this situation. I have no doubt that the fish could potentially become large. Regardless, there will be health issues eventually. Threads like this just make new people disregard solid advice from people with decades of experience. Many people will read through this thread in the future if he is successful and want to try the same thing. Then the Disease forum will flood again with the same questions over and over instead of searching previous threads for material already documented or advice given to start with.

Clearly this is Al's forum and should be run the way he see's best fit. If this was my forum, I'd make a rule that any user who blatantly disregards Discus 101 advice is not aloud to ask for help with the same group of fish when the fish subsequently get sick. I'm sure it be hard to track and could be worded better but you get the idea.

Put six discus in six separate planted tanks with weekly water changes vs six discus in one bb tank with daily water changes if you really want to test something.

magewynd
03-10-2012, 05:11 AM
I hear you Dan. The flip side of this for ME, is Why would one even bother to ask for advice if they have already made up their mine not to listen to it let alone heed it.

Orange Crush
03-10-2012, 05:22 AM
Success is more of a loss then failure is in this situation. I have no doubt that the fish could potentially become large. Regardless, there will be health issues eventually. Threads like this just make new people disregard solid advice from people with decades of experience. Many people will read through this thread in the future if he is successful and want to try the same thing. Then the Disease forum will flood again with the same questions over and over instead of searching previous threads for material already documented or advice given to start with.

Clearly this is Al's forum and should be run the way he see's best fit. If this was my forum, I'd make a rule that any user who blatantly disregards Discus 101 advice is not aloud to ask for help with the same group of fish when the fish subsequently get sick. I'm sure it be hard to track and could be worded better but you get the idea.

Put six discus in six separate planted tanks with weekly water changes vs six discus in one bb tank with daily water changes if you really want to test something.
I know what you are trying to say and while I agree that the op is doing a lot of things wrong it is his choice to disregaurd everyones advice.
It is sad that some new people might read posts like this and do things the wrong way but think of how many more do things the wrong way because 1) they follow LFS advice 2)are not part of this forum 3) like the op know what the correct advice is but don't follow it anyways. I doubt more than a handful of people read one thread and follow it's advice without doing more reading 1st and I have yet to come across any threads that did not have bad ideas rebuked by those who know better. Even an idiot can read through this post and see that the op is the only one saying that 1 discus is okay and if that person goes with the op's ideas then there is no hope for them anyways.
In the end people are entitled to do things the way they want and it is best not to become attatched to wanting them to do things the right way because all you can do is be responsible for how you do things and not allow others to get you upset with how they do it, it wont change anything.
And while I understand your sentament about not allowing a person to post in the disease section after they disregaurd our advice I have to say that is a really bad idea because the ones being punished from that are the fish more than the op. Also, everyone does things in life that they know are not the best ideas but that is one of the best way to learn things. Nothing beats hands on experience. Imagine if everyone did exactly what others told them to do without question? This world would suck, we would still be living in the dark ages and doing it without the joy of having discus as pets

benico
03-10-2012, 12:16 PM
I like discus in pair even if they are not breeding...

brianyu
03-10-2012, 01:35 PM
I like discus in pair even if they are not breeding...

me too , so sad to be alone ... maybe i will made a thread after that , pair discus and planted tanks lol

Second Hand Pat
03-10-2012, 02:10 PM
I do believe we are declaring success a little too soon :)

strawberryblonde
03-10-2012, 04:50 PM

No need to be surprised anymore. I tried it out two decades ago when I didn't know thing 1 about Discus. I purchased the only discus in a tank full of angelfish from my LFS. The only thing he could tell me about the discus was that it was called a blue face heckel and that someone had sold it to him with a bunch of other fish. It wasn't a fish he purchased from a discus breeder.

It was VERY small at the time, even though it looked HUGE to me since I was used to little tetra's and hatchet fish.

Not knowing any better I kept him in my planted community tank along with a couple of angels and a plethora of tetra's, a dwarf gourami, etc. The temp of the tank was 78 and I did big water changes because I hated dirty water. He was raised on TetraMin flake foods. He ate tons and seemed to be hungry ALL the time, hence my reasons for constantly doing big water changes.

He grew very slowly. And when I say very slowly, I mean VERY slowly! It took about 2 years for him to grow from 3" to 6". He liked to hide behind lots of plants and rocks and hung near the middle of the water column with the angel fish. Every once in awhile the angels would get mean to him and he'd end up hiding on the opposite side of the tank for a week.

He lived for at least 6 years (I had to move out of state and sold him to my LFS)

Soooo, would I say that I was a success and brag about raising him in those conditions? Heck NO!!! Now that I can compare him and his life in that tank to the 9 discus I have raised this past year in a 115g tank with water temps of 84, daily WC's and healthy meaty foods I would NOT say that I did a good job with my heckel at all. He survived, he did not thrive. He had no group of discus in which to feel safe or to feel that he was part of a whole. He was alone and I'm pretty darned sure he knew it.

So just being able to raise a single discus in a community tank isn't any great accomplishment. You aren't the first and you won't be the last to do it. I did it because I didn't know any better. You are doing it while knowing better. That's not something to brag about.

brianyu
03-10-2012, 06:35 PM
thanks Toni for the information , but 2 years is too long to grow out a discus , that is for sure not great :D . After what i understand , yours fish was scare because of the angel and that affect his growing . after all i don't have any big fish to scare him (my discus) and he seem to not really scare anyways, so if you try to tell me, discus will be scare to be alone, stop eating and affect his growing , that not really true after 4 weeks ... but i believe any fish would like to be in group not only discus . but if that affect that much to his health that have to see later , and that why we are all here for :D

strawberryblonde
03-10-2012, 06:54 PM
I think you misunderstood what I said. My discus wasn't afraid of the angels. Mostly he hung out with them and swam with them. Once in awhile they got mean and he'd go hide on his own, but that didn't affect his eating.

He never stopped eating at any point during those 2 years that he was growing! I'm saying that you can expect slower growth because you are only feeding him twice a day. Mine had a lot more feedings than twice a day and he still grew very slowly because I didn't feed him the proper types of foods. Are you going to feed yours the right foods and feed him several times a day?

Please understand exactly what I am saying to you.

1) You are not the first person to raise a single discus.
2) Raising a single discus with only 2 feedings a day and one water change a week doesn't make you a Discus Hero, it's just sad...that's all it is...sad that you want attention for yourself and will do this to your discus in order to get that attention on this thread.
3) Even if you raise a 7" discus in that tank, you still won't have proved anything other than the fact that you got lucky while doing what others have done before you.
4) See point #1 and understand it.

catgoldfish
03-10-2012, 07:37 PM
Your tank looks great!! Love all the plants. You should try to get another Discus just to keep him or her company. The fish looks good now but could change in a hurry. Good luck! Keep the pics rolling.

brianyu
03-10-2012, 07:55 PM
so i feed them the good food and more , he will grow :d . i know i'm not the first who raise single discus , and not all of them are fail like your case , and doing wc everyday will not made you no1 discus lover :D, if my ammonia level got higher then normal i will do more wc but that not the case for now, if i do get to 6''++ discus is not because of luck .

DLock3d
03-11-2012, 04:14 AM
I think you misunderstood what I said. My discus wasn't afraid of the angels. Mostly he hung out with them and swam with them. Once in awhile they got mean and he'd go hide on his own, but that didn't affect his eating.

He never stopped eating at any point during those 2 years that he was growing! I'm saying that you can expect slower growth because you are only feeding him twice a day. Mine had a lot more feedings than twice a day and he still grew very slowly because I didn't feed him the proper types of foods. Are you going to feed yours the right foods and feed him several times a day?

Please understand exactly what I am saying to you.

1) You are not the first person to raise a single discus.
2) Raising a single discus with only 2 feedings a day and one water change a week doesn't make you a Discus Hero, it's just sad...that's all it is...sad that you want attention for yourself and will do this to your discus in order to get that attention on this thread.
3) Even if you raise a 7" discus in that tank, you still won't have proved anything other than the fact that you got lucky while doing what others have done before you.
4) See point #1 and understand it.

Toni,

You have so much more patience than me.

Thanks.

tonytheboss1
03-11-2012, 12:36 PM
:bandana: I'm kinda new here so my 'nickel in this quarter' probably won't mean as much as some of the experts but I'm gonna spend it anyway. Just because you CAN do something doesn't necessarily mean you SHOULD! The end doesn't always justify the means & the result could be viewed as negative to some who have the best interest of the DISCUS in mind rather than proving a personal point. JMPO "T"

yim11
03-11-2012, 12:42 PM
:bandana: I'm kinda new here so my 'nickel in this quarter' probably won't mean as much as some of the experts but I'm gonna spend it anyway. Just because you CAN do something doesn't necessarily mean you SHOULD! The end doesn't always justify the means & the result could be viewed as negative to some who have the best interest of the DISCUS in mind rather than proving a personal point. JMPO "T"

Well said user with the amusing avatar!

Thanks

tonytheboss1
03-11-2012, 01:21 PM
Well said user with the amusing avatar!

Thanks

:bandana: lol, lol Something I stumbled upon a few yrs back & kinda fell for but thanx for the flowers. "T"

janky
03-11-2012, 07:37 PM
All bickering aside, if you said they're not expensive and you obviously have the room for more, why not get more? You said yourself that all fish would probably like to be in a group, so why not get him a buddy or two? What could it possibly hurt?

YSS
03-11-2012, 07:40 PM
if i do get to 6''++ discus is not because of luck .

I don't think you will. So no worries.

Orange Crush
03-11-2012, 08:29 PM
All bickering aside, if you said they're not expensive and you obviously have the room for more, why not get more? You said yourself that all fish would probably like to be in a group, so why not get him a buddy or two? What could it possibly hurt?
He would need more than a buddy or two. Discus should be kept in groups of 6 or more (unless you have a bonded pair) to help with aggression issues.

Skip
03-11-2012, 08:40 PM
http://gifsoup.com/webroot/animatedgifs/249429_o.gif

strawberryblonde
03-11-2012, 09:37 PM
LOL Warlock...that's awesome!

Jeapa
03-11-2012, 09:53 PM
LOL Warlock...that's awesome!

+1 LOL.

Skip
03-11-2012, 10:00 PM
http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lz9kv1RHHT1r3zat8.gif

Skip
03-11-2012, 10:03 PM
http://0.asset.soup.io/asset/1522/9072_a3a8.gif

Skip
03-11-2012, 10:04 PM
http://i509.photobucket.com/albums/s332/oceancurrents/__009worffacepalm.gif

TNT77
03-11-2012, 10:07 PM
LOL

Skip
03-11-2012, 10:07 PM
http://i1119.photobucket.com/albums/k635/kritterbox/facepalm_panda.gif

Skip
03-11-2012, 10:08 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v605/LadyVoldything/sayitwithagif/facepalm.gif

strawberryblonde
03-11-2012, 10:09 PM
ROFLMBO!

Skip
03-11-2012, 10:09 PM
http://i1229.photobucket.com/albums/ee480/PersonalPixie/Gifs/Boy%20Gifs/tumblr_li3wvnDa8G1qb84lwo1_400.gif

strawberryblonde
03-11-2012, 10:10 PM
All we need now is one of Charlie Sheen doing his winning routine.....

Skip
03-11-2012, 10:17 PM

http://media.egotvonline.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/whatever.gif

Skip
03-11-2012, 10:20 PM

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-3MojJkhG4FY/Tb1Ol6y8hZI/AAAAAAAAJXE/XLCa5_JKs-c/s1600/Charlie-Sheen-Winning-GIF.gif

brianyu
03-11-2012, 10:22 PM
so Manny nice people here lol
and that spam really useless

Skip
03-11-2012, 10:31 PM
so Manny nice people here lol
and that spam really useless

http://shechive.files.wordpress.com/2010/02/wink-happy-16.jpg?w=500&h=300

brianyu
03-11-2012, 11:10 PM
too much discus need more feed and that will affect the level of ammonia , then i have to do like people say , wc change everyday and clean . that seem to be hard to do in a plant tank .

brianyu
03-11-2012, 11:11 PM
report.

http://shechive.files.wordpress.com/2010/02/wink-happy-16.jpg?w=500&h=300

brianyu
03-11-2012, 11:37 PM
i thinks we are in Week 4 now :
fish :
the discus start to refuse dry food(tetra color flake and hikari wafers) and eat more frozen blood worm and tubifex worm.
the shrimp and guppy doing too good ... so many fry
water :
the water condition still good for now(28-29C) , i shutdown the flow rate of all my filter to very low , the fish have more time to relax now , i thinking about add 1 more filter , maybe fuval 405 also in low flow setting .
plant :
some algae are showing up :D
here some picture for this week

Orange Crush
03-11-2012, 11:38 PM
too much discus need more feed and that will affect the level of ammonia , then i have to do like people say , wc change everyday and clean . that seem to be hard to do in a plant tank .
Sweetie, if your tank is cycled then you don't get ammonia in your water unless you are overfeeding and not removing the leftover food. Fish keeping 101.

brianyu
03-11-2012, 11:44 PM
that what i mean ... honey ! leftover in plant tanks is always a problem , shrimp can help it little but not too much . and yes my tanks is cycled 3 years ago lol

Sweetie, if your tank is cycled then you don't get ammonia in your water unless you are overfeeding and not removing the leftover food. Fish keeping 101.

peglegderek
03-11-2012, 11:51 PM
[QUOTE=brianyu;871477]i thinks we are in Week 4 now :
fish :
the discus start to refuse dry food(tetra color flake and hikari wafers) and eat more frozen blood worm and tubifex worm. [/QUOT

i thought you shouldnt feed discus Tubifex worms.

Skip
03-11-2012, 11:55 PM
i like that tank for shrimp :)

the problem with feeding in a planted tanks.. the discus can't find the food at the bottom.. it took awhile but my fish finally accepted tetrabits

Orange Crush
03-11-2012, 11:58 PM
Bloodworms are junk food with very little nutrition, that is why it is so easy to get fish to eat them and then they will not eat what they should. Tubifex are cultured/found in very unsanitary conditions. And feeding them might introduced parasites and other nasties into your tank.

brianyu
03-12-2012, 12:04 AM
the frozen food are safe , hikari have a very good sterilizer stage , i'm not too worry about parasites, but there are not much protein in there . I will try to cut back on frozen food .

brianyu
03-12-2012, 12:04 AM
the tanks was made for plant and shrimp from beginning :D , im more like a plant guys then a fish guys .

i like that tank for shrimp :)

the problem with feeding in a planted tanks.. the discus can't find the food at the bottom.. it took awhile but my fish finally accepted tetrabits

brewmaster15
03-12-2012, 08:40 AM
Okay, Here we go again.. This is just getting real old..Deja vu time and again.

Look its simple.... If you want the best chance of succeeding with Discus ...read and apply whats here...

Take a look at these threads please... They are meant to guide you and other novices....

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...st-discus-tank
http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...ed-with-Discus
http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...e-bottom-tanks
http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...hat-not-to-buy
http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...t-I-ve-learned...

After reading those threads you should be able to look at what you are doing and whats recommended and make the changes needed if you really want to succeed with discus.

If after reading thru those threads you need more help, we have a questionaire that you can fill out here...

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...p-Questionaire

That will help more experienced Discus keepers get you on the right track...First step though is to educate yourself thoroughly using resources like these.

I don't understand why it is so hard for some people to understand.. If someone asks for experienced advice...give it and if they chose not to listen...move on and let them do what they please with their fish...If they kill it so be it...But don't get sucked into a pointless thread. Theres plenty of others out there that will listen...you focus on them. If everyone does that, there will be no question as to whats the best way to do something.

Brianyu,
As said by others ... what you are doing isn't proving any thing.. Its not an experiment...it lacks controls and sufficient numbers of samples to generate anything of real value. If you like the look of one fish in a tank.... go for...if its healthy, and you don't run into a probelm it'll live fine, discus can be alone. They feel more secure and act more naturally in groups....they also eat more and grow faster and better in groups. The only thing you accomplish by keeping one lone discus like that is you cheat yourself out of the pleasure watching discus interact with other discus. It is your fish to do with as you please....But the way you are keeping it is not what most here would recommend...It is not what I recommend to you or any novice.

Threads like this take away from this forum... And makes it more diificult for those with experience to help those in need of it...threads like this make experienced members not want to help others...and I don't blame them..I'm one of these "experienced" members too and I feel their frustration...But I need this forum to teach novices how to best raise their fish so that our hobby continues to grow...so I will continue to try and help where I can.
Anyone posting in this thread should read this if they haven't already.....

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?94283-The-Forum-Facts...Read-this.....

I believe that everyone should have the freedom here to post their opinions and experiences... but People need to moderate themselves...learn when to walk away...and leave a problem thread or questionable member to the forum's moderators to deal with.... people need to stop feeding into these threads.It just makes them worse. As the forum's owner I feel this is a very fair request. I know very well that some would do things different that I do with the running of the forum...I'll reserve my personal thoughts on some of these people and just say that I'm fine with that and I am always open to talking with members about their legitimate concerns.... But at the end of the day...I run SimplyDiscus how I think it will best and most fairly meet its goals of promoting our hobby and understanding discus in the largest number of people worldwide. I've done this for the last 10 years now and will continue to do so as long as I can.

Locking this thread now...
Al