PDA

View Full Version : FISH GENERATIONS??

tonytheboss1
03-13-2012, 08:09 PM
:bandana: Hi again. Still reading & researching so started a new post for this. Should I be concerned w/ F# classification w/ my upcoming purchase (F0, F1,F2) or is that mostly for breeding purposes? I don't want to over complicate this thing but an advertisement made me wonder. http://www.macsdiscus.com/Bold-Red-Universe-Discus.html or http://www.macsdiscus.com/First-of-the-Universe-Discus.html. Any acquisition for me at this point (newbie) will most likely be tankbred so F0 is out but is there a benifit to any of the others or does it really matter only for breeders / sales. "T"

tonytheboss1
03-13-2012, 10:01 PM
:bandana: Anybody ?? Mods? "T"

tonytheboss1
03-14-2012, 01:06 PM
:bandana: Jeeze!!! Did I stump the board or touch on a taboo subject ?? "T"

judy
03-14-2012, 01:13 PM
No to both. Doesn't matter.

tonytheboss1
03-14-2012, 08:16 PM
:bandana: Judy, thanx so much for the cmback. I was beginning to think I asked a bad question! "T"

Skip
03-15-2012, 12:47 AM
its not F0...
its P1 F1 F2 etc..

P1 stands for parent generation

F1 stands for first filial generation

F2 stands for second filial generation

this is all PEDIGREE stuff

Discus Origins
03-15-2012, 12:55 AM
Any domestic bred will not be F0, that's usually only associated with wild fish.

tonytheboss1
03-15-2012, 06:00 PM
Any domestic bred will not be F0, that's usually only associated with wild fish.

:bandana: Yep, kinda got that much first off but thanx Mark. ("Any acquisition for me at this point (newbie) will most likely be tankbred so F0 is out") Mostly I just wanted to know if it mattered as far as quality of purchase. Breeding for profit or experiment is way above my 'pay grade' right now. I just want good healthy discus! Thanx Warlock.

F0=wild caught
F1=offspring of F0
F2=offspring of F1
Tank Raised=offspring of F2 or higher

Came across this article & it helped me a bit :

March 15, 2012

Cichlid Breeding Terminology

by D. Jones (aka Number6)

Cichlid husbandry is the process of caring for and breeding the same species of cichlid to produce viable fry for one or more generations. The terminology for cichlid breeding has its roots in Genetic terminology but has evolved or been modified to convey a certain state of the genotype of a fish (Genotype is the genetic makeup of an individual). Cichlid breeders usually wish to begin with a male and female without genetic abnormalities in their genotype so they opt for wild caught specimens. This attempts to select quality parental stock. The appearance of the fish (phenotype) can be used to guess at the genotype quality, but this is just a guess. Fish that have been obtained from their natural habitats are labeled as wild caught (WC) or sometimes a manufactured term, F0 is used to differentiate for any fish �wild caught� from the wild in say Florida or a similar environment other than the fishes natural habitats. The F stands for Filial (genetic sibling) and the zero denotes no relation. This is an assumption, and genetically speaking these fish may not have significantly different genotypes. This is the first deviation from true genetic terms. In genetic terminology, the parents are labeled with a P. According to genetic terminology, to have parental stock from known separate genotypes one should have two separate collection sites or two different variants. However, this is not a goal of good cichlid husbandry.

From a WC or F0, parental stock, fry from the crossing would be labeled as Filial generation (F1). The number following the F denotes the different generations involved in breeding. F1 is the first filial or filial-one generation. This identifies the offspring as the progeny after mating or genetically crossing two types of parents with different genotypes or phenotypes (the parents are known as the P generation). F2 is the second filial or filial-two generation, i.e. the progeny of self-fertile or intercrossing F1 individuals and so on. Members of this generation are two generations removed from the original parent generation. F2 individuals have been in bred one time.

In cichlid husbandry, any generation beyond F3 is often called tank raised to denote the likelihood of genetic similarity to other specimens that may be obtained from hobby breeders in the area. For example, 50 fry forms 25 pairs that in a single generation could produce 1250 new fish. The likelihood of obtaining siblings increases with each generation.