PDA

View Full Version : Almost Electrocuted My Fish & Cloudy Water !!!

vizkid2005
03-13-2012, 06:40 AM
Hey Guys ...
You can see my tank Here (http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?92929-My-tank-is-now-READY-!!!!)
Check out page 3 for the tank before cloudiness ...

I've been Experiencing cloudy water in my tank for about a week now ... And for that I've been doing daily 80% WC`s and haven't experienced any visible changes ...
The Cloudiness is due to a bio media reset that might have happened on my last tank maintenance .
Also Yesterday .. I after I removed 80% water from my tank .. and plugged in the air pump to check the tubing and pressure .. but during that I realized that the plug for the heater was also in the same multi plug !!!!

There was no water and The heater was on ... I started to hear some cracking noise and thought it was due to the pump and kept busy with that ... Then when the water level rose to just touch the Heater .. The glass cracked with a sharp sound .. I was just in time to switch it off !!! Thank GOD !!!

The glass pieces fell to the bottom of the tank .. I was worried about my fish so much . I took out the pieces one by one . And siphoned out the smaller bits ..

Now my filter, air pump and all is running .. But I have no heater in my tank.

MORAL : Always turn Off Heater before tank maintenance !!!

brewmaster15
03-13-2012, 07:18 AM
I can't tell you how many times I have broken heaters! The Moral may be to always turn them off when doing maintenance, but theres a part 2... always have a spare heater! :)
-al

joanstone
03-13-2012, 07:24 AM
I'm with you Al. I imagine every fish person's done it at least once, more likely more than once. Good reminder to have extra heaters. I was going to order one that I need today, I'm going to make it two!

vizkid2005
03-13-2012, 09:45 AM
Please suggest how many watt heater should I get for my 70 gallon ??

tonytheboss1
03-13-2012, 11:22 AM
Please suggest how many watt heater should I get for my 70 gallon ??

:bandana: Most figure it out to about 5w per gallon. 200w heater ought to do you fine. Now some are prone to split that to (2) 100w for safety & redundancy. Choice of heater?? OK here we go. The choices are endless but please STAY AWAY FROM CHEAPOS!!! Spend a little extra for a 'quality' unit. Aqueo Pro & Eheim Jager are two that readily come to mind. Some other members will probably have some other picks for favorites. None of them last forever but some are made, featured & warrantied better than others. BTW my choice is a titanium / heater controller setup by JEHMCO. "T"

John_Nicholson
03-13-2012, 11:25 AM
I have had heaters that leaked and filled with water. Never hurt the fish...did tingle my arm a little bit, but all in all it has never been too bad.

-john

vizkid2005
03-13-2012, 11:27 AM
Guess I have to make a trip to my LFS .
Will Have to check the brands available.

Are there any heaters which shut off automatically when there is no water around it ???

1Chuck9669
03-13-2012, 11:41 AM
"I'm with you Al. I imagine every fish person's done it at least once, more likely more than once. Good reminder to have extra heaters. I was going to order one that I need today, I'm going to make it two!"

+1

tonytheboss1
03-13-2012, 11:47 AM
Are there any heaters which shut off automatically when there is no water around it ???

Product Details
"The Aqueon Pro Heaters are accurate, reliable, durable, and easy to use. They are constructed using a shatterproof and nearly indestructible outer shell (no breakable glass components), and feature a durable aluminum core for strength and even heat distribution. Fully submersible, they can be placed vertically or horizontally in your aquarium, and come equipped with a large temperature control knob for quick and easy temperature modifications. A power monitor light glows red when actively heating, and green when the aquarium has reached the set temperature. The Aqueon Pro Heaters include an electronic thermostat for accurate temperature settings and safety. The heaters will automatically turn off if left out of water, and will reset and continue to function normally when reintroduced to your aquarium water. These safe and technologically advanced heaters are suitable for both freshwater and marine systems, and come with a limited lifetime warranty from the manufacturer. Includes mounting suction cups. Accurate to +/- 1 degree F. 200 watt model is suitable for aquariums up to 75 gallons" "T"

shoveltrash
03-13-2012, 11:48 AM
hey, at least your fish are ok! have you check for ammonia levels re cloudiness? or nitrite/nitrates?
I think there are products you can add to your water that can help neutralize ammonia....not sure about nitrite/nitrates.

I've got 2 heaters in each of my tanks, just in case I have a failure. plus I have back ups ;) (two 300W in my 65g)
I unplug mine for water changes in my 40g Angelfish tank.......problem is I forget to plug them back in :(. so far I haven't killed them! they've survived temp drops overnight -DUH!!!!

shoveltrash
03-13-2012, 11:50 AM
ps - I have two of those Aqueon pros - but I have them laying flat on the bottom of my 65......so don't really utilize that auto turn-off.

Mep1127
03-13-2012, 12:03 PM
you need an eheim jager... those are the best heaters ive ever owned. ive always used heaters that come with starter kits but they suck after years. my last kit came with an aqueon and it did heat well but it made a popping sound when it was heating up. the eheim is well built. ive changed my water several times and forgot to unplug my heater as I filled my tank with water the eheim. it never popped although it did sizzle. they are shatter proof double insulated glass.. like pyrex or something. they are reliable and "mistake" proof IME

vizkid2005
03-13-2012, 01:42 PM
hey, at least your fish are ok! have you check for ammonia levels re cloudiness? or nitrite/nitrates?
I think there are products you can add to your water that can help neutralize ammonia....not sure about nitrite/nitrates.

I've got 2 heaters in each of my tanks, just in case I have a failure. plus I have back ups ;) (two 300W in my 65g)
I unplug mine for water changes in my 40g Angelfish tank.......problem is I forget to plug them back in :(. so far I haven't killed them! they've survived temp drops overnight -DUH!!!!

Thank God they are OK !!!
Pheeww .. That was close ...
I don'`t have a Water test kit .. I am going to buy one soon ..
Which are the parameters I should Look the Test kit must have, Ph,Nitrates,Nitrites ??

Also I will have to check with my LFS as to what brand is available and for how much ...

I read on SD site that the cloudiness goes away on its own after the bio filter sets up again but it takes time .. How much Exactly ?? I've been waiting for a week now ..

Thanks Guys ...

brady
03-13-2012, 03:02 PM
Your fish are not in danger of being electrocuted because they are not grounded. BUT, the same can't be said for you if you put your hand in there before unplugging it. Also, every fish room should have a GFI.
Jay

April
03-13-2012, 05:19 PM
The fish won't get electrocuted..just you. Lol. Only way they would is if they has one fin on the floor and one in the water.
Same as birds who sit on electrical lines. If they had one foot on the wire and one elsewhere..then sizzle...
I also have cracked many glass heaters. Especially those marine land glass ones. They should have a pic of April with a big cross over my face on the box!

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?nh31dv

zimmjeff
03-13-2012, 05:26 PM
I can't believe that I just did it. I had just read this topic and I cracked one by leaving it on. The tank is right next to the computer and plugged into the same outlet.

Orange Crush
03-13-2012, 06:42 PM
I use the Aqueon Pro, I love them but I have found it heats the water 1-2 degrees cooler than what it says. The other drawback with them is that if you need to do heat treatments it will not get hot enough so I also own a Jager should I ever need to do that.
I keep my heaters laying flat on the bottom of the tank so I can remove 95% of the water and have no problems with them breaking. Heaters work more effeciently if they are horizontal, plus heat rises. Suction cups are unnecessary and I have read about discus getting burned when they get trapped behind a heater that cannot be moved.

Orange Crush
03-13-2012, 06:54 PM
Which are the parameters I should Look the Test kit must have, Ph,Nitrates,Nitrites ??

Also I will have to check with my LFS as to what brand is available and for how much ...

I read on SD site that the cloudiness goes away on its own after the bio filter sets up again but it takes time .. How much Exactly ?? I've been waiting for a week now.
pH should not fluctuate from when it comes out of the tap to 24 hours later with aeration (in tank or storage bucket). Consistancy is what matters there.
NitrItes and ammonia must be 0, nitrAtes should be <5
Do not buy test strips, they are not accurate IME.
If you have cloudiness then your tank might be starting the N cycle over again. Make sure you always use dechlor before water goes into the tank, if you use a "python" put dechlor into tank 1st (ammount should be for entire gal of tank not what % of water is being replaced). Make sure your filter is turned off then fill tank. I then wait a few minutes after I am done filling the tank before turning the filter back on to make sure all of the water has been dechlorinated before it goes through my filter (dont want to kill the BB).

eaglesfan3000
03-13-2012, 08:04 PM
Yup been there done that. Ehiem is the way to go.

tonytheboss1
03-13-2012, 09:01 PM

:bandana: Basic API freshwater test kit is the way to go for sure. Cheaper if u buy online but chk cause some LFS pricematch! Either way the investment pays dividends 100 fold. "T"

vizkid2005
03-14-2012, 05:43 AM
I can't believe that I just did it. I had just read this topic and I cracked one by leaving it on. The tank is right next to the computer and plugged into the same outlet.

IRONY !!!

I use the Aqueon Pro, I love them but I have found it heats the water 1-2 degrees cooler than what it says. The other drawback with them is that if you need to do heat treatments it will not get hot enough so I also own a Jager should I ever need to do that.
I keep my heaters laying flat on the bottom of the tank so I can remove 95% of the water and have no problems with them breaking. Heaters work more effeciently if they are horizontal, plus heat rises. Suction cups are unnecessary and I have read about discus getting burned when they get trapped behind a heater that cannot be moved.

My Tank is 4 feet tall .. There's no way the power cord will suffice for the tank height.

:bandana: Basic API freshwater test kit is the way to go for sure. Cheaper if u buy online but chk cause some LFS pricematch! Either way the investment pays dividends 100 fold. "T"

I checked with a company nearby that manufactures products for swimming pools .
They offer test kits for each chemical separately ..
Like for
Nitrate/Nitrites : $13
Ph : $13
Carbonate : $13
and so on ....

Is it a good deal ??
They also offer a digital TDS meter for $22 ..

Please do comment ..

vizkid2005
03-14-2012, 11:03 AM
http://img254.imageshack.us/img254/8725/16276968.jpg

qiyanfeng
03-14-2012, 11:14 AM
Get a Eheim Jaguar heater. It has auto shut off when water falls. I did 70% WC everyday. The heater totally expose to air before I put in new water. It works just fine.

DiscusBR
03-14-2012, 12:49 PM
There is an easy way to prevent these accidents. Put your heaters in horizontal position near the substrate. Then you donīt need to worry with them during water changes. I have two heaters in my 80g tank that I never need to switch off:

http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee482/DiscusBR/Nov2011/DSC01262.jpg

tonytheboss1
03-14-2012, 12:50 PM
Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Aquarian Freshwater Master Test Kit will run you http://www.amazon.com/API-FRESHWATER-MASTER-TEST-KIT/dp/B000255NCI

Freshwater Master Test Kit is a complete kit for testing tap water & aquarium water.Tests water 6 different ways to protect tropical fish from dangerous water conditions.Tests include: freshwater pH, ammonia, nitrite, high range pH, GH & KH, 4 test tubes, tray & instructions. "T"

vizkid2005
03-14-2012, 01:22 PM
There is an easy way to prevent these accidents. Put your heaters in horizontal position near the substrate. Then you donīt need to worry with them during water changes. I have two heaters in my 80g tank that I never need to switch off:

Awesome Tank Bro !!! Love the Setup !!!

Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Aquarian Freshwater Master Test Kit will run you http://www.amazon.com/API-FRESHWATER-MASTER-TEST-KIT/dp/B000255NCI

Freshwater Master Test Kit is a complete kit for testing tap water & aquarium water.Tests water 6 different ways to protect tropical fish from dangerous water conditions.Tests include: freshwater pH, ammonia, nitrite, high range pH, GH & KH, 4 test tubes, tray & instructions. "T"

Dude I`m located in India .. No Way I can order this from amazon.
Also I am getting separate test kits for each chemical nitrate,ph, carbonate and etc .
Which are the most essential ones I MUST get ???

Orange Crush
03-14-2012, 07:41 PM
NitrAte, nitrIte, ammonia and pH are the ones you NEED.

tonytheboss1
03-14-2012, 08:00 PM
:bandana: http://astore.amazon.com/indiashop-20/search?node=169&keywords=API+test+kit+&preview=&x=12&y=12 hope this helps. "T"

1Chuck9669
03-14-2012, 08:10 PM

+1

vizkid2005
03-16-2012, 06:22 AM
http://img403.imageshack.us/img403/3191/dsc00773ff.jpg

Hey Guys .. Finally The Tank Water is clear now ..
Thanks for the help guys ..
I`ll update this thread when I get the heater and test kit ..
Thanks Guys ...

Orange Crush
03-16-2012, 09:53 AM
So how was the cloudy water issue resolved? Was it caused by a bacterial bloom? If so then test your water for nitrItes and ammonia daily because those will start rising when your tank is not cycled. If that is the case then you will have to be doing lots of big water changes to keep the #s low enough to not kill your fish.

vizkid2005
03-17-2012, 08:05 AM
It got solved automatically .. The bacteria must have started acting in the filter .
Will Keep You guys updated .
And I still have to buy a test kit , I`ll post results soon .

Thanks ..

shoveltrash
03-18-2012, 05:25 AM
tank & fish look good :)

vizkid2005
03-18-2012, 07:58 AM
tank & fish look good :)

Thanks bro .. :)