PDA

View Full Version : Raise my own discus fry

Ulyss
02-28-2012, 03:48 PM
What should I worry about the most about raising my own fry what should I feed them as soon as they hatch also when do I start changing the water and what should I feed them

cjr8420
02-28-2012, 04:21 PM
stunting them.they eat parents slime coat when hatched.u shouldnt stop changing water.when they are bigger bbs.

Ulyss
02-28-2012, 04:35 PM
I pulled them away from parent because the parent keep eating them so I decided to give it a shot and raise them myself they just started to swim today a gave them a little bit of hikari first bites it's like powder I hope they eat it

cjr8420
02-28-2012, 05:31 PM
put the parents back in search Artificial rearing here and alot of vids on youtube too they wont make it on firstbites but u can learn for next time.read up lots of info here. as for parents eating them it happens alot might be young still but u now have a proven pair

Chicago Discus
02-28-2012, 06:07 PM
put the parents back in search Artificial rearing here and alot of vids on youtube too they wont make it on firstbites but u can learn for next time.read up lots of info here. as for parents eating them it happens alot might be young still but u now have a proven pair

Mikes right there is a lot more to it than just separating them and feeding them first bites you need to start a batch of baby brine shrimp in the am and in the pm and start boiling some eggs and start smearing the yoke on a dark rock or air stone. thats not all there is to it but it will give them a better chance than just first bites.....Josie

Ulyss
02-28-2012, 06:13 PM
Thanks for the info I will try these suggestions well see how it goes