PDA

View Full Version : 75G Planted Tank

rocklobster
03-02-2012, 02:04 AM
Hey all,

I have my 75G up and running and it's somewhat planted. I do plan on housing Discus but everybody is saying it's a bad idea to house Discus in a planted aquarium, but I'm up for the challenge. Instead of buying 5 - 6 adult discus, would it be appropriate to buy a breeding pair of adults?

I'm not planning to breed, but let's say if I have dwarf shrimp in the tank, and the breeding pair DOES spawn some eggs, would I have to worry about the dwarf shrimp being a threat to the eggs?

TWA
03-02-2012, 04:41 AM
good luck ect ect youve made up your mind. Probably not, not only would the shrimp probably be eaten, they would be chased off by the parents before they can eat

Skip
03-02-2012, 09:07 AM
Good luck to ur fish

DerekFF
03-02-2012, 01:00 PM
Well despite the slightly dogmatic view most are developing here at SD if you arent affraid to spend the money and possibly lose it then go for it. You have to learn somehow and our words here aren't a replacement for experience that you will gain by owning discus of any size. You may experience some things that we here at SD said would happen, or you might avoid most of them depending on how dedicated you are and how much research you have done here. Best of luck. Buy from one of our sponsors or members versus a LFS. Its worth it, its worth it, its worth it. As for the dwarf shrimp theyll get eaten or pecked to death unless the tank is heavily planted, and even then theyll still get it in the end lol

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Greenheinie
03-02-2012, 02:40 PM
I tried growing out juvies in a planted tank. They're alive and well (one even laying eggs every week on a sword plant), but they didn't grow out as large as my discus that I grew out in a non-planted tank that wasn't pumped with CO2, ferts, etc. I don't think there would be a problem with a breeding pair if they're already full size.

Cevoe
03-02-2012, 02:53 PM
I don't understand the responses to the question that is being asked.
Is it now that all planted tanks are bad for all discus?
The question was would it be ok to keep a pair of adults in a 75 gallon tank that is somewhat planted as opposed to five or six adults.
My advice is that it's not a good idea and that a small group of adult discus would be a good choice.
The second part of the question regarding eggs being eaten and also keeping dwarf shrimp is putting the cart in front of the horse.
Although I don't care for planted discus tanks at all and absolutely agree that grow-outs are a completely different story, there is still nothing wrong with a decently planted tank with a group if discus for display that won't need the same everyday care required for breeders or grow-outs.

DerekFF
03-02-2012, 03:25 PM
I don't understand the responses to the question that is being asked.
Is it now that all planted tanks are bad for all discus?

I was throwing out the preventative before we had 20 responses on how bad plants and discus are, while offering the round about advice of reading lots and buying from a quality source makes discus keeping in any tank easier. And that shrimp are live food lol. But otherwise 2 breeder discus in a tank will get old as theyll constantly chase and beat anything else in the tank up

rocklobster
03-02-2012, 05:33 PM
Thanks for the advice guys.

I'll probably pick up a pair of adult Discus in the future, and if they decide to breed, then they'll breed. My main goal isn't to breed, but to have a well-established and healthy tank. I know for a fact that the dwarf shrimp will probably be picked off, but that's not a problem - the reason why they're going in there in the first place is because I already have too many shrimps in the first place.

But lets say the pair of Discus do lay eggs, would the the presence of dwarf shrimp trigger something in the Discus that will make them react and eat the eggs?

Skip
03-02-2012, 07:04 PM
Discus pairs will figure it out

eventually

rocklobster
03-02-2012, 09:21 PM
Discus pairs will figure it out

eventually

What's that suppose to mean?

TWA
03-03-2012, 02:37 AM
They'll breed over and over until they get it right and don't eat the eggs. That's all

DerekFF
03-04-2012, 01:09 AM
Thanks for the advice guys.

I'll probably pick up a pair of adult Discus in the future, and if they decide to breed, then they'll breed. My main goal isn't to breed, but to have a well-established and healthy tank. I know for a fact that the dwarf shrimp will probably be picked off, but that's not a problem - the reason why they're going in there in the first place is because I already have too many shrimps in the first place.

But lets say the pair of Discus do lay eggs, would the the presence of dwarf shrimp trigger something in the Discus that will make them react and eat the eggs?

No it shouldnt. Theyre protect the eggs but its doubtful that some little shrimp will make them eat eggs.