PDA

View Full Version : Sick fish

Ulyss
03-01-2012, 12:46 AM
My discus have been sick since Monday They are really slimy breathing hard And fin rot I check my water and everything check out right my ph is 6.8 temp 86 I've had these fish for 6 months and never had this problem till now I been medicating them with API pro-series triple sulfa anti bacterial cures just about everything there showing but now there turning black can anybody help

TNT77
03-01-2012, 12:49 AM
Please copy and fill out the questionnaire. http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?38545-Disease-Questionnaire-please-complete

Orange Crush
03-01-2012, 03:49 AM
I would stop medicating until you know what you are trying to treat. In the mean time do LARGE daily water changes and fill out the questionaire that Tara posted above.

Ulyss
03-01-2012, 11:10 AM
Please complete the questionnaire if your fish are sick (copy and paste)

DISEASE QUESTIONNAIRE

Problem

1. Please explain the problems with your fish/when and how they started
They started Monday they had fin rot and some kind of white slime on the side of there stonach

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, hiding, headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/ white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds)

Turning black,excess slime,hiding,fungus,

3. What medications/ treatments that you have already tried and results. Include dosages and duration of treatment.

API pro series anti bacteria that's saids it cures all the signs I was seeing got it at Petsmart comes in powder form one little bag u open for every 10 gallons I have 120 gallon so I had to buy alot of this and use every 24 hrs with a 25 percent water change

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and age, number and size of fish
120 gallons 1yr 7 discus all about 5 to 6 inch

5. Water change regime/ how long has tank been running/ bare bottom or gravel/ do you age your water?
a do water change 1 a week tank has been running for 8 months it's bare bottom I don't age water

6 Parameters and water source;

- temp _____86

- ph _____6.8

- ammonia reading ____0

- nitrite reading ____less than moderate

- nitrate reading ____0

- well water ___ fossit water with stress coat and discus buffer_

- municipal water ____

7. Any new fish/plants added recently
I have plant on pots they been there I did add a new fish there about a month ago

TURQ64
03-01-2012, 11:18 AM
So, the water parameter info is skewed; any nitrites are unacceptable. you cant' have an established 1 yr tank and no nitrates. I assume you mean well water from a faucet?..or municipally supplied?....wc's every other day at least, regardless of tank size..removes harmful pathogens besides waste.

Ulyss
03-01-2012, 12:42 PM
What the best way to remove nitrites also my other fish seem find it's three that are real bad what should I do from now on

Ulyss
03-01-2012, 01:07 PM
How do I get rid of pathogens

Ulyss
03-01-2012, 01:26 PM
Is it possible because I stop using carb

strawberryblonde
03-01-2012, 02:39 PM
The best way to get lower the nitrites and get rid of pathogens in the water is to change a LOT of water every single day.

If the nitrites have appeared just recently, I'd suspect that your filter is the problem. How often do you clean the filter? Since your fish are already sick, for now up your water changes to once per day and give the filter a good cleaning using a bucket of tank water, or a bucket of tap water that's been dechlorinated with Stress Coat.

If it was me, I'd do a 90% water change immediately, and then do 75% water changes every day for the next week. Keep testing the water daily to be sure the nitrites aren't rising again.

You don't need to use carbon with discus fish, so don't put it back into the filter.

Ulyss
03-01-2012, 03:37 PM
Thanks I'll do that feel better knowing what to do now