PDA

View Full Version : juvies growth

stenchx
02-23-2012, 05:40 AM
How much longer would a couple of discus, lets say 4 discus at 3 inch take to get to adult size in a community aquarium with other fish in it and 2x feedings per day.

WMD
02-23-2012, 07:50 AM
hard to tell. it all depend on How 1) nutritious the food is. 2) good is the water quality.....
i have few brown discus in 55g bb tank and they are 5.4 inches and are 1 years old. they could be stunted lol

Skip
02-23-2012, 08:54 AM
discus grow based about the conditions they were in from day one of birth.. the fastest growth would happen in first 4 months or so.. 1" of growth, under great conditions would be goal.. after that they take much longer to achieve the nest 3-4".. IF they have good food, lots of clean water every day.. and healthy..

in your conditions OP.. what do you consider adult size.. ?

if you want adult size.. you should buy the largest you can afford.. less trouble.. and someone else has done all the hard work

Wes
02-23-2012, 08:58 AM
My 1st 3 discus put into a 55gal they were about 3 inches. Gravel, planted, temp 78 or 79 and angles some tetras,plecos, clown loaches. Fed them 3 times a day twice flake and once blood worms or brine shrimp. 25 % Water change once a week, and other aquarist thought i was nuts to change that often. I took them a year to all die and thee last grew a half inch at most. learning experence.

moon_knight1971
02-23-2012, 02:48 PM
Last time I did a discus community tank, in a 55g housing 6 discus, I never got them over 5 inches. I got them at 2.5 - 3 and they lived about 6 - 7 years...

Joey

Callisto
02-23-2012, 04:59 PM
If they don't get much over 5 inches are they considered stunted? Even if they are eating well and active?

Skip
02-23-2012, 06:11 PM
If they don't get much over 5 inches are they considered stunted? Even if they are eating well and active?

read this first.. this will give you idea.. of what to avoid..

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?46982-What-not-to-buy

stunted is like 2 of my fish that never go over 2.5" in almost a year.. a breeder would cull these.. but if you get the fish really young and you don't really know how to care for them.. this is the result.. OR it could just be genetic.. hence the culling..

they will have REALLY BIG EYES compared to body.. look thru the link i sent you.. you will understand..
so you know what you are looking for when discus shopping..

Callisto
03-07-2012, 06:18 PM
Thanks Warlock, I have read the link you suggested. I am going to Visit hans on the 11th and pick out eight 4 inch Discus. I am way excited!!