PDA

View Full Version : adjusting discus to light?

Mep1127
03-09-2012, 01:22 AM
Im having some trouble with my discus, at least with lights. I have a regular tank light made for a 30 gallon tank. Im using it on my 55 gallon because theres no point in using my t5 yet. But it seems they really dont like that light. Its not that bright. I even made the lights even dimmer by allowing light only from the middle portion of the lamp to shine. For viewing purposes and such i notice they look much better with the tank light on. They have only been used to room lights. Is there a way to to make them used to the light? If they feel uncomfortable with this little light I can only imagine when I bring out the t5 =(

The light bulb type is a simple life glo bulb by hagen

Bill63SG
03-09-2012, 12:11 PM
How long have they been in the tank.My display tank is brightly lit in a high traffic area,and one of my pair tanks is at the bottom of the stairs where everyone has to pass by.For me it just took some time to settle in and get used to whatever thier routine was going to be.

ExReefer
03-09-2012, 12:32 PM
What do you mean by "having trouble with my discus"?

If you already limited the lighting, then something else is bothering them. It's all about eliminating issues one by one. You dimmed the lighting, so what's next? 99 times out of 100 it's water.

Heatlhy, stress free discus don't care much about bright lighting.

JenTN
03-09-2012, 12:46 PM
I tend to think of other stressors as well, I have higher lights and mine are often at the top. If a person approaches they line up beeging for food and Ive only had them a couple of months. They even approach when the cat sits on the couch to watch them. I read somewhere to knock lightly on the glass, healthy discus will slowly swim away, ill discus will dart around in a frenzy.

ExReefer
03-09-2012, 01:09 PM
I read somewhere to knock lightly on the glass, healthy discus will slowly swim away, ill discus will dart around in a frenzy.

This is so true. In fact, healthy discus may not even back off when you tap the glass. Another thing I do is tap the glass cover before I feed my fish. As soon as they hear me tap, they race to the top. If any of them lag behind, I know something is wrong.

When I had water issues, if anyone walked by the tank the fish would flee and crash into the glass. It was horrible to watch.

JenTN
03-09-2012, 01:44 PM
This is so true. In fact, healthy discus may not even back off when you tap the glass. Another thing I do is tap the glass cover before I feed my fish. As soon as they hear me tap, they race to the top. If any of them lag behind, I know something is wrong.

When I had water issues, if anyone walked by the tank the fish would flee and crash into the glass. It was horrible to watch.

I have on pigeon blood that when I tried the tapping thing stared at me like "what now? wanna go at it? I'm game!" LOL. And the babies that Hans sent for the kids just sat there like, "ooookaaay, where's the food?" It's odd, the smallest fish (the babies he sent, which are about to outgrow the 2 lowest on the pecking order of juvies) are some of the boldest fish.

michael.leerak
03-09-2012, 09:12 PM
I have some new discus that are scared of the light as well. Ive had them 2 weeks, they eat well and are very comfortable and swim all over the place with the room lights on. As soon as I turn the tank light on they hide behind my sponge filter. Does this mean my discus are ill? Because I doubt that.

warblad79
03-09-2012, 09:25 PM
Strong light are not suitable for Discus. I use LED 5000K color temperature, Natural Daylight for my discus tank.

Mep1127
03-10-2012, 02:15 AM
What do you mean by "having trouble with my discus"?

If you already limited the lighting, then something else is bothering them. It's all about eliminating issues one by one. You dimmed the lighting, so what's next? 99 times out of 100 it's water.

Heatlhy, stress free discus don't care much about bright lighting.

No my discus are quite healthy. They approach me fine and know when im about to feed them. Its just the minute i turn on tank lights they get scared and crowd to the dark part of the tank.

Mep1127
03-10-2012, 02:25 AM
How long have they been in the tank.My display tank is brightly lit in a high traffic area,and one of my pair tanks is at the bottom of the stairs where everyone has to pass by.For me it just took some time to settle in and get used to whatever thier routine was going to be.

2 of them have been in the tank for 3 months and 4 of them about a month. I do notice the original 2 i have dont mind the light. Its the other 4 that do. My tank is located in a place thats not very busy.

Trier20
03-10-2012, 04:27 AM
What time of day are you turning the lights on? If its early you might want to try moonlighting to help the transition so it's not as big of a transition from night to day. I have a 10k and an atinic on mine and have no problems.

Mep1127
03-10-2012, 04:35 AM
I do it in the afternoon when the den is somewhat lit up by the sun. But i transition it slow I turn on room lights and then try to use the tank light but still no success. I wonder if it is something they have to get used to like a feeding routine or cleaning routine. The only atinic light i have is my t5 and its too bright for them... although i have an aquatic life t5 with a timer and it does have built in moon lights. Should I use those for a while?

rostick555
03-10-2012, 06:49 AM
I know when I got my fish they were having trouble adjusting to the light but now they could care less I do notice the younger fish are the more sensitive ones when it comes to lighting. I know timers and leaving them alone for a couple hours when the lights come on helped me and I have cfl at 6700k. Also if you plan on using the t5 I would put that on with a timer because u will have the same issue when u change lighting jmho

walt3
03-10-2012, 03:45 PM
try a timer and partially cover the lights and slowly allow more in each couple days maybe..

Darrell Ward
03-10-2012, 08:21 PM
Sometimes discus, or any fish for that matter, do shy away from tank lighting if they have never experienced it before. Some people slowly acclimate them using stuff to block the light, and slowing remove it a little at a time, like window screen. I've found if you just turn it on and leave it, they will adjust on their own. It may take some time, but they will get used to it, and ignore the light after awhile.

minajaguar
03-14-2012, 06:02 PM
try not to make lights directly straight to their eyes .. just put your self in their position and you can't close your eyes .. so try put extra shades by putting floating plants of increase high hiding spots ... or if you can change the position of the room light or the tank to make the tank under the room light bulb not to be directed to their eyes ..