PDA

View Full Version : How to Know When to Cull

Second Hand Pat
02-27-2012, 02:24 PM
One of the "not so nice" parts of raising fry is the need to cull deformed or weak fry. Some of you may know that I have a growing but small cutch of F1 Tefe fry. They are 18 days old today and all seem fairly uniform in size and see no obvious defects.

As these fry grow what do I need to look for in the form of defects? I know there are gill and fin defects plus fry that fall by the wayside size wise. What else should I look for?

Chicago Discus
02-27-2012, 02:27 PM
One of the "not so nice" parts of raising fry is the need to cull deformed or weak fry. Some of you may know that I have a growing but small cutch of F1 Tefe fry. They are 18 days old today and all seem fairly uniform in size and see no obvious defects.

As these fry grow what do I need to look for in the form of defects? I know there are gill and fin defects plus fry that fall by the wayside size wise. What else should I look for?

usually besides the obvious signs fry will let you know if they need to be culled in my opinion. The ones that just don't look so hot.....Josie

TURQ64
02-27-2012, 02:43 PM
Wild fry, and especially any greens, develop differently than domestic fry...football is ok in greens...don't worry about chins and fins so much either, as they develop slower also....a short gill plate when little can change, a deformed one won't..

Second Hand Pat
02-27-2012, 02:53 PM
Wild fry, and especially any greens, develop differently than domestic fry...football is ok in greens...don't worry about chins and fins so much either, as they develop slower also....a short gill plate when little can change, a deformed one won't..

Hmm Gary, seems if I see something suspect might be good to get a second opinion. Thanks.

dpete9
02-27-2012, 03:59 PM
My batch is 2 days older than yours right now and I am wondering the same.

nc0gnet0
02-27-2012, 04:39 PM
There is no harm in letting a "questionable fish" live a bit longer until you are 100 % certain it needs to be culled. The only harm comes in trying to sell that fish.

Rick

round flat fish
02-27-2012, 04:54 PM
There is no harm in letting a "questionable fish" live a bit longer until you are 100 % certain it needs to be culled. The only harm comes in trying to sell that fish.

Rick

I agree with this 100% I see no harm in letting a fish live a bit longer before you drop the hammer. Some fish will develop nicely but at a slightly slower rate. Obvious stunted or weak fish are the first to go.

Disgirl
02-27-2012, 05:48 PM
Pat, I can't help but remember that one of my ugliest juvies (got it at about 1 1/2") is now one of my most beautiful and largest. But it sure was ugly for months at first.
Barb