PDA

View Full Version : How many Discus should I buy?

scarhbar
02-24-2012, 08:27 PM
Alright, my tank is newly set up. It is 75 gallons, no fish yet, and I have a few plants so far. My plan is to eventually carpet it with Crypts, and put some Val in the background, and do a ludwigia bush in the middle, so they always have somewhere to hide behind. Whether it is the driftwood, or plants, I want them to hide behind something if need be :)

I am running an FX5 filter on the tank. The pH is about 6.5, and the water is soft. Not sure how soft, sorry :/ I am doing 25% water changes, three times a week.

The only tank mates I was thinking of getting, would be a school of Cardinal Tetras, maybe some Cories or some Amano Shrimp, (since Amanos are a little bigger than your average aquarium shrimp, I don't think the Discus would eat them). So here are the fish I may potentially have with the Discus:
-10 Cardinals
-6 Cories or 6 Amanos (leaning towards Amanos though)

As for the Discus I don't know how many to get. I plan on buying them as babies, and raising them in this tank for the rest of their lives, so I need to know how many ADULTS will fit in the tank with the fish listed above? 5? 6?

Thanks! Please help :) I have never kept babies before, but I did take in some Wild Caught Nhamundas.

I am not new to Discus, but I am new to keeping, and raising babies, so that is why it is in this section :) Thanks, Tyler.

David Rose
02-24-2012, 08:30 PM
Regarding how many... at least five to start to spread out the aggression. (1 adult/10gals is the general rule) As for water changes at 25%, this will most likely need to be increased depending on what you feed and how often to maintain excellent water quality that discus require. I would do at least 50% x 3 minimum.

TNT77
02-24-2012, 10:14 PM
I suggest you read these threads before you decide to raise juvies in a planted tank.
http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?93624-My-Planted-Tank-Experience http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?55440-So-ya-wanna-planted-Discus-tank

scarhbar
02-25-2012, 02:04 AM
Regarding how many... at least five to start to spread out the aggression. (1 adult/10gals is the general rule) As for water changes at 25%, this will most likely need to be increased depending on what you feed and how often to maintain excellent water quality that discus require. I would do at least 50% x 3 minimum.

Yes, I guess I was kinda fooling my self with only 25% :/ But hey, as long as it keeps the fish thriving :) I just want what is best. I am also stocking the tank fairly heavily with plants, so I hope that helps with the amonia a little bit too.

As for their diet, I am going to feed them a staple of Omega 1(spirulina and color), with the occasional flaked or forzen beefheart. If I get those Amanos, I hope they would be a good clean up crew as well.

scarhbar
02-25-2012, 02:06 AM
I suggest you read these threads before you decide to raise juvies in a planted tank.

Thank you so much for posting the links! It looks like I will need to buy adults, or sub-adults if I wanna be risky :/ I can't exactly return all this gravel, and my heart is extremely set on Discus. In the second link you posted, my plant stocking scheme looks very similar to theres. Maybe more Val., but close :) Thank you for posting the links!

scarhbar
02-25-2012, 03:52 AM
Ahh, it seems my options are to grow them out in a smaller tank :p my only options are a 10 gallon, and a 29 gallon. If I buy six 2" Discus, I think a 29 gallon would be appropriate?

alpine
02-25-2012, 09:42 PM
six 2 inch discus in a 29 gallon tank ....... NO
six two inch discus in a bare bottom 75 gallon tank !!!! YES

Orange Crush
02-27-2012, 05:06 AM
When the discus get bigger they should go into the 75 gal but when they are just 2" that tank will be too much unessasary work for you.
Six 2" discus will have a harder time finding the food in such a big tank and because you will be feeding them a lot as they grow out you should be doing LARGE water changes daily which is much more more work in a 75 than a 29. I say start them in the 29 then move them to the 75 later.
I would do 6 discus to help with agresssion issues but keep in mind that as adults they will require 10 gal each for a total of 60 gal of the 75 gal tank.

alpine
02-27-2012, 08:52 AM
I see !