PDA

View Full Version : need help with diagnosis

ding9116
02-29-2012, 03:25 AM
PLEASE HELP.....

Flachen Discus is 6 1/2months from Discus Hans, it stopped eating about 2 weeks and has separated himself from the other fish most of the time. His color is normal and shows no other symptoms. Please advise! Thank you!!

DISEASE QUESTIONNAIRE

Problem

1. Please explain the problems with your fish/when and how they started-
It stopped eating about 2 weeks ago

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, hiding, headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/ white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds)

Not eating and withdrawal from the other fish

3. What medications/ treatments that you have already tried and results. Include dosages and duration of treatment.

None because not sure what to treat for

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and age, number and size of fish

55 gallon tank and 2 years old, 7 fish and 3+ with the biggest being 4+

5. Water change regime/ how long has tank been running/ bare bottom or gravel/ do you age your water?

50% water change once a week, tank has been running 2 years, gravel bottom, do not age water

6 Parameters and water source;

- temp ___84.5__

- ph ___7__

- ammonia reading _0___

- nitrite reading __0__

- nitrate reading __0__

- well water __no__

- municipal water _yes___

7. Any new fish/plants added recently

Nope

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c273/ding9116/IMG_1046.jpg
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c273/ding9116/IMG_1049.jpg He is the one on the left

strawberryblonde
02-29-2012, 01:24 PM
Hi Ding,

You said you have 7 fish in a 55 gallon. Is that 7 discus plus other fish like the angels in the pics?

7 4" discus would be pushing the outside edge in a 55 gallon tank and would only work if you're changing water on a daily basis. Once a week at 50% is going to allow nitrates to build up. Discus are very sensitive to nitrates.

First thing to do, no matter how many fish are in the tank, is to up the water changes. For mine, when they were in a 54g and 4" I was doing 60% in the morning and 80% at night, but I chose to err on the side of LOTS of clean water. At least get your wc's up to 60 - 70% once a day and then watch the fish to see if he improves. It will take several days to see an improvement in his appetite.

While you're doing that you might want to start thinking about getting them a bigger house to live in. They're outgrowing that tank.

Skip
02-29-2012, 02:49 PM
ding.. up your water changes to DAILY! that is FIRST thing to do..

then post updates.. it may takes a few days to see results...

once a week is not enough esp. with a gravel bottom..

how deep is that stubstrate

DonMD
02-29-2012, 05:59 PM
Hey, ding, it's VERY hard to believe that at one water change weekly you have a zero reading for nitrates. Something's not right here, because if your tank is properly cycled, you should have zero ammonia and nitrites, and then a reading of nitrates of 10 to 50, depending on your water change routine. As you don't change much water, I'd guess that your nitrates are on the high end. Maybe you need a new water test kit? Just a thought. Good luck.

ding9116
03-01-2012, 05:12 AM
thanks for the advice guys, yes its a total 7 fish in the tank. i am running a rena xp3 figured over filtration is better. the substrate is a little less than half inch. im thinking of picking up a new test kit any preferences? ill post in a few days thanks

Orange Crush
03-01-2012, 05:44 AM
im thinking of picking up a new test kit any preferences?
API makes a good one also, dont use test strips since they are very unreliable.
Test kits are good for 1-2 years depending on storage among other things.

Skip
03-01-2012, 08:45 AM
did you do a large water change yesterday?

ding9116
03-01-2012, 02:40 PM
60% water change was done yesterday and headed to the lfs to pick up a new kit and looking for a new tank also.

ding9116
03-02-2012, 04:32 PM
He died this morning.. :(

Orange Crush
03-02-2012, 04:52 PM
Really sorry to hear that Ding. :(
Next time try asking for help as soon as you see a problem, it gives them a better chance of recovery.