PDA

View Full Version : What is the Rarest Strain of Discus

DiscusLoverJeff
02-24-2012, 03:35 PM
What is considered the rarest discus to obtain? I heard once of an Albino Wild Heckel. Or I heard of the Cameleon Discus.

Is the Penang Eruption the most colorful? My opinion, yes.

Discus-n00b
02-24-2012, 04:07 PM
The most colorful? What do you mean, having the most colors on one fish, or the brightest color? Rarest discus? I'd imagine a wild albino would fetch a hefty price...what about a breeding pair of heckels, that should bring in $$$ lol. I'm not sure if there is a real "rare" discus. Nothing I have seen indicates a fish that people are craving to have but can't readily get. Seems most types and strains are available somewhere. If you are talking a specific line of fish, then yeah maybe...like old Wattley lines or schmidt focke lines or something....those might be rare.

If I had to place a "rare" tag on discus, I would say any wild. They have a chance to go extinct and we may never see wilds like we see them now. Domestics can easily be reproduced and strains can be replaced with the same colors and features as before. Its just hard to make them like the Amazon makes them IMO.

DiscusLoverJeff
02-24-2012, 04:14 PM
Good point Matt.

Maybe the most colorful is the PE and brightest, I had some very bright Blue Diamonds.

Yes the wild discus could be extinct one day if too much over harvesting. Hopefully that won't happen due to regulations on harvesting. Now a wild pair of Heckels would be sought after for sure.

I remember the Schmidt Focke discus from many years ago. Could be rare now for sure.

Second Hand Pat
02-24-2012, 04:16 PM
Jeff, believe building dams is the biggest concern with wild discus.

John_Nicholson
02-24-2012, 04:20 PM
The rarest discus of all time would be a large, healthy discus that reached its full potential while being raised in a planted tank......

-john

Skip
02-24-2012, 04:22 PM
lol... Zing

discuspaul
02-24-2012, 04:49 PM
The rarest discus of all time would be a large, healthy discus that reached its full potential while being raised in a planted tank......

-john

LOL - but agree.
Having said that, and believe it or not, my daughter has a Cobalt at least 6.5" in size, about 2 years old, which was raised from under 3" in a 40 gal planted tank, along with 4 other discus - and it's still in that tank today, as are 3 of the others which are well over 5".

As for rarity - one of the most sought after domectic discus, at least in S.E. Asia & the Far East, from what is was given to understand, is a solid true scarlet-colored discus - a deep pinkish- mauve-lilac, that is stunning.
Have only seen pics, and I don't know of any ever having been imported to N. America - so they haven't been seen here - hence wouldn't be sought after on this side of the pond.
I believe they were developed a few years back, in either Singapore or Malaysia, and have not heard of any being available for export.

warblad79
02-24-2012, 05:14 PM
The elusive snow leopard is the rarest of them all.

Northwoods Discus
02-24-2012, 05:31 PM
This guy is pretty rare. Before I new any better I raised him in a planted 150. Did lots of water changes but he grew nicely. I call him Big Blue.

John_Nicholson
02-24-2012, 05:33 PM
Nice fish.

-john

nc0gnet0
02-24-2012, 07:59 PM
The elsuive solid yellow with perfect red eyes. ;)

I think good tri-colored discus that hold there color into adulthood are rare.

Discus-n00b
02-24-2012, 08:10 PM
The elsuive solid yellow with perfect red eyes. ;)

I think good tri-colored discus that hold there color into adulthood are rare.

These aren't to bad. ;)
http://diskusforum.se/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1204

John_Nicholson
02-24-2012, 08:50 PM
Since my attempt at humor caused some of the thin skinned members to stroke out I would like to make a change to my post....The solid yellow with red eyes is a fish that I have hunted for longer than most of ya'll have even known what discus were. High quality ones are quite rare. I have spent lots of times and money in my search without any real luck.

-john

JenTN
02-24-2012, 08:53 PM
These aren't to bad. ;)

That first one just about made me pee my pants! It shines!!

nc0gnet0
02-24-2012, 09:07 PM
Since my attempt at humor caused some of the thin skinned members to stroke out I would like to make a change to my post....The solid yellow with red eyes is a fish that I have hunted for longer than most of ya'll have even known what discus were. High quality ones are quite rare. I have spent lots of times and money in my search without any real luck.

Every since I first seen you post about your attempt to find the perfect yellow fish I have looked through tons of pictures and I have to admit, your right. What is it that makes them so rare John? It doesn't seem like they should be but, then again they are indeed.

Rick

John_Nicholson
02-24-2012, 09:10 PM
They almost always turn orange. It is quite rare to have one that stays yellow with red eyes. I have always siad that I want to work on a line of them but I never seen to find the right stock to work with.

-john

nc0gnet0
02-24-2012, 09:18 PM
Even when fed food with no color enhancers (which is hard to find)?

Rick

John_Nicholson
02-24-2012, 09:44 PM
Yep

magewynd
02-24-2012, 09:52 PM
I'd like a line of clean brown based GOLDENS with no PB blood. Does the last one look golden?

These aren't to bad. ;)

John_Nicholson
02-25-2012, 10:21 AM
Not sure where the last one came from but it has already lost its red eye. I really like the first 2 better.

-john

seanyuki
02-25-2012, 10:26 AM
Love to see an albino discus with blood red iris.......imo that's is rare.

seanyuki
02-25-2012, 10:32 AM
Hi John.....non albino strains should not have red pupils and only black pupils and red iris......hopefully I am wrong.

Not sure where the last one came from but it has already lost its red eye. I really like the first 2 better.

-john

John_Nicholson
02-25-2012, 10:40 AM
Hi John.....non albino strains should not have red pupils and only black pupils and red iris......hopefully I am wrong.

You are correct. The last one pictured had a yellow iris.

-john

brewmaster15
02-25-2012, 10:41 AM
I've tried looking for the yellows too....problem is almost every food out there contributes red or orange pigments which discus naturally take up and use...so anytime I tried a yellow fish I wind up with a nice orange/red fish in the end. ..and I am far too lazy to feed food laced with carophyll yellow...I've given up trying.

-al

seanyuki
02-25-2012, 10:45 AM
Hi Al.....from what i heard from friends.....they feed yellow discus with blood clams iso using synthetic yellow enhancers.

I've tried looking for the yellows too....problem is almost every food out there contributes red or orange pigments which discus naturally take up and use...so anytime I tried a yellow fish I wind up with a nice orange/red fish in the end. ..and I am far too lazy to feed food laced with carophyll yellow...I've given up trying.

-al

brewmaster15
02-25-2012, 10:52 AM
Hi Al.....from what i heard from friends.....they feed yellow discus with blood clams iso using synthetic yellow enhancers. Thanks Francis, but even so... still too much work provided I could even find blood clams to feed them!:)

-al

seanyuki
02-25-2012, 10:59 AM
Hi Al.....i love eating those blood clams dip in red Chinese vinegar (Shanghai food) very tasty in Hong kong......if I find a source in Vancouver for blood clams.....I will get some yellow discus using blood clams and post results.

Thanks Francis, but even so... still too much work provided I could even find blood clams to feed them!:)

-al

DiscusOnly
02-25-2012, 11:07 AM
Francis. Aren't blood claims dangerous to eat (especially if it's not fully cooked)?

All this talk about yellow makes me want to try Caryphyll yellow on the discus I have.

Van

Skip
02-25-2012, 11:09 AM
Francis. Aren't blood claims dangerous to eat (especially if it's not fully cooked)?

All this talk about yellow makes me want to try Caryphyll yellow on the discus I have.

Van

uh?!

DiscusOnly
02-25-2012, 11:14 AM
spelling error.

seanyuki
02-25-2012, 11:21 AM
I been eating blood clams since I was a kid ......still living now lol......vinegar kills harmful bacteria.

Van

Discus Origins
02-25-2012, 11:41 AM
The only natural strains that are truly yellow based are the Xingu wilds posted by Nandi. With the Belo Monte dam being built the entire Xingu fishery will be affected and that bloodline may be lost. Perhaps if someone would select breed and cross back the yellowest individuals of the Xingu there could be a way to create a bright yellow strain with red eyes all without color or hormone enhancement.

The trick would be finding the stock to begin with...I've never seen Xingu wilds available on lists

John_Nicholson
02-25-2012, 01:56 PM
The only natural strains that are truly yellow based are the Xingu wilds posted by Nandi. With the Belo Monte dam being built the entire Xingu fishery will be affected and that bloodline may be lost. Perhaps if someone would select breed and cross back the yellowest individuals of the Xingu there could be a way to create a bright yellow strain with red eyes all without color or hormone enhancement.

The trick would be finding the stock to begin with...I've never seen Xingu wilds available on lists

I have had the same thought for years, but like has been said it is finding the orgin brood stock to start with.

-john

Bilbo
06-14-2014, 09:44 PM
Every since I first seen you post about your attempt to find the perfect yellow fish I have looked through tons of pictures and I have to admit, your right. What is it that makes them so rare John? It doesn't seem like they should be but, then again they are indeed.

Rick
Because discus of that caliber go to Japan.

I hate to bring up an old thread like this but I found it intriguing as I am looking for the same yellow discus with red eyes.

kkdiscus
06-15-2014, 12:19 AM
Is there a albino wild ? Any pic?

coslothedog
05-24-2016, 02:45 PM

-john

I was just in a petstore near pittsburgh pa that has a solid yellow breeder that is the size of a dinner plate
here is the link to the store and they will ship
http://www.wetpetsandfriends.com/pittsburghdiscus.htm