PDA

View Full Version : Hi New to discus.

Teshi
03-03-2012, 10:33 AM
Hi Everyone,
This forum has already helped me a great deal in setting up my first ever discus tank and the whole fishless cycling. I've been lurking a while now.

But now i need some advice because I'm a bit paranoid. Last week I finally stocked my tank with 4 discus (2 blue diamond and 2 blue snakeskins) They all died within a week. It broke my heart. My water tests were ph-7.8 amm-0 and nitrites-0. I wound up with a faulty heater and digital thermometer. When I had the heater set at 97 the digital thermo read 86.7 but when that was even fishy to me I went and got a good ole reliable mercury thermometer and that read 79. My LFS replaced the thermometer and took back the digital thermometer. When I returned the thermometer I looked at the discus again debating whether to purchase more or wait a while. After looking at the fish I decided to go someplace else to look at discus because they were all schooled up in one corner of the tank, some weren't swimming well.

After waiting another week, I finally went yesterday to a different LFS that isn't too local for me. About a 2hr drive. I wanted to check out their discus. OMG what a difference in how the fish looked. SO much healthier. A bit more expensive but if they Live I don't care! I think Discus are so awesome. I adopted 1 blue diamond and 2 blue snakeskins.

Now here's the part that I am paranoid about. I've had them about 12hrs now and decided to try some food out. The 2 snakeskins are eating just fine but the Blue diamond is just kind of hanging out with them and not eating a thing. Should I be worried? And at what point should I worry? And what should I do? I tried some frozen brine shrimp because that is what they were feeding at the LFS.

Teshi
03-03-2012, 01:12 PM
YAY! I just seen the Blue Diamond eat!. Now to watch for the good dark poops on all of them.

Bill63SG
03-03-2012, 03:15 PM
It can take a bit more the 12 hrs for discus to settle in.Sometimes 2-3 weeks.Dont make the mistake of tossing in all different types of food to try to get one to eat.Give them time,looks like they're coming around already.And three is not a good number.They are a schooling fish,do better in a group.One or more will be dominant,and you need more fish to spread out the aggresion.Now adding more fish brings the problem of quarintine or contaminating your exsisting fish if you add right to tank.

moon_knight1971
03-03-2012, 03:17 PM
When the fish are new you should give them time to adjust to their new surroundings. That can vary from 1 or 2 days of no lights on and no food to just a few hours depending on the discus. You should also quarantine them for 4-6 weeks before adding them to the tank with other discus bought from other sources or even at other times or tanks. Best advice I can give you since you're just starting is to be large discus, 5 inches or bigger as they are much hardier than smaller ones. Best of luck and welcome to the forum!

Joey!

Teshi
03-03-2012, 03:34 PM
I am working at setting up a 20gal quarantine tank right now. No excuse for me only getting 3, I thought it would be okay. I had 4 fish die on me already and was purchase shy I guess. If i went back to the same shop, same tank do I still need to quarantine if they haven't added any new stock? And These are about 3in another mistake made already :(

I only fed the frozen brine shrimp ... didn't keep throwing food at them. So at least i did that part right :D

Teshi
03-03-2012, 03:36 PM
Because they are eating, how often should I feed?

Bill63SG
03-03-2012, 04:23 PM
Brine is ok to get them started,but would start getting them on a good flake,beefheart,tetra bits.Still growing,some do +4 smaller feedings,my guy's were lucky to get three,more like morning and evening,three on weekends.Which is why water quality is of such importance.I hate to say going back to same lfs is ok,its what I would have done in a pinch,or 3yrs ago.Now I would stil quarintine.

Teshi
03-03-2012, 04:32 PM
will future fish be okay in a 10 gal quarantine tank? I just realized my 20 is broken. and for how long is a 10 ok for 3-4 fish? or is it? it will be a while before i get more fish but just want to have the quarantine tank up.

Bill63SG
03-03-2012, 05:00 PM
Depending on fish size,a 10gal is probably too small.You'd want at least a 20,and a 29 would be better.Again you face agression in either tank because of the numbers.Cheap tanks sometimes on Craig's list or dollar per gallon sale's.

Teshi
03-03-2012, 05:19 PM
I just had a thought.... get a new 125gal aquarium and use this one as a QT :D

bermyguy
03-03-2012, 05:24 PM
All the best bro!