PDA

View Full Version : Is my diet a good one?

scarhbar
03-15-2012, 01:54 AM
After waterchanges and space, I think diet is something extremely important! I have not yet bought my discus, but I am trying to plan their diet out now. I would like to buy some Discus from "Discus Hans". I hear they are good quality :) The ones I would like to get are only 3.5"

I'm really not sure where to start. I can't decide what I should feed the Discus as a staple. I was thinking New Life Spectrum? Or maybe Omega 1 Cichlid Flakes? (Every day of the week)

As for some nice protein, and growth, I was thinking either Frozen Beeheart (or maybe beefheart flakes). (3 times weekly)

For some nice color, and digestive aid, I was thinking about adding some Spirulina Flakes to their diet. (3 times weekly)

As a weekly treat, I think frozen blood worms are my best bet :) (1 Day a week)

I can't really think of anything else I would need to give them, can you guys?

Discus Origins
03-15-2012, 03:17 AM
Hi there,

To properly grow out juvenile discus 3.5" to full potential you need to feed 3-4 times a day. So in reality you can do exactly what you plan in your post and feed all those options in one day, repeat every day after :)

scarhbar
03-16-2012, 02:10 AM
Hi there,

To properly grow out juvenile discus 3.5" to full potential you need to feed 3-4 times a day. So in reality you can do exactly what you plan in your post and feed all those options in one day, repeat every day after :)

oh ya? i actually didn't even think of that! duh! haha :) Would you reccomend skipping a day to feed frozen bloodworms in 1 meal?

scarhbar
03-16-2012, 02:11 AM
Hi there,

like on sundays, i skip all the regular food and only feed them a cube of frozen bloodworms once?

Melissa
03-16-2012, 05:56 AM
Frozen bloodworms hold very little nutritional value as I understand it. What would be the purpose of changing their diet one day a week?

Discus Origins
03-16-2012, 07:35 AM
Bloodworms is more of a treat than a staple. I wouldn't stop feeding other foods just to do bloodworms one day. You can just give them a cube as last meal of day if you want along with the other flakes.

zimmjeff
03-16-2012, 09:22 AM
beefheart is very messy plan on alot of water changes.