PDA

View Full Version : long time keeper first time discer

peppers
03-15-2012, 03:56 PM
So I have had fresh and salt for almost 25 years. I'm moving into a new house and the wife is letting me go all out with a in wall 240gallon. I have kept just about everything but discus. I'll be trolling the stickies but any help is apriciated. I plan on using river rock for substrate, a fx5 filter, led lighting, and some not need a whole lot live plants mixed with fake. I also have a rodi water system being put in

moon_knight1971
03-15-2012, 04:05 PM
Sounds like your're ready! The secret with discus is the water. Keep it clean and change it often and you should be ok. Best of luck!

Joey!

discuspaul
03-16-2012, 09:59 PM
25 years of salt & fresh water experience - so you know what you're doing.
Great. A 240 gal tank is fabulous - you can do whatever you want with it.
Discus - If the budget allows, get the best you can find, from the best source - get large 5" ' ers or more, adult or near adult fish, and just do it ! Keep it simple, and it'll work.

shoveltrash
03-17-2012, 06:38 AM
oh I'm so jealous!!!! a 240? wow.
welcome to the forum :D

highly recommend researching SD sponsors for Discus purchasing! and yes, start with adults/sub adults.

SeaDragon
03-17-2012, 10:31 PM
Welcome to simply! Good luck with your discus! Just remember lots of water changes and get high quality discus.

Sent from my Styrofoam fish box fort using Tapatalk

peppers
03-18-2012, 09:50 AM
Any recomendations for very easy care plants. I'm coming off of some reef tanks and prefer the least amount of work this time around

lipadj46
03-18-2012, 09:53 AM
Any recomendations for very easy care plants. I'm coming off of some reef tanks and prefer the least amount of work this time around

anubias, java verns, java moss, water sprite, water wisteria are all easy. Frogbit and dwarf water lettuce are nice floaters.

shoveltrash
03-18-2012, 10:38 AM
'Faux plants' - for least amt of work :D

SeaDragon
03-18-2012, 11:42 AM
'Faux plants' - for least amt of work :D

Fake the tank! Though I have a few anubias just bc they seem to thrive without much work.

Julia

shoveltrash
03-18-2012, 01:50 PM
I have some silk swords that are awesome - I can take them out while cleaning the tank, rinse them, etc. LOL
(and they actually look good!)

SeaDragon
03-18-2012, 02:27 PM
I have some silk swords that are awesome - I can take them out while cleaning the tank, rinse them, etc. LOL
(and they actually look good!)

Lucky! I loved having my silk sword plants too! But I found mine didn't last too long before the edges started unraveling and sending strings everywhere. That was in a community tank I have without discus.

Julia