PDA

View Full Version : Ammonia in MY tank!!!

JenTN
03-09-2012, 09:06 PM
Tonight I noticed about half my discus, two tetras, and two rams hanging out at the top. The discus it is normal but not the others. I immediately suspected oxygen or ammonia so I did a good filter cleaning and a 90% wc. During the wc my youngest ram started literally tumbling around and has red gills :-( Ammonia AFTER WC is .25 ppm. I suspect its from redoing my tank. I feel so stupid for not testing sooner, plus my filter was dirty. Now Im going to have to fake sick tomorrw because Im supposed to go out of town til Sunday for my grandmothers and sons birthday celebrations and if I told them it was for fish they would hate me. My lfs is closed so I cant go get ammo lock.now. I feel horrible. Anything I can do besides wc??

jimg
03-09-2012, 09:30 PM
major wc, could add safe. if it was established it will catch up quick .25 is not too bad.
check your tap

JenTN
03-09-2012, 09:31 PM
Thanx..Its been running 2 1/2 years.

Orange Crush
03-09-2012, 09:35 PM
If you have Seachem's Prime or Safe follow the instructions on the bottle to detox the ammonia

jimg
03-09-2012, 09:42 PM
good luck with it, things like this always happen when we don't have time to be there to fix it!

JenTN
03-09-2012, 09:54 PM
If you have Seachem's Prime or Safe follow the instructions on the bottle to detox the ammonia

Of course I dont have that on hand lol...I will after this though!

Orange Crush
03-09-2012, 10:33 PM
Safe and Prime are dechlorinators that are much more cost effective than other dechlors plus if you have chlorimines other dechlors convert that to ammonia but Safe and Prime detox that ammonia but it still is available for the BB in your tank/filter. Also in a pinch it will detox any ammonia/nitrIte. No need for other ammonia removers which interfere with cycling and can starve out your BB.

JenTN
03-09-2012, 11:15 PM
Safe and Prime are dechlorinators that are much more cost effective than other dechlors plus if you have chlorimines other dechlors convert that to ammonia but Safe and Prime detox that ammonia but it still is available for the BB in your tank/filter. Also in a pinch it will detox any ammonia/nitrIte. No need for other ammonia removers which interfere with cycling and can starve out your BB.

Good to know...I use a product locally produced (or used to be if Im correct) called Aqua Life Complete as a dechlorinator. It works well IME for slime coat health.

JenTN
03-09-2012, 11:16 PM
Double post

shoveltrash
03-10-2012, 09:42 AM
Now Im going to have to fake sick tomorrwgood reason to call in sick!
good luck!!!!!

JenTN
03-13-2012, 12:42 PM
Thanks everyone..ammonia was down so I ended up going. Lost my ram that first night, I had breeding plans for her :-( Everyone was fine when I got home. I didnt leave my auto feeder on because of the ammonia so after a day of not eating they sure were hungry little buggers! Irony was my daughter got a stomach bug and I had to miss work yesterday!