PDA

View Full Version : Whats the best Filtration

Ulyss
03-01-2012, 05:00 PM
What would be better to use on discus a hang on filter or canister or sump or just sponge filters can some one help

John_Nicholson
03-01-2012, 05:16 PM
I prefer sponge filters. They are easy, cheap, and fool proof.

-john

Ulyss
03-01-2012, 05:23 PM
Now with the sponge filter how many times do I change the water also how many do I use I have a 120 gallon tank

TWA
03-01-2012, 05:27 PM
Well hell this has so many variables. It doesn't really matter though, you should be changing 100 gallons a day on a 125! A canister is best, that's what I use with my discus. How often are you changing water?

John_Nicholson
03-01-2012, 05:32 PM
I believe in daily water changes regardless of filter type.

-john

Darrell Ward
03-01-2012, 05:37 PM
Well hell this has so many variables. It doesn't really matter though, you should be changing 100 gallons a day on a 125! A canister is best, that's what I use with my discus. How often are you changing water?

LOL! Sufficient frequency and amount of water changes depend on many things, like stocking levels, size of fish, feeding schedules, types of food fed, etc. etc. Daily water changes are great, but not always practical or needed in every situation.

sayitfast
03-01-2012, 05:41 PM
From my limited experience here I would say the majority of the people here use sponge filters... I have them in my 40 and 29gallon and they simply work without fail... do your water changes and a sponge filter is all you'll ever need.

However, I also have two show tanks... on those a sponge filter does not work. It's simply an aesthetic choice on my part. I prefer to hide everything from sight as much as possible and sponge filters are not so good at doing that.

I use canister filters on those tanks... on my 60 gallon I have a Fluval G6. It works great and is super easy to do maintenance on and deadly silent. I don't even have to turn it off to change the cartridges... you can use any type of media you want in the media cartridge. Downside is they're expensive... Kens Fish (http://www.kensfish.com/fluval-g-series-filters.html) has the G6 for $325 and the G3 for $225.

Currently I'm setting up a 200gal tank in my living room and on that I'll be using Eheim 2180... plumbed in underneath the tank.

I've also seen some pics of peoples setups using sumps and they seemed to also work really well.

I think it just comes down to what's practical and what you really need and want....

Darrell Ward
03-01-2012, 05:50 PM
Almost any type of filter will work in a discus tank, as long as you have some bio and mech, water changes can take care of the rest. I knew an old timer way back in the day, who used no filters at all, just airstones and water changes. I use fliudized bio reactors with sumps, HOBs, sponges, and canisters on different tanks. All work fine.

Altum Nut
03-01-2012, 05:51 PM
I'm with John on being a big fan of sponge filters.
I like them when doing my 80%+ w/c's and don't have to turn them off. You can also seed extra sponges and have ready when setting up new tanks.
Hang-ons and Canisters need to be shut-off unless your inlet stock pipe is near bottom.
The other suggestion would be a sump.

...Ralph

TWA
03-01-2012, 06:53 PM
LOL! Sufficient frequency and amount of water changes depend on many things, like stocking levels, size of fish, feeding schedules, types of food fed, etc. etc. Daily water changes are great, but not always practical or needed in every situation.

I'll be honest when I replied to this post I thought I was on Plantedtank.net (using tapatalk) so I thought this was a guy with a planted tank ect ect blah blah. That's why my reply was like, get it together!