PDA

View Full Version : Guppy Breeder in Washington Post this am

DonMD
03-02-2012, 05:58 AM
Here's a very well done article from this morning's Washington Post about a local guppy breeder. You may enjoy the article; his fish room is very well done, and he sure knows his business.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/style/va-man-immersed-in-the-world-of-competitive-guppy-breeding/2011/11/18/gIQA3HXWlR_story.html?hpid=z4

Orange Crush
03-02-2012, 07:00 AM
Here's a very well done article from this morning's Washington Post about a local guppy breeder. You may enjoy the article; his fish room is very well done, and he sure knows his business.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/style/va-man-immersed-in-the-world-of-competitive-guppy-breeding/2011/11/18/gIQA3HXWlR_story.html?hpid=z4
I really hate it when you can read the first part of the article but when you try to read page 3 it wants you to register your email with them in order to see the rest of the article. BS if you ask me.
The 1st part was enjoyable however.

bermyguy
03-04-2012, 05:49 PM
Agreed about the enter your email part lol, but it is a good read.

Hicgup
03-05-2012, 05:23 PM
I used to raise and show guppies back in '02 and '03 and met Bill. He is a great guy, and a great breeder. One thing I don't think was in the article (I didn't go to p. 3 grrr)was that Bill was very good friends with another GREAT guppy breeder in Va, Paul Gorski. When Paul was actively breeding and showing it was a sure bet that either Paul or Bill would be class champion of the Green class. They were big (Friendly) competitors. They also shared fish. About every four or five generations they would give each other some of their best green fry to make crosses. They essentially line bred the same strain, and then every few generations made an outcross with closely related fish. They got vastly superior results this way. And as an added benefit, if a dreaded disease or hurricaine struck the other one had back up fish ready to start up again. I learned a BIG lesson about finding a good friend that you can share fish with and compete against at the same time. Back in the day that duo was unbeatable in the green class.

DonMD
03-05-2012, 06:26 PM
I used to raise and show guppies back in '02 and '03 and met Bill. He is a great guy, and a great breeder. One thing I don't think was in the article (I didn't go to p. 3 grrr)was that Bill was very good friends with another GREAT guppy breeder in Va, Paul Gorski. When Paul was actively breeding and showing it was a sure bet that either Paul or Bill would be class champion of the Green class. They were big (Friendly) competitors. They also shared fish. About every four or five generations they would give each other some of their best green fry to make crosses. They essentially line bred the same strain, and then every few generations made an outcross with closely related fish. They got vastly superior results this way. And as an added benefit, if a dreaded disease or hurricaine struck the other one had back up fish ready to start up again. I learned a BIG lesson about finding a good friend that you can share fish with and compete against at the same time. Back in the day that duo was unbeatable in the green class.

Great post, very interesting, thanks. It was interesting to see a major newspaper spend so much ink and space on fish breeding, and all the pics were very good. There were many similarities I saw with discus breeders I've met.