PDA

View Full Version : Size to breed?

SeaDragon
03-14-2012, 10:41 AM
Currently I have 5 Marlboro discus. Which they vary in their size, though the largest two seem to be claiming half the 55gal. The largest would be about 4.5inch SL. I was wondering at what size do discus start pairing up? I don't know their age, so I was hoping to learn if there is a average size.

Sent from my Styrofoam fish box fort using Tapatalk

Skip
03-14-2012, 11:00 AM
its by age.. not size..

and it will happen when it does.. :)

age wise.. i saw it start with fish about 9 months.. but was mine

SeaDragon
03-14-2012, 11:16 AM
Okay good to know, thanks.

I wish breeders had little birth certificates for their fish ;)

Skip
03-14-2012, 11:23 AM
Okay good to know, thanks.

I wish breeders had little birth certificates for their fish ;)

a good hobbyist breeder will have those records :)

andreaW
03-15-2012, 06:15 AM
a good hobbyist breeder will have those records

Agreed!:antlers:

SeaDragon
03-15-2012, 08:28 AM
Well then I guess my next question is what's the age they will pair up?

dpete9
03-15-2012, 08:30 AM
I think on average around 12 months, sometimes later.

ockyra215
03-15-2012, 09:58 AM
If you are looking to get maximum growth out of them I would try to keep them from pairing up as long as you can by using water the same tempeture as the the tank water during water changes. Also nature will let you know when they are ready !

SeaDragon
03-15-2012, 04:21 PM
If you are looking to get maximum growth out of them I would try to keep them from pairing up as long as you can by using water the same tempeture as the the tank water during water changes. Also nature will let you know when they are ready !

Good to know, didn't really thin about that effecting them at this age. Good point though.

I think on average around 12 months, sometimes later.

Thanks for the info!

nc0gnet0
03-15-2012, 05:06 PM
It's not the laying of eggs that will slow thier growth IMO its the raising of fry. and even then they still will grow, if anything it effects the females more so then the males (breeding young). I have seen discus spawn in my limited time as ealry as 7 months, while some may take upwards of 2 years. Both cases are extremes, with 1-1/2 years old being the norm. It'd hard to gauge by size alone as this is not always indicative of the age of the fish. Anything over 4.5" is might be capable of breeding.

Rick

SeaDragon
03-15-2012, 07:14 PM
It's not the laying of eggs that will slow thier growth IMO its the raising of fry. and even then they still will grow, if anything it effects the females more so then the males (breeding young). I have seen discus spawn in my limited time as ealry as 7 months, while some may take upwards of 2 years. Both cases are extremes, with 1-1/2 years old being the norm. It'd hard to gauge by size alone as this is not always indicative of the age of the fish. Anything over 4.5" is might be capable of breeding.

Rick

I imagine it is hard on them. My first goal is to raise this group to be nice, big, and heathy discus. I'd hate to stunt or harm them just because their being goofballs trying to pair up too soon. Thanks for the advice, I'll keep that in mind.