PDA

View Full Version : Just starting, have a few questions

Steve_B
03-12-2012, 12:45 PM
1) Please Introduce your self and tell us what your experience is with fishkeeping, give us as much information as possible as to how long in the hobby, what you have kept in the past and what you currently are working with.

Hey there SD, my name is Steve and I have been lurking on this forum for about 3 months, devouring all the information I can find about the hobby of keeping discus. I'm on the path to getting discus, I have wanted to keep them for about 5 years now and am finally in a position to do so. I have been keeping fish on and off for around 20 years, I have kept many different varieties of live bearers (platties, swordtails, guppies, mollies), African cichlids, angelfish, oscars, piranha, and pleco's. Currently I have a 30gal setup with tiger/green barbs and black/white skirt tetras, and my future discus tank which I recently acquired, a 80Gal tank that came with some rather large goldfish/pondfish.

2) If you have no previous experience with keeping discus, have you done any research to properly prepare yourself, e.g. have you read any Stickies in this section of SimplyDiscus, or other material?

As stated above I have read a lot of the information available on this site, it has been very informative and helped me make decisions thus far.

3) Describe your tank, its size and dimensions, breeding or display. Include how long it has been setup or if it is still being cycled.

As above, I acquired this tank after doing some research, hearing that bigger is better, I ended up picking up a 80gal setup from a friends parents that were looking to get rid of it.

Dimensions:
4' long
16 1/8" wide
2' tall

this tank is located in the living room as display. It has been setup for about a month now, and is cycling (just had the nitrite spike, ammonia is dropping, and nitrates are now rising)

4) Describe the décor for the tank; type of substrate or bare bottom (BB), whether the tank will be planted or a biotope.

Some fake plants brought from the 30Gal tank to help seed the cycle, bare bottom tank (I spray painted the outside of the bottom of the tank when i received it with a light specklestone color, and sealed it with a light brown...got the idea from a thread on this forum). I am keeping the tank BB and am looking to pickup some nice driftwood (no luck as of yet).

5) Describe your water changes planned or practiced, percentage and how often. Include if you age your water and use of tap/RO or mix.

So far to keep the goldfish that came with the tank alive I have been doing 25-50% WC per day, plan on continuing this as from what I have read its a must for keeping discus happy. I am using water straight from the tap, temperature is matched to the aquarium water, and of course using prime to dechlorinate.

6) Describe the type of filtration planned/used for the tank; sponge, HOB and/or sump. Also include the other equipment you are, or will be, using in your tank, e.g. heater, lighting, etc.

Filtration: The setup came with a aquaclear 110, the casing actually busted when i picked it up after first cleaning it so in a panic I jumped online and saw fluval 405's on sale for $150cdn, so I picked up one of those, but i needed filtration in the meantime so I was able to find a replacement casing for my 110 (also picked up a new impeller and impeller shaft as they were both worn). On top of those i also have 2 sponge filters located in the back corners of the tank. I have a fluorescent light that came with the hood, no heater yet as the goldfish prefer the cooler water.

7) If the tank is already setup and running, include the water parameters;

- temp __70 f

- tank ph __8

- Ph of the water straight out of your tap __7.8

- ammonia reading _.25ppm

- nitrite reading __1.5ppm

- nitrate reading __5ppm

- well water __n/a

- municipal water __7.8ph, 0 0 0 for the rest

8) Describe your current or planned stocking levels; number/size of discus and number/type of dither fish. Where did you get your discus from or do you have a proposed source for getting your discus?

Well once the tank is finished cycling and established for a few months, I am moving the goldfish to a friends pond, then will be looking to pickup some discus, I would like to get 10 around the 3" size (I know this is more than the tank can handle once fully grown, and will sell 2 off provided there are no casualties), may keep a bn pleco with them as i hear thats ok. There is a breeder located about 2hrs from me and he has very nice looking fish, it's a toss up between him and ordering from canadianaquafarm.com.

9) Describe your planned or existing feeding regimen. Include what and how often you are feeding on a daily basis.

From what I have read discus need to be fed around 4-6 times a day, I plan to feed high quality flake, pellets, freeze dried black worms, and some frozen bloodworms as a treat a couple times a week.

10) What are your goals in this hobby? For example are you looking to keep discus in a planted community tank, or do you hope to become a hobby breeder of Discus? Do you want to raise Discus with the hopes of competing in shows?

To start I just want to keep discus, once I get a feel for it i may try to breed them (have successfully bred all the live bearers and angelfish listed above).

Alright now I have a few questions for you knowledgeable folks!

heating:
I have poured over these forums trying to decide what the best route for heating is, it seems that heaters today seem to be all pretty flaky and there is a no clear best in this category. Going by what i have read i am leaning toward Eheim Jager for my heating. I'm on the fence of weather I should pickup one or two 200W heaters (2 in case one fails that way there is a fail safe). I'm also looking into a temperature controller and possibly pickup a UPS, would love your input!

Water Ph:
Consistency is king from what I have read, my water out of tap is 7.8, in my aquarium it jumps to 8 (I think, I'm having a rough time reading the api master test kit results as they seem to be so close together). Now my problem/worry is this, I do not have the space/room to keep a barrel for aged water, at best I can fill 2-5Gal pails and age them (I doubt that would help much though), and I do not have the money for a R/O unit at this time, although I may look into it in the future if this is a big issue. So I am stuck doing water changes straight from the tap, so far my barbs/tetra's in the 30 gal show no stress when doing water changes, and the goldfish in the 80gal don't seem to be bothered either. My question is this, when I do get discus, is the .2ph difference going to stress or shock the discus when I do my daily water changes?

Thanks for the read and any input, sorry for the long post.

strawberryblonde
03-12-2012, 07:00 PM
Hi and welcome!

I noticed a couple of things that I'm sure other people will address, so I'm just gonna skip right down to the bottom of your post and address your 2 questions. (I'm lazy that way...lol)

For heating, having 2 heaters is a great idea. I use 2 Eheim Jagers. It helps lessen the load on a single heater and is good for backup in case of failure. The darned things do have a habit of failing when you least expect it. I also have a temp controller on my big tank and LOVE it! I don't use an UPS, but only because I'm home during the day and if the power goes out I can scramble out there to hook up my battery powered air pump. If I wasn't home during the day I'd probably go with an UPS or leave the battery backup pump running as one of my main pumps.

Water pH: Yours sounds fine and you shouldn't need to age the water. Discus can handle a slight change in pH if it rises. It's only when there's a drop in pH, or a very large rise, that it can cause them problems. So I'm thinking you won't need the RO unit or a barrel for aging. The only other time you'd need to age/aerate the water is if you are getting a lot of micro bubbles from the tap. Mine seems to have micro bubble issues during the early and late winter months. To lessen them I stuff the end of my python outlet with poret foam. It cuts down on them to the point that the water is then safe for the discus.

Good to see you here and to see that you've been reading up on discus keeping. I just got back into fishkeeping a year ago and discus were my dream fish. =)

Steve_B
03-12-2012, 08:37 PM
Hi and welcome!

I noticed a couple of things that I'm sure other people will address, so I'm just gonna skip right down to the bottom of your post and address your 2 questions. (I'm lazy that way...lol)

For heating, having 2 heaters is a great idea. I use 2 Eheim Jagers. It helps lessen the load on a single heater and is good for backup in case of failure. The darned things do have a habit of failing when you least expect it. I also have a temp controller on my big tank and LOVE it! I don't use an UPS, but only because I'm home during the day and if the power goes out I can scramble out there to hook up my battery powered air pump. If I wasn't home during the day I'd probably go with an UPS or leave the battery backup pump running as one of my main pumps.

Water pH: Yours sounds fine and you shouldn't need to age the water. Discus can handle a slight change in pH if it rises. It's only when there's a drop in pH, or a very large rise, that it can cause them problems. So I'm thinking you won't need the RO unit or a barrel for aging. The only other time you'd need to age/aerate the water is if you are getting a lot of micro bubbles from the tap. Mine seems to have micro bubble issues during the early and late winter months. To lessen them I stuff the end of my python outlet with poret foam. It cuts down on them to the point that the water is then safe for the discus.

Good to see you here and to see that you've been reading up on discus keeping. I just got back into fishkeeping a year ago and discus were my dream fish. =)

Thanks for taking the time to read my post, I know it was a bit long but figured i should use the appropriate channel provided to introduce myself and get all the info about my setup on here that I could. I'm waiting for payday this thursday and will most likely be picking up some heaters and a temperature controller, still unsure about the UPS (we don't have a lot of power outages here but god knows after I drop money on discus there will be lol), and that is great news about the Ph and doing water changes not affecting them to much, really was the only thing bothering me at this point.

I'm interested to know what the other things were that you did not touch on?

I am here to learn as much as possible before I purchase my first discus, which isn't going to be for a while yet.

Jeapa
03-12-2012, 09:04 PM
Welcome Steve. It looks like you are well on your way and have done your research. I think it would have been better if you had done a fishless cycle just in case the goldfish had any parasites or bacteria that they may leave behind for your discus. What I would do is go ahead and find another home for them now and finish the cycle without them. You can add a little fish food everyday for a source of ammonia. I would wait a few weeks to add the discus after you have removed the goldfish.

As long as your tap water is stable that will be the easiest way to go since you will want to change 50-75% daily. Just make sure you dechlorinate it and adjust the temp to match your tank.

Good,luck. I look forward to seeing photos of your tank once you have your discus.

Cevoe
03-12-2012, 09:09 PM
Hello, Steve.
I think your plans are right on the money and you should be successful.
As far as the heaters go, I personally use all Jager heaters and size them at approximately 3 watts per gallon.
If the biggest concern you have at this point is whether to get single heaters, multiples or a controller then you're in good shape.
Get what you feel comfortable with.
The only thing I wanted to suggest was the size of what you're going to start with.
3" discus right out of the chute are a little tougher to work with in an 80 gallon tank.
If you jump up to 4" or larger and figure on six to eight fish you may be better off.
An ideal situation would be getting them all at one time from the same source to avoid having to introduce new fish at a later time.
Of course that will cost you more initially but it's always easier spending someone elses money.
Good luck either way.
It sounds like you have your head screwed on right.

Steve_B
03-12-2012, 09:34 PM
Welcome Steve. It looks like you are well on your way and have done your research. I think it would have been better if you had done a fishless cycle just in case the goldfish had any parasites or bacteria that they may leave behind for your discus. What I would do is go ahead and find another home for them now and finish the cycle without them. You can add a little fish food everyday for a source of ammonia. I would wait a few weeks to add the discus after you have removed the goldfish.

As long as your tap water is stable that will be the easiest way to go since you will want to change 50-75% daily. Just make sure you dechlorinate it and adjust the temp to match your tank.

Good,luck. I look forward to seeing photos of your tank once you have your discus.

Well I would have preferred to do a fishless cycle, but these guys were part of the deal and I did not have time to find a home for them, a friend of mine offered to take them once his pond is running, but I believe a LFS may take them sooner if need be, either way I planned on letting the tank sit fishless for about a month before introducing any discus. On that note, say there is parasites or bacteria introduced into the tank, is there a safe way to remove them? So far I have seen no problems in the goldfish, they are 8 years old and very large and hardy, they eat like pigs and beg for food anytime someone is near the tank.

Jeapa
03-12-2012, 10:01 PM
You may be fine Steve if the goldfish are healthy. I just mentioned it as it is always good to qt. any fish you plan on keeping with your discus. I think just removing them well ahead of placing your discus in the tank should suffice. Do you have any ideas on what strains you want to keep?

strawberryblonde
03-12-2012, 10:09 PM
Yup yup, the goldfish were the "other thing" that I noticed and didn't mention earlier Steve. I know what it's like to be gifted with fish along with a tank and then there you are, no place to put them!

I had Platy's in my tank when I purchased my discus and didn't even have a tank for them to go to by the time my new fish from Hans arrived. In preparation I just gave them a good cleaning out with some prazi and then metro a couple of weeks later...then cleaned the tank super well and changed out the gravel.

Didn't have any problems, even though it made me nervous to be tossing my expensive new discus into a tank with platy's.

Steve_B
03-12-2012, 10:41 PM
You may be fine Steve if the goldfish are healthy. I just mentioned it as it is always good to qt. any fish you plan on keeping with your discus. I think just removing them well ahead of placing your discus in the tank should suffice. Do you have any ideas on what strains you want to keep?

I will make sure to leave at least a months time of empty tank before I add them in, as for strains...I like them all!!! But the breeder close to me only has blue lines, his altum flora's look very nice, obviously if I order from canadianaquafarm.com it opens up a lot more options for me, but the local breeder has quality fish and the prices are very reasonable...decisions!!

Teshi
03-13-2012, 10:38 AM
Hi Steve, I have a Eheim Jagers heater in my 55gal tank. Make sure you have a thermometer. The first one I purchased was faulty. The setting did not match the water temp. and I lost 4 fish partly due to this fact. My LFS replaced the heater with the same thing and the new one is working just great. They claim they've never had any complaints or issues with this heater. I noticed they use it in their tanks too. Just my experience.

Steve_B
03-27-2012, 08:35 PM
Hey all,

Quick update, picked up a couple eheim jäger 250W, only using 1 so far and it is heating no problem, keeping the second one for backup. The tank is almost done cycling now, ammonia is at 0 nitrites are just below 1 and nitrates are around 3. I have been searching for some local stock but no luck yet, will probably end up ordering from Canadian aqua farm once everything is settled and ready.