PDA

View Full Version : Altum Snakeskin x Leopard, worth breeding?

SeaDragon
02-29-2012, 07:29 PM
I'm wondering if a pair consisting of a male Altum snakeskin and a female leopard are worth breeding? Or at least is their fry going to be of value or interest to anyone?

warblad79
03-01-2012, 12:21 AM
interesting cross.

SeaDragon
03-01-2012, 01:07 AM
They've spawned again tonight, though it's in the display tank. :) If its a worth while cross I'll put them in their own breeding tank. I'm just trying to figure out if this cross would be worth breeding them.
PS: I didnt set them up together they chose one another in my display tank. lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hedut
03-01-2012, 08:01 AM
if the altum SS is old generation which oval shape, you will have nice fry shape :) but this just my own opinion ;)

SeaDragon
03-01-2012, 09:49 AM
if the altum SS is old generation which oval shape, you will have nice fry shape :) but this just my own opinion ;)

This is going to sound kind of stupid, but isn't oval shape bad in Discus? I mean thats the major thing of what not to get with Discus, :p

John_Nicholson
03-01-2012, 10:04 AM
As long as both fish are nice it is a cross that I would do.

-john

SeaDragon
03-01-2012, 05:27 PM
As long as both fish are nice it is a cross that I would do.

-john

They both have great coloration and shape.
Though I wonder if the fry would be of sellable quality... Oh the wonder

ajvdiscus
03-01-2012, 07:29 PM
i would go for it if there where mine, you never know and might get some noce looking dicsus ,.

SeaDragon
03-01-2012, 09:12 PM
I've really been wanting to succeed with breeding some Discus. Though I've had some uncooperative subject in the past ;) we'll see what happens!

SeaDragon
03-17-2012, 04:56 PM
Well I put the pair into their 20gal on Tuesday. They seem very happy in their honeymoon pad. Their also eyeing their cone heavily.
As with my previous post about the webcam I have for my discus tanks. Just pm me if you would like to see this pair live!

Sent from my Styrofoam fish box fort using Tapatalk

ajvdiscus
03-17-2012, 08:36 PM
Could you post pictures of the pair ?

SeaDragon
03-18-2012, 11:45 AM
Could you post pictures of the pair ?

Certainly, I'll get some pictures up today.

Julia

LizStreithorst
03-18-2012, 07:51 PM
The cross of strains is a good cross. Whether it's worth doing or not depends on the quality of the parents.

SeaDragon
03-18-2012, 08:04 PM
The cross of strains is a good cross. Whether it's worth doing or not depends on the quality of the parents.

Well they seem good to me, good shape, coloration, seem like genuinely decent fish.

Julia

LizStreithorst
03-18-2012, 09:05 PM
You asked for opinions and I gave you mine. I need to see pics of the pair before I can comment further.

SeaDragon
03-18-2012, 09:27 PM
You asked for opinions and I gave you mine. I need to see pics of the pair before I can comment further.

Oh and that's great I appreciate them. I'm hoping myself they're a good match up! Oh yes I need to post some :p

Julia

MostlyDiscus
03-19-2012, 10:17 AM
Cross sound good. I would walk before you run though. In other words breed them if you can and learn(and ENJOY) from the breeding. I would not worry about how the fry turn out at this point. If in the future you find the breeding discus thing comes easy to you then you may want to invest in stronger strains of discus to breed. There is something about discus fry when they go free swimming and then attach to the parents that is a feeling of true acomplishment. Ed

SeaDragon
03-19-2012, 05:31 PM
Cross sound good. I would walk before you run though. In other words breed them if you can and learn(and ENJOY) from the breeding. I would not worry about how the fry turn out at this point. If in the future you find the breeding discus thing comes easy to you then you may want to invest in stronger strains of discus to breed. There is something about discus fry when they go free swimming and then attach to the parents that is a feeling of true acomplishment. Ed

I can't wait to see that momentous occasion of free swimming fry. That is my entire goal. Have nice strong and healthy fry, and be successful at raising them. Only concern is having 20-50+ growing fry without being able to find them a home. If I can get fairly experienced at raising discus I'll defiantly be interested in trying other varieties.

Julia

SeaDragon
03-19-2012, 10:45 PM
http://img.tapatalk.com/185d6fe6-ef0f-4c7e.jpg here's the male, sorry for the stuff in the water he was attacking a piece of BH tonight.

Julia

SeaDragon
03-19-2012, 10:51 PM
http://img.tapatalk.com/185d6fe6-f07e-47c7.jpg leopard female not helping for pics tonight, not happy I was interrupting dinner. :p

Julia