PDA

View Full Version : moving my discus

kid discus
03-02-2012, 05:26 PM
hi all, i recently aquired a 75 gal tank and wanted to move some of my fish from my show tank to this new tank due to my fish outgrowing the main tank. i had seeded 3 sponge filters in the main tank for the past month so i know bacteria shouldnt be an issue. i used water from the main tank to fill half of the 75 then topped it off with my reg water supply. everything is the same as the main tank except for the lighting which is a little brighter. anyway..........the 6 fish have been in there a few days now and are constantly hiding when i pass the tank and they seem like they dont want to eat. i feel horrible witnessing this and just want to put them back with their friends in the main tank, before the move they were very active, always following me with their eyes and were always always always begging for food. so the real question is... how long will they be like this? what should i do?

discuspaul
03-02-2012, 05:42 PM
What fish did you move over - were they all discus and how many of them did you move over ?
(Did you leave some discus behind in the other tank & if so,how many) ?
And how long ago was the move ?
I suspect it was just a short while ago, and if that's the case, then of course, as you have introduced those fish to a brand new environment, in which they are not yet settled in and feeling comfortable, they will be a touch stressed and act the way they are now.
The brighter lighting could be having an effect as well.
It's not uncommon for discus to stop eating, or eat very little, for a few days after a move to new digs, and as far as the skittishness and hiding is concerned, that will generally last longer - up to1, 2, or even 3 weeks possibly.
Relax, be patient, they'll come around when they feel fully comfortable in the new tank.

discuspaul
03-02-2012, 05:46 PM
P.S. If it keeps up for an undue length of time, I would do something about lessening the light strength.
And keep checking your water params on a regular basis for the next while.

kid discus
03-02-2012, 06:04 PM
hey paul im actually going to my lfs now to get a new lamp for the tank. and yes all the fish that were moved are discus and it was 6 of them. they were moved not even 48 hrs ago i have done this once before when i upgraded to a larger tank but the larger tank was put in the exact same spot as the one i got rid of the fish never even knew that they were in a new tank and never showed signs like the ones i am experiencing now. maybe its the light maybe its the new location but i am going to rule out the light theory in about 20 mins when i get back.

Addictedtodiscus
03-02-2012, 08:47 PM
I had a 55 gallon with black background and they fish were always skiddish, so i got a 40 breeder, painted all three sides and the bottom blue, and they became "normal" and not skiddish anymore. they come to me for food when i put my hands on the top of the tank now too. Maybe try painting the tank if thats your thing...that for sure has become mine. =D But do what Discuspaul said first before doing what i did to see if it works out for you.

Bill63SG
03-02-2012, 08:51 PM
If everything is the same,I would just wait it out a little longer.Less discus in thier enviroment,and you shook up the pecking order.I hear lighting can be an issue,but hasnt for me.

kendrid
03-03-2012, 11:00 PM
I moved my discus into a new 90g and it's like I started from day 1 again. It's been a week and they are finally getting back to normal.

PAR23
03-04-2012, 10:45 AM
Hey Nick,

Is the bottom and back of the tank covered or painted? I suspect given some time they will come around. It's probably more stressful on you than it is on them :D Good luck buddy...

kid discus
03-04-2012, 09:41 PM
Ha thanks pete the back sides and bottom arent painted. That was my next move. I left them for the weekend while i was in AC i just got back and found them swimming all over for the first time since the move but when i went near the tank they were skittish and hid behind the sponges. Your right it probably is more stressful on me. By the way..... What color blue do you use on your tanks?
Thanks everyone
Nick

PAR23
03-05-2012, 10:25 PM
Good to hear they are coming around. I don't recall the blue I used but will text you with it when I find out.

Bill63SG
03-06-2012, 12:05 AM
I use whatever blue is in the close out bin at home depot.

kid discus
03-06-2012, 07:29 PM
i actually went to home depot yesterday. i baught a sample of behr utah sky its like a purpleish sky blue it looks awesome on the tank hopefully the fish will like it to other than the lighting and the paint there is nothing else i can do now but wait. i did a little experiment and put one of the fish back in its original tank and it immediately felt right at home. all the fish that i moved are juvies i think it will be interesting to see which grows the fastest,,,,,,,,the ones that i moved to the new tank or the one that i put back in its original tank