PDA

View Full Version : Premature breeding attempts?

Me4SweetD
03-01-2012, 02:51 AM
I personally deal with angelfish, but my husband has insisted on keeping discus. Both types of fish get 80% water changes daily and are feed live black worms twice a day. I am very familiar with the breeding habits of the *angelfish and I noticed after a heavy feeding of worms, our blue discus which is about 8 months old dropped her tube and started swimming vertically up the heater like she was going to lay eggs but nothing happened. She repeated this a few times and I have seen her do this twice in the last 2 months. One of the blue snakeskins which is about a month younger was watching intensely and she didn't seem to mind at all. I have noticed that my angels drop their tubes and are far more likely to spawn after a heavy feeding, but if they attempt to lay eggs, they do it successfully. Has anyone seen this behavior in discus? Especially if no eggs are laid? They seem awfully young to even start pairing up yet.

mac2b4mic
03-01-2012, 03:08 AM
I've seen it when mine were too young, especially when 2 females paired up...only 1 laid eggs, the other just went through the motions................but on a safety note, move your heater horizontal before she burns her egg tube and becomes infertile (burns her tube she can't lay)!!!

Me4SweetD
03-01-2012, 03:48 AM
I'll be sure to do that, i do use aqueon pro(new model) with the rubberized coating so they don't get too hot to touch. If I see my angels picking at a heater, I place a huge price of slate in front of the heater and they use that instead, 2nd spawning they recognize the slate and go back to it even if I place it on a different side of the tank (I guess once they go slate, they never go back)