PDA

View Full Version : Do discus lose interest in food?

Mep1127
03-16-2012, 12:23 AM
Hey guys, while doing my usual feeding routine I noticed my discus feeding habits have changed. They prefer meaty foods like beefheart and freezedried blackworms. They were eating flakes well at some point and most were eating pellets. Now the dry foods dont do so hot like they did. Is there something that occured? I had routine foods i would feed of the hours of the day like pellets for breakfast. I did change it to beefheart now. Is the switch of foods what caused it? I want them to eat dry foods again.

It took alot of work to make them eat dry foods =/ should i restarve again?

vizkid2005
03-16-2012, 06:30 AM
I had switched to Tetrabit Pellets for a while since I ran out of beef heart .. They ate well
Today I made the beef heart mixture .. and they were LOVING it:D ..

Keep feeding them what you want to . After some time they will realize they don't have any other option , and will start eating it .

qiyanfeng
03-16-2012, 08:42 AM
A healthy fish wants to eat anything fit their mouth.

ExReefer
03-16-2012, 09:58 AM
A healthy fish wants to eat anything fit their mouth.

I partially agree with this. While mine will eat flake, but they don't attack the flake they way they attack BH. They act like a pack a of wolves when I throw a chunk of BH into the water column. It's a feeding freezy and it's why discus do so well in large groups. I don't believe any of my discus are unhealthy.

Mep1127
03-16-2012, 02:24 PM
I only ask... they eat well on beefheart and blackworms they still eat some dry foods just without the same enthusiasm as before... I assume they got bored of it.

tonytheboss1
03-16-2012, 09:37 PM
:bandana: Cichlids aren't very different from us. I like cereal & eat it most mornings as a matter of routine but I REALLY LIKE STEAK & eat it enthusiasticly when the oppurtunity presents itself!!! It's only natural for them to show preference. "T"

Mep1127
03-17-2012, 12:50 AM
:bandana: Cichlids aren't very different from us. I like cereal & eat it most mornings as a matter of routine but I REALLY LIKE STEAK & eat it enthusiasticly when the oppurtunity presents itself!!! It's only natural for them to show preference. "T"

Lol I thought so... When I had angels they werent as fussy.. Oh well