PDA

View Full Version : Hydro Sponge...

AFTICA
03-08-2012, 04:17 PM
Lot of people use them... What are your thoughts on the regular Hydro-Sponge VS. the Hydro-Sponge Pro Series?

Also what sizes are you using? (H-II, H-III, H-IV, H-V) on your tanks?

IE what would you keep on hand... for say... 75G grow outs and 29G Breeders?

... or one size only and double them up in the 55s or 75s?

Bill63SG
03-08-2012, 07:23 PM
I like the Pro-series because they're tougher and they sink quicker when new.Lately I've found what I believe to be a flaw with them.When you remove them for cleaning a bunch of the cr@p will flow out,while it will remain trapped in the regulars until you get it out of the tank and to the sink.

magewynd
03-08-2012, 07:38 PM
I usually use one or two H-V's in my larger tanks and use a H-4 in my breeder tanks. I found that I can stash a H-4 in my aquaclear 70's for an extra seeded sponge for a smaller tank and having 2 H-5's going I have an extra larger sponge ready to go if I need it.

Skip
03-08-2012, 07:39 PM
PRO's.. the coarser sponge/black one.. the greys.. get clogged to easy imho..

AFTICA
03-09-2012, 10:45 AM
I figure the Pro's sponge is a little sturdier as well? Probably last a bit longer over time etc... is the base different for the PRO vs the regular or is the only difference in the sponge itself?

Chicago Discus
03-09-2012, 10:54 AM
The pros are what I use because they last longer but with that said the regular ones are much better at getting the finer particles out of the tank.........Josie

Bill63SG
03-09-2012, 11:09 AM
I figure the Pro's sponge is a little sturdier as well? Probably last a bit longer over time etc... is the base different for the PRO vs the regular or is the only difference in the sponge itself?Just the sponge.

shoveltrash
03-09-2012, 06:59 PM
I have both regular & pro hydro 4 sponges. 2 pros in my 65g, one regular in my 40. I actually like the regular sponge better...like Josie said, I think it traps particulate matter better. However I do think that the pro sponge is hardier, lasts lots longer.

I just read on another thread that an easy way to have a seeded sponge on hand for QT is to cut a hydro sponge in half like a bagel, & switch out half.

AFTICA
03-10-2012, 12:53 PM
I have both regular & pro hydro 4 sponges. 2 pros in my 65g, one regular in my 40. I actually like the regular sponge better...like Josie said, I think it traps particulate matter better. However I do think that the pro sponge is hardier, lasts lots longer..

Yeah - guess it's a trade off.... Longevity vs. Efficiency... although ATI's website says "The “reticulated foam” is heavy duty, extremely porous and stiffer than our standard sponges, which allows even greater bacteria colonization and mechanical filtration using higher flow rates without clogging." - I think the key element here is "Higher flow rates" - probably more than air driven flow but more like powerhead flow... this may also explain your experience Bill63SG... When you remove them for cleaning a bunch of the cr@p will flow out cause it never got sucked in that deep into the sponge and when it is disturbed and pulled out of the tank the water flowing out of the sponge takes the crud out with it... something probably not as much an issue with the original foam.

I just read on another thread that an easy way to have a seeded sponge on hand for QT is to cut a hydro sponge in half like a bagel, & switch out half.

Yeah - simple yet brilliant! I DO LIKE THAT!

T_om
03-11-2012, 12:25 PM
...ATI's website says "The “reticulated foam” is heavy duty, extremely porous and stiffer than our standard sponges, which allows even greater bacteria colonization and mechanical filtration using higher flow rates without clogging."

I read stuff like this and just shake my head. This is "ad speak" folks. Very similar to Orwell's "Newspeak"... both contain the same amount of truth.

Bacteria colonization depends upon surface area, and mechanical filtration depends upon the "fineness" of the filter medium... the finer the better for mechanical entrapment of particulate matter. Of course, the finer material will have to be cleaned more often, because it clogs more easily. Clogging means the filter is doing its job folks.

They are trying to convince you of just the opposite with this "ad speak" response.

Tom