PDA

View Full Version : Stendker Discus

pHish_man
03-09-2012, 05:12 AM
hi

Does anyone know if Stendker Discus are parasite-free? I believe Piwowarski's fish are para-free.

regards

Andrew

Chad Adams
03-09-2012, 09:24 AM
I can't answer this question for you because it is somewhat of a loaded question. It depends on the intent or meaning of your question and statement. Both question and statement can mean something different.

I have and have had Stendker discus for several years. Absolutely never any problems! I hope this helps to answer your question.

Chad

John_Nicholson
03-09-2012, 09:45 AM
The animals including humans are host to lots of other organisms so it is hard to answer your question. If you are asking are Stendkers discus healthy I would say yes...100% so.

-john

seanyuki
03-09-2012, 09:56 AM
I have seen those Stendker discus in a LFS in Vancouver.......very nice indeed......plus great appetite too .

qiyanfeng
03-09-2012, 10:19 AM
I want to say is stendker discus is healthy. All my stendker discus grows well. For parasites, as what others said, it depends on what you are looking for. Piwo has their own procedure to be "parasite-free". I bet most of us can't do exactly same thing at home for years long.

pHish_man
03-09-2012, 10:40 AM
Thanks for all the replies.

Then what would the definition of 'para-free' discus be?

regards
Andrew

PAR23
03-09-2012, 01:54 PM
I don't think there is such a thing as "100% parasite free". I wouldn't believe it even if someone makes that claim. The state of any animal depends on their immune system and its ability to keep infections at bay since all animals are carriers of potential pathogens. In my mind, healthy discus just means the pathogens are unable to get the upper hand.

nc0gnet0
03-09-2012, 03:05 PM
parasite free would be discus raisied artificially in the strickest of enviroments. It could be done with the stickest of measures agains cross contamination.

peglegderek
03-09-2012, 07:39 PM
i bought all my recent discus from Hans they are super healthy!!!

mrfishes
03-11-2012, 01:56 PM
Ditto on Hans. I bought six juveniles and got two pairs out of them. They were my first discus in a long time and I made mistakes with them...but they still bred for me. Great fish and great seller.

Altum Nut
03-11-2012, 02:56 PM
hi

Does anyone know if Stendker Discus are parasite-free? I believe Piwowarski's fish are para-free.

regards

Andrew

Not sure anyone can really place an answer to your question.
Any fish can pick up internal or external nasties from the enviroments they currently house in.
You can buy clean fish but mistakes made by the hobbiest transmit something and later passed on to the next owners.
I can say that I've had and currently have Stendker Discus and never had any issues other than they eat like pigs and breed like rabbits.
Not sure if I've made any sense to this.
Always a great suggestion is to read feedbacks on the supplier.

...Ralph

mikeos
03-11-2012, 04:55 PM
Parasite free would be dead and preserved in formalin....or still in the egg as afaik not much can happen between fertilisation & hatching, beyond that very few multicellular animals are "parasite free"...maybe even none are?

If the question is actually are they heathy... then yes ime 100% of the time as Jorg & Volker would not allow sick fish to leave the property, after that is is down to how the supply chain has treated them.

pHish_man
03-12-2012, 04:27 AM
On Piwowarski's website he states that his fish are free of parasites. So would I be correct in saying that if I was to set up a discus tank brand new, with all new equipment, nets etc etc, and ONLY keep this fish in this setup, then they will stay free of parasites for ever? No problems ever with flukes, flagellates, worms etc?

Need help here please in making a decision what to go for.

regards
Andrew

strawberryblonde
03-12-2012, 12:27 PM
I understand the concerns with getting good healthy discus and the worries about illness in the future, but the best you can do is to buy quality discus from one of the sponsors here, and then to keep your water quality up and the provide healthy foods for them.

Discus are very resilient from my own experiences in the last year. I purchased from Discus Hans and, with lots of daily water changes and plenty of good foods they haven't gotten sick at all. Now if I didn't provide the clean water and the good foods, I'm sure that they could and would develop problems no matter whether they were "parasite free" when I purchased them or whether or not they were isolated and there were no other fish in the tank.

Fact is that all discus carry some pathogens in their systems. The pathogens become a problem when the conditions they are living in become so bad that the immune system of the discus is compromised. Once that happens, the pathogens (flukes, etc) have a chance to thrive and reproduce at rates that the discus can no longer handle.

So what I'm saying is, it's good to be cautious and to buy good stock, but after that what happens to them is up to you. Judging from your posts I'm pretty sure you are going to do a good job of caring for them, and that means that they will be much less prone to problems.

Choose the discus, from sponsors here or from trusted breeders, based on the colors and patterns that you like best. =)

Chad Adams
03-12-2012, 04:57 PM
regards
Andrew

Stendker Discus would be a good, but not your only, choice. I wouldn't buy fish based solely on the claim that they are "Parasite Free".

John_Nicholson
03-12-2012, 05:06 PM
On Piwowarski's website he states that his fish are free of parasites. So would I be correct in saying that if I was to set up a discus tank brand new, with all new equipment, nets etc etc, and ONLY keep this fish in this setup, then they will stay free of parasites for ever? No problems ever with flukes, flagellates, worms etc?

regards
Andrew

This would only apply if you also had a way to sterilize your air, water, and anything else that came into your room. Stendkers are healthy. If you want really nice healthy fish buy some.

I was a little confused on how this was unfolding...you ask about healthy discus and everyone told you to buy from Hans, but you kept asking, kept trying to get an answer that tells you something different...and then it dawned on me. Is there a certain someone who claims to be an experienced discus breeder ( when in reality they are more of a joke than anything ) that sent you a PM making false claims? I only ask because they have been known to throw mud just to advance their own agenda. If that is the case put your reservations aside and place an order with Hans. You will be thrilled that you did.

-john

mmorris
03-12-2012, 09:33 PM
Is there a certain someone who claims to be an experienced discus breeder ( when in reality they are more of a joke than anything ) that sent you a PM making false claims? I only ask because they have been known to throw mud just to advance their own agenda. If that is the case put your reservations aside and place an order with Hans. You will be thrilled that you did.

-john Can I assume, John, that you are talking about me?

mmorris
03-12-2012, 10:05 PM
I think, John, that remark deserves clarification. After all, you are a member of the Simply team.

John_Nicholson
03-12-2012, 10:36 PM
I am talking about someone that uses the forum rules to hide. Someone that acts really sweet in a public forum, but in the background works to tear people down. Someone that would not stand up and let the public see the real person. Someone that watches the forum and likes to send PM's to people trying to keep them from buying fish from someone that has done more for the discus hobby then just about anyone. Someone with limited successes and marginal experience, but yet they act like they are God's gift to discus. Someone that understands that the rules of Simply allows them to hide their true nature. Someone that understands that the rules of Simply prevents the kinds of discussions that would expose the want to be expert. Someone that was discussed by almost everyone at the last discus show as being pathetic.

If you feel this shoe fits them by all means wear it.

-john

P.S. I realize that running a successfull forum can be very difficult and I am not comlaining about the rules, just people that hide behind them.

mmorris
03-12-2012, 10:42 PM
Words of wisdom from the Simply team. :)

John_Nicholson
03-12-2012, 10:44 PM
I am simple judge in the University. Not really part of the simply team.

-john

John_Nicholson
03-12-2012, 10:45 PM
Going to bed now. I check for updates in the morning.

Sleep tight.

-john

mmorris
03-12-2012, 10:49 PM
As long as 'Simply Discus University' is under your name, you are part of the team, and you represent Simply in your correspondence.
Good night, John. :)

yogi
03-12-2012, 10:51 PM

regards
Andrew

In theory you might think so, but in reality NO.

pHish_man
03-13-2012, 04:18 AM
I was a little confused on how this was unfolding...you ask about healthy discus and everyone told you to buy from Hans, but you kept asking, kept trying to get an answer that tells you something different...-john

John, thanks for the replies.

First off, there is no hidden agenda to my question. I am new to keeping discus ( only 1 year experience ) and am trying to learn as much as possible.

Secondly, my original question was not if Stendker discus are healthy ( i am sure they are ) but if they are "parasite-free".

Just some background, I live in South Africa and the availablity of good quality discus is very limited. There is a Stendker dealer over here, but I am specifically interested in para-free fish.

Tks again

Andrew

ajvdiscus
03-13-2012, 04:34 AM
here in Portugal i buy and get stendker discus and never had a problem..

http://i1064.photobucket.com/albums/u369/lcosta2/hp9989.jpg

John_Nicholson
03-13-2012, 07:32 AM
Good luck Andrew. Stendker discus leave Germany 100% healthy. If there is a fish store that sales them I would arrange to get some when they get their next shipment in..before they even take them out of the bags. That way they are not exposed to anything else in the store. You will get great discus.

-john

brewmaster15
03-13-2012, 09:16 AM
Martha,
Regardless of what you think. John is not a member of SimplyDiscus's team.. He is an experienced hobbyist breeder that volunteers his time judging fish for the Discus community here at Simplydiscus. I think if anyone would know who is part of moderator staff or not it would be me.

If there is a difference of opinion between you and John, please take it off the forum.
Regards,
Al

qiyanfeng
03-13-2012, 09:18 AM
Good luck Andrew. Stendker discus leave Germany 100% healthy. If there is a fish store that sales them I would arrange to get some when they get their next shipment in..before they even take them out of the bags. That way they are not exposed to anything else in the store. You will get great discus.

-john

I like this suggestion. If it's doable, jump on it.

Larry Bugg
03-13-2012, 09:45 AM
Some of my best discus have been Stendkers.

roclement
03-13-2012, 09:58 AM
Hello my friend,

As others have said, parasite-free is a loaded question as no one can make that statement with 100% certainty. I am sure that Stendker are as healthy and "parasite-free" as any other professional hatchery out there. They have been in business for a very long time, selling fish to thousands of hobbyists all over the world with extremely high level of satisfaction. Stendker has gained a reputation better than most for healhty, consistent quality fish that are bred and raised under the highest scrutiny possible.

Piwowarsy is also incredibly reputable and takes a lot of pride in his work, I have had the pleasure of conversing with Alex on various ocassions and he will not let fish out of his hatchery that he himself is not happy with, he is a very serious and dedictaed person and it shows on his fish.

My point is that you can do no wrong with either one, both high quality fish, and as "parasite-free" as possible for a living animal.

Your best choice for disease free fish is to import directly, or from a source specific importer that only deals with fish from one or the other vendor like Hans does here in the US with Stendker.

Most problems with discus don't come from the breeder, but come from cross-contamination that happens when fish are exposed to other fish in the importers tanks. If your seller is a pet store near your house, those "parasite-free" discus have now been exposed to hundreds of other fish, coming from all over the world and now MAY be carrying all kinds of nasties with them. Not the breeders fault.

My recomendation would be for you to find a importer that deals with one or the other and buy the fish you like the best! Once they are in your home, quarentine them properly (many threads here on SImply), and don't mix fish from different sources to avoid cross-contamination.

Good Luck!

Rodrigo