PDA

View Full Version : So I got this discus

TexasDiscus!!
03-01-2012, 11:01 PM
And I am convinced he is still growing. When I got him he was just a little thing. He has bulked up and is defiantly getting bigger. I do my 1 time weekly 40% changed on my 150g tank. I know it could be more often and should be, but I don't have the time. I do feed them 4 times daily as well.
I can tell he is growing by how he looks next to his counterparts. So I got a couple questions.

Is it sort of stunted?
What kind of discus is it?
Can I expect it to grow bigger like 4-5 inches?

Can u tell I am a newb?
Still learning how to tell what looks good/ great in a discus fish

Addictedtodiscus
03-01-2012, 11:05 PM
You've got quite a few discus to be a noob. I too am one, so im waiting on people to answer your questions...=DD

warblad79
03-02-2012, 01:17 AM
It's hard to see the picture

Skip
03-02-2012, 08:56 AM
looks like a blue turq..

wc once weekly. in a planted tank.. and you are trying to grow out.. and you did not say what size it was.. if it already has that kind of color and it less then 4"..

and look to eye/body ratio.. i would say.. it is stunted and would not grow much more..

Jason K.
03-02-2012, 09:06 AM
Eye color is off also... rather dark, should be red.

TexasDiscus!!
03-03-2012, 10:53 AM
looks like a blue turq..

wc once weekly. in a planted tank.. and you are trying to grow out.. and you did not say what size it was.. if it already has that kind of color and it less then 4"..

and look to eye/body ratio.. i would say.. it is stunted and would not grow much more..

So right now this guy is about 2.5-3 inches. I'm not necessarily trying to grow him out, but I would like to see it get bigger.
If it would be worth it, I could move him to my 20g qt tank. It would be easier to do daily wc and feed him exclusively. But then he'd be by himself. :(

The150 tank is planted and I know it isn't ideal for growing this guy out. But I feed him anyway and over the past 3 months he has grown. Bulkier if not "taller".

Seems I am the king of stunted juvies. Lol. But the most stunted discus is still alot nicer than most other fresh water fish in my opinion.

Skip
03-03-2012, 11:16 AM
So right now this guy is about 2.5-3 inches. I'm not necessarily trying to grow him out, but I would like to see it get bigger.
If it would be worth it, I could move him to my 20g qt tank. It would be easier to do daily wc and feed him exclusively. But then he'd be by himself. :(

The150 tank is planted and I know it isn't ideal for growing this guy out. But I feed him anyway and over the past 3 months he has grown. Bulkier if not "taller".

Seems I am the king of stunted juvies. Lol. But the most stunted discus is still alot nicer than most other fresh water fish in my opinion.

well, looks like you have to change the way you are doing some things..

TexasDiscus!!
03-04-2012, 04:19 AM
well, looks like you have to change the way you are doing some things..

Hence the reason I am on this forum in the first place. Unrealistic to just stop the usual regiments altogether. Afterall i have alot of good going for my tank. But some changes to the way we do things can always be applied. And I am.

Besides taking this one discus out, will it grow? It has been growing so far, just not sure if it will continue.

DerekFF
03-04-2012, 04:57 AM
I think he still looks to have growth potential. Not a great fish or anything but hes going to keep growing imo better in the larger tank than in a 20g. Since he doesnt look like a great one to start with genetics may also play a big role in how runty he may end up

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Orange Crush
03-04-2012, 05:27 AM
I could move him to my 20g qt tank. It would be easier to do daily wc and feed him exclusively. But then he'd be by himself. :(
Do not keep discus by themselves, just do large daily water changes in the tank he is in, it will help to keep him healthy and to grow to his potential.

Skip
03-04-2012, 09:02 AM
Hence the reason I am on this forum in the first place. Unrealistic to just stop the usual regiments altogether. Afterall i have alot of good going for my tank. But some changes to the way we do things can always be applied. And I am.

Besides taking this one discus out, will it grow? It has been growing so far, just not sure if it will continue.

you will know in 1 year of that fish being in your tank the answer..

TNT77
03-04-2012, 05:32 PM
What size was he when you got him 3 months ago?

little-minx
03-04-2012, 09:42 PM
Im a newb here too. I think Ive read like 20 hours of information on discus fish lol, and Im still confused on what its supposed to look like if its stunted or not. Its seams that most people say if the body is more oval then round...kinda like a football I guess that thats bad or a stunted discus - also their face aren't supposed to be arrow pointy! However, in my eyes...I swear they all look a little oval -:D!

Skip
03-04-2012, 09:54 PM
Minx..
it takes awhile to learn what is good and what is not.. thats why you need to go and visit hobbyist and see good fish in person.. THEN go to your LFS and look a those.. you will see the differences