PDA

View Full Version : dwarf baby's tears question

douce
02-23-2012, 05:09 AM
hello!

in my planted discus tank, I have quite a lot of healthy dwarf baby's tears. i'm currently working on a planted terrarium, and was curious if it is possible to keep this strain of baby's tears outside of a body of water? i wanted to plant some of the baby's tears in pots along the top of my tank, using (most likely) a mixture of coconut husk and potting soil as the substrate. these plants would be directly under the tubing for my water drip wall, so the soil would constantly be moist - which, from what i've read, are what baby's tears prefer when planted in this situation. the humidity for the tank is also very high - around the 70-80% range. the lighting would be provided by a single CFL.

hopefully one of the many knowledgeable plant enthusiasts on the site can help me out, aha. thanks!

pcsb23
02-23-2012, 06:01 AM
In theory, yes you should be able to grow hc emersed, Tropica grow all of their plants emersed. You may get some die off/melt if you then put it in the tank. Provided the potting substrate remains moist with your humidity it should be fine. I've not done this myself with hc (have with other plants though). Good luck and post some pics when done :)

lipadj46
02-23-2012, 06:20 AM
many people start their planted tanks emersed especially if they want an HC carpet with good root system. There is a guy over on plantedtank and mfk that sells riparium plants too.

laborelch
02-23-2012, 08:33 AM
I had them in my dart frog tank. Took a while for them to adapt from submersed to emersed, but then they grew fine with humidity of 70-80%.

lipadj46
02-23-2012, 08:43 AM
most HC you buy is grown emersed AFAIK.

douce
03-15-2012, 11:31 AM
In theory, yes you should be able to grow hc emersed, Tropica grow all of their plants emersed. You may get some die off/melt if you then put it in the tank. Provided the potting substrate remains moist with your humidity it should be fine. I've not done this myself with hc (have with other plants though). Good luck and post some pics when done :)

thanks for the advice. i haven't wound up putting any HC in the tank yet, but here is the tank so far: http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?95020-45-gallon-planted-paludarium&highlight=