PDA

View Full Version : Python question

Teshi
03-14-2012, 10:30 AM
I posted this on AA but ment to post it here.

I got my python and LOVE LOVE LOVE it. But I'm having an issue. Ever since I got it I've been getting ammonia .25-.50 I've been doing daily H2O changes, even sometimes 2x a day. Here's the issue. Ever since I've been using it I get no nitrates, just ammonia. Could I have killed all my BB?

Here.s how I've been using it. I hook it all up and turn on the cold water and get the siphon going. After it gets going I unhook it from the faucet and just let it drain out into my tub until between 30-50% of my water is drained (discus tank). Then I hook it back up to my faucet and get the H20 temp right. I add my dechlorinator to the tank and then fill the tank back up.

PAR23
03-14-2012, 10:42 AM
Have you check your tap water for ammonia and how long have your tank been running?

Teshi
03-14-2012, 10:50 AM
Yeah my tap water is clear of ammonia. Its been up since just after Christmas. I did have Nitrates before I added my fish. Then the first 4 died due partially to a faulty heater and stress and bad fish from LFS ( i know i know Hans or Kenny). But then I got 3 new fish, was using buckets and decided a python was the way to go. Now no nitrates and just ammonia.

PAR23
03-14-2012, 10:56 AM
Are you reading any nitrities?

Teshi
03-14-2012, 11:02 AM
No just ammonia =(

PAR23
03-14-2012, 11:07 AM
For some reason, your tank is going through the cycling process again. I use a python without any issues.

What kind of filter are you using and do you also keep a sponge filter in the tank?

Teshi
03-14-2012, 11:16 AM
I added a sponge to the tank about 10 days ago to get one going for a QT. I have a Penguin 350 with 2 filters and a cartriage of Seachem Matrix in it.

PAR23
03-14-2012, 11:27 AM
Well your sponge filter is too immature so that's out. I'm not sure why your tank is recycling but just keep up with WCs until the bio reestablishes itself and water conditioner. Don't clean your bio filter or sponge for now. Keep ammonia below 0.25

zimmjeff
03-14-2012, 11:42 AM
I have been using the same one for 18 years and have never had a problem. must be something else.

aalbina
03-14-2012, 12:13 PM
........ I add my dechlorinator to the tank and then fill the tank back up.

What are you using as a dechlorinator and what are you using to measure ammonia?

Adam

applekrate
03-14-2012, 03:51 PM
I do think the Python was the way to go. In some cases "Prime " like de-chlorinators will give a false "Positive" with some testing kits. Your ammonia wont be related to the python itself because many people use them with no problem.
Since all your other readings are good I would rule out the de-chlorinator and testing procedures as a problem and work from there.
Here's a link to the "Prime" product support page. I would look at question #2.

http://www.seachem.com/support/FAQs/Prime.html

Also here’s an unrelated thread that has a brief discussion on post 18, 20 and 21 that I found interesting about the “prime” like products, testing and how it works.
http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?92075-White-POOOooooooo!&highlight=white+poop

On filling your tank - I was also told by one de-chlorinator company that when you add water directly to the tank you need to dose 1/2 the total amount of de-chlorinator you plan to add in the beginning and the other 1/2 mid way through the refill.

Orange Crush
03-14-2012, 08:17 PM
When you add your decholr are you adding for the total volume of the tank or just the amount of water being replaced?
For example if you have a 100 gal tank but are doing a 25 % water change you should add enough decholr for 100 gal not 25 gal.

Teshi
03-14-2012, 08:38 PM
What are you using as a dechlorinator and what are you using to measure ammonia?

Adam

I use the API test. For the de-chlorinator I'm using Nutrafin Aqua Plus. I'm following the directions for 10ml/10gal. I shake the bottle well before using.

But now my tank needs to cycle again and with fish in it. I didn't want to do that to my fish. I really don't have the option of bringing the fish back to a LFS.

Teshi
03-14-2012, 08:39 PM
When you add your decholr are you adding for the total volume of the tank or just the amount of water being replaced?
For example if you have a 100 gal tank but are doing a 25 % water change you should add enough decholr for 100 gal not 25 gal.

Yes I am adding enough for the total 55gal tank.

Teshi
03-14-2012, 08:45 PM
Also here’s an unrelated thread that has a brief discussion on post 19, 20 and 21 that I found interesting about the “prime” like products, testing and how it works.
http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...ght=white+poop

On filling your tank - I was also told by one de-chlorinator company that when you add water directly to the tank you need to dose 1/2 the total amount of de-chlorinator you plan to add in the beginning and the other 1/2 mid way through the refill.

The link shows as a 404 error to me =(

1Chuck9669
03-14-2012, 08:49 PM
Time to get an aging barrel.

Teshi
03-14-2012, 08:50 PM
I am very happy to know for certain it isn't the Python or how I'm using it. I've ordered some "Prime" hoping that switching dechlorinator will help.

Orange Crush
03-14-2012, 08:51 PM
But now my tank needs to cycle again and with fish in it. I didn't want to do that to my fish. I really don't have the option of bringing the fish back to a LFS.
Just do a minimum of 75% wc per day and test for ammonia and nitItes daily. If the ammonia goes over .25 do another big water change if any nitrItes appear do another big water change. You can also use Seachem's Safe or Prime to detox ammonia and nitrItes.
If your tap water has chloramines most dechlor convert that to ammonia but Safe and Prime detox that ammonia as well. I do not know if Aqua Plus does that or not but I would look into it.

Teshi
03-14-2012, 08:52 PM
I really wouldn't mind using an aging barrel but I'm not fond of using buckets =/

Orange Crush
03-14-2012, 08:52 PM
Okay so it was not just me!

Orange Crush
03-14-2012, 08:54 PM
I really wouldn't mind using an aging barrel but I'm not fond of using buckets =/
You can use a submersable pump and hose to pump the aged water into the tank. No buckets needed. I think you should be fine with the python though. Not sure why you are cycling again but I doubt it has to do with using a python. Aging the water never hurts though!

Teshi
03-14-2012, 08:55 PM
Thanks OC. I appreciate all the help everyone has given.

What kind of pump would I use?

1Chuck9669
03-14-2012, 08:56 PM

My barrel is a 55g hard plastic barrel set up right next to my tank. I fill it, add Prime, heat and areate for a minimum of 24 hrs. After I clean my tank with my Python, I refill straight from the aging barrel using a submersible pump with an attached hose. I then refill the barrel, add Prime, heat and areate for a minimum of 24 hours. Rinse and repeat, lol. With that said, off to do another water change.

Have a great night,

applekrate
03-14-2012, 09:25 PM

Sorry about that I recopied and pasted the link. Hope it works now.

Teshi
03-14-2012, 09:29 PM
Thanks Applekrate, I'm not using prime but I've ordered some today.
I'm also thinking of removing my subtrate and going with a bare bottom seeings how I'm cycling again =(

Will nitrates show doing water changes daily?

Chicago Discus
03-14-2012, 09:31 PM
Teshi their is a product called cycle it really helps when your tank is going through a cycle but make sure that it's not outdated. What I do is double the recommended dose first day second day regular dose third day half dose...........Josie

applekrate
03-14-2012, 10:30 PM
The prime comes highly recommended by SD members. The one thing I have read somewhere is dont get de-chlorinators with Aloe because it gums up the filter or something like that. If another member knows about this maybe they will chime in.
On the nitrates I don't know what the norm is but my numbers are always zero. I don't test everyday though.

steelbreeze1
03-15-2012, 12:41 AM
API test kits have an expiration date. I doubt your getting false positives, just saying. Btw you can't go wrong with any of the Seachem products.

Teshi
03-16-2012, 09:30 PM
I am surprised at how little of the Prime you actually use. I'm glad I'm a nurse and got my hands on some 6cc syringes =)

aalbina
03-17-2012, 07:58 AM
If you go with Prime as a water treatment, you will have to change the way you test for ammonia. Prime will change ammonia to to ammonium and your API test kit will give you a false reading. Seachem make a small ammonia indicator disc that you can stick on the inside of the tank and it will read the bad ammonia level for you 24x7.

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=seachem+ammonia+monitor&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&client=safari&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=4790716457180565768&sa=X&ei=FnxkT9XrJKTx0gHXj82HCA&ved=0CCYQ8gIwAQ

Adam

I am very happy to know for certain it isn't the Python or how I'm using it. I've ordered some "Prime" hoping that switching dechlorinator will help.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

neon
03-17-2012, 06:32 PM
How do you regulate the temp of the water when you use your python?

1Chuck9669
03-17-2012, 08:04 PM

I use an aging barrel with a heater set to 85 degrees. Before the aging barrel, I had to adjust my water temp at the tap. HTH!

Have a great night,

Orange Crush
03-17-2012, 09:09 PM
I hold a thermometer under the running water until it gets to the right temp and stays there for a minute or so (to make sure that the water will not keep getting warmer) then I fill the tank while keeping an eye on the thermometer that is in the tank so i can adjust if something happens.
When I am using the python to take water out of the tank I have the sink water on as cool as possible so I do not use up any hot water (we have a smaller sized water heater). Also, I do not allow anyone to use water when I am changing water as that can also cause my water temp to change.

strawberryblonde
03-17-2012, 10:11 PM
My python is now hooked directly to my faucet without the "regulator" in it. I found that it really wasted a lot of water and also made water removal and refills go much slower. To drain my tank I run the python hose outside and water my gardens.

For refill I run the hot water for a minute or so to make sure it's as hot as it can get, then turn it off, connect the python hose and then just flip on the hot and cold at the same time. I've gotten very used to exactly where the hot water tap needs to be in order to get close to the right temps, and then I simply run my hand under the water as it's entering the tank to be sure that it feels the same as the water in the tank. Small adjustments are all I ever need to do, but I think that's because I've been doing it for so long.

In the very beginning I used a thermometer and a coffee cup. Hold the cup under the water at the faucet, drop in the thermometer and then adjust the temps. I paid attention to where the proper hot setting was on the tap and voila...with time I gained enough confidence to just use my hand as the thermometer.

Teshi
03-19-2012, 08:23 PM
I've decided to go with a holding tank. Today was the first time I was able to do a water change using aged water. One thing I really liked about this is that the water was the correct temp and I didn't have to fuss with it at all. I still use the python to drain my tank and fill the holding barrel. By using aged water I've increased my H2O change by only 12 mins. That's how long it takes to fill my tank with the holding pump.

judy
03-20-2012, 02:42 PM
i kinda think you should switch to Prime....

Teshi
03-20-2012, 04:51 PM
i kinda think you should switch to Prime....

Oh I did. I take the advice I get here very serious. I got it last week and am surprised at how little I need to use compared to what I was using. Someone also let me know that I will get positive ammonia readings using it to.

I know this sounds silly but I kind of like doing the water changes everyday now that I have things set up for little fuss and a good routine. My fish still swim away from me anytime I go to the tank except during the water change. They like to get right up to the cleaning tube when I'm sucking up all the gunk. And when I am filling it back up they come up to the tube again to get in the water stream. Its like they are playing in the current of the incoming water. I will move the tube back and forth and they follow it. One day they wont be afraid to come eat out of my hands. I'm working on it.

eaglesfan3000
03-21-2012, 05:54 PM
I use aging barrels set my heaters to 86 add air stones that way the water is all ready for the fish the next day I get out the ole Python attached to a drinking safe hoses (use a brass female to female adapter from Home Depot) attach the hoses to a transfer pump syphon the poo drink a beer til it's 50% then fill it back up while drinking another beer. You can drain and fill your tank in no time doing huge water changes. That's how I do it anyway to each his/her own.