PDA

View Full Version : Why My Discus fishes are always hiding

minajaguar
03-14-2012, 07:32 AM
Why my Discus fishes are always hiding except one of them. They was ill by ich and cured 4 days ago .. is that affect??? and i'am still putting traces of salt to kill the rest of the parasites.
( ammonia=0 nitrite=0 nitrate= 0 - 10 ph=7 temp.=30-31) 35 gallon planted tank
Just changed the decoration and put new driftwood.
my water is turning to pale yellow (its ok for me to have a yellowish water and want it to make my water acidic) ... what to do ????
hiding most of the time .... but from time to time they going out from hiding and play but this don't last long ... tank mates are tetras .. they are fine together
... ... thats all but some note else , there is one of them make some violence behavior towards them from time to time .. but i don't think that is the problem bec. it hides with them and when play it plays with them .. and one of them too didn't hide but play freely and eat well .. i think that the problem may be because of change of environment by ph change due to driftwood tannins ... may be ????

Skip
03-14-2012, 07:46 AM
how many times per week do you do water change?

how much percent do you drain from tank when you do water change?

how long have you had them?

how many do you have?

how big are they?

minajaguar
03-14-2012, 07:52 AM
- twice / week and 25 % each
- 4 weeks ago
- 4 of them each 5 -10 cm

TURQ64
03-14-2012, 08:03 AM
If you actually have 'zero nitrates' your tank isn't cycled yet. The wc isn't enough water or frequency. Should be twice that or more daily. I use plenty of driftwood, and I doubt that it is a problem. See how they do after a better wc regimen

minajaguar
03-14-2012, 08:05 AM
its cycled nitrate 0- 10 mg/l because i have lot of plants and my nitrite don't exceeds 10 and if the problem in water change why is one of them doing good and eating well ...

TURQ64
03-14-2012, 08:28 AM
Someone else will have to chime in, as I'm giving up arguing wc's.NitrItes should always read zero It's a daily part of raising Discus, and some fish have stronger immune systems, etc. than others. Your tank is too small, also, but that's another story. Good luck, Gary

ockyra215
03-14-2012, 08:33 AM
I would do at least 50 percent water changes a day. Clean water is the Key!!!!!!

vizkid2005
03-14-2012, 08:51 AM
Why my Discus fishes are always hiding except one of them. They was ill by ich and cured 4 days ago .. is that affect??? and i'am still putting traces of salt to kill the rest of the parasites.
( ammonia=0 nitrite=0 nitrate= 0 - 10 ph=7 temp.=30-31) 35 gallon planted tank
Just changed the decoration and put new driftwood.
my water is turning to pale yellow (its ok for me to have a yellowish water and want it to make my water acidic) ... what to do ????
hiding most of the time .... but from time to time they going out from hiding and play but this don't last long ... tank mates are tetras .. they are fine together
... ... thats all but some note else , there is one of them make some violence behavior towards them from time to time .. but i don't think that is the problem bec. it hides with them and when play it plays with them .. and one of them too didn't hide but play freely and eat well .. i think that the problem may be because of change of environment by ph change due to driftwood tannins ... may be ????

Hi
It`s totally Natural for your fish to get scared and hide when you introduce new decoration into your tank.
My discus were also scared to death when I introduced a new driftwood chunk.
It`s temporary problem and they will find their way around soon . Don't worry .
You can imagine your self with an alien object in the middle of your house. Even You would be hesitant to go near it in fear that it will explode or melt or whatever you can imagine .. :p

You can Check my thread here (http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?92929-My-tank-is-now-READY-!!!!&highlight=)

Don't worry, be Happy ...

Jeapa
03-14-2012, 08:51 AM
Why don't you just try Gary's advice for a week and see if your discus make a positive change. What have you got to lose? Daily water changes are just part of keeping discus healthy and happy. I bet you would be surprised at how a 50-75% daily water change would effect your discus behavior.

Try it. Good luck.

John_Nicholson
03-14-2012, 08:58 AM
The problem is the water. With discus the problem is almost always the water. If you want to ignore the advise go ahead and 3 months from now you will be one of the people that thinks discus are weak fish that always die. Read the advice given here and start your young discus out in a bare bottom tank with daily water changes and you will be hooked for life.

-john

Skip
03-14-2012, 09:08 AM
its cycled nitrate 0- 10 mg/l because i have lot of plants and my nitrite don't exceeds 10 and if the problem in water change why is one of them doing good and eating well ...

well, for sure first thing to do.. up the water changes to daily.. at least 50% .. that should help

HOWEVER..

you only have 4, so they could be more insecure in a group that small.. they are more happy in groups of at least 6..

so based upon the few details you gave, there are no pics, only what you describe..

WATER CHANGE daily.. and report updates..

this is first step to getting the solution you seek..

now carry on.. ;)

ajvdiscus
03-14-2012, 09:08 AM
Some times discus could go days without eating ,, adults could last up to 3 weeks ... if your parameters are ok, then try boiling a cloev of garlic and then soock some food in the water for a couple of min and feed them..

Skip
03-14-2012, 09:11 AM
Some times discus could go days without eating ,, adults could last up to 3 weeks ... if your parameters are ok, then try boiling a cloev of garlic and then soock some food in the water for a couple of min and feed them..

did you mean SOAK some food in the water the garlic was boiled in?!

minajaguar
03-14-2012, 09:12 AM
thanks for all for your cool advices

Skip
03-14-2012, 09:13 AM
thanks for all for your cool advices

you are not the first to deal with this issue nor will you be the last.. BUT Water Changes is ALWAYS the first place to start.. EVERY TIME

SeaDragon
03-14-2012, 09:29 AM
you are not the first to deal with this issue nor will you be the last.. BUT Water Changes is ALWAYS the first place to start.. EVERY TIME

That should be a sticky, "before posting any help questions, try doing water changes"

Sent from my Styrofoam fish box fort using Tapatalk

minajaguar
03-14-2012, 09:37 AM
i have something else to say .. can i judge a tank before a month has left ... cause my tank is started 20 of Feb .. ( 3 weeks ago ) but cause i added live bacteria so it fasts the cycling process .... what do u think ???

Skip
03-14-2012, 09:40 AM
i have something else to say .. can i judge a tank before a month has left ... cause my tank is started 20 of Feb .. ( 3 weeks ago ) but cause i added live bacteria so it fasts the cycling process .... what do u think ???

i think you should do your water change right now.. thats what i think :)
:)

minajaguar
03-14-2012, 09:42 AM
when i do a water change they really start to play but for maximum an hour and then return back to their hiding state ...

Skip
03-14-2012, 09:45 AM
when i do a water change they really start to play but for maximum an hour and then return back to their hiding state ...

hmmmm maybe the fish are trying to tell you what they like!!

JenTN
03-14-2012, 09:54 AM
Seriously, do a WC!!! I've only had mine two months and one has just about tripled in size, got it stunted from a lfs. I can already tell when I slacked off from daily wc and missed two days in a row, they all turned dark and HID around the filter. Normally they are all out and about like clowns. Try the water changes, they love them some clean water :-)

Mep1127
03-14-2012, 10:09 AM

aside the recommended water changes ( i do a 80% then a 50% daily ) the live bacteria that you add isnt always a sure thing. I had issues with my water sometime back and i thought i wouldnt have problems because i added live bacteria. I had ammonia problems for a bit. Now that my tank has been running for about 3 months the cycling is just finishing. Only thing that i have a problem is nitrite... but that is to be expected, as when everything else in your water parameters is zero but the nitrites that is a sign that the cycling of the tank is beginning to finish. Just do those water changes it really is key... and also a group of at least six makes discus more active and social. The more the merrier :p