PDA

View Full Version : A couple of questions

Swancici
03-16-2012, 04:38 AM
I have a 120 gallon( not set up yet) but I am going to have it densely planted with real and fake.
I want...
-20 cardinal tetras
-20 rummynose tetras
-10 bleeding heart tetras
Can discus go with these if the temp is around 80-82? Or will the tetras die and to cold for discus? Also do discus eat tetras? I'm new to discus and would love have some how can I go abbot this and what are some fish that can go with discus? Corydoras? Also what's a good ph and ect. Thanks

Orange Crush
03-16-2012, 06:04 AM
Discus need their tank to be at least 82, 80 is not good.
I do not have any experience of the compat. of those tetras with discus personally but I know many people do keep cardinal and rummys with their discus.
Discus are cichlids and will try to eat fish/shrimp that will fit into their mouths but I do not know about them trying to eat those tetras. Hopefully someone with 1st hand experience can help you with that question.
Corys (some anyways like the Sterbai) go great with discus, I have sterbai in the tank with my discus right now and they were easily accepted by the discus and vica versa. Bristle nose plecos, German Blue Rams and other SA dwarf cichlids (like Apistos) also go well with discus.
Discus want stability in their water perams. Ideally they want soft acidic water but trying to get your water to meet that with chemicals like pH up/down and what not is a bad idea because you will get pH fluctuations and they cannot tolerate that very well. It is better to have consistant 8.2pH with hard GH. However, if water is very hard, has a high pH or has nastys in it some people will use a combo of RO/tap, and on a rare occasion straight RO, to adjust it but unless you are breeding for most people RO is unnecessary.

Densly planted/planted discus tanks are generally not a good idea unless you have adult discus. Read this thread it will explain the pros and cons better http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?93624-My-Planted-Tank-Experience

Oh yes, the #1 rule with discus is lots of frequent water changes. You will read that a lot! :)

Welcome to SD. Be sure to read a lot of the "stickys" in the "Beginners" and other sections. You will find answers to many of your questions there.

strawberryblonde
03-16-2012, 10:39 AM
Temps should be 82 - 86, depending on what your discus prefer. Mine do best at 83-84, get too aggressive at 86 and too sluggish at 82. You will figure out the best temp once you have the discus in your tank.

Sterbai Corydora's do very well with discus since they live in the same waters in the Amazon. The same goes for Cardinal Tetras. Rummynose also like the higher temps and do well. I don't know anything about Bleeding Hearts, so hopefully someone else will comment on them.

German Rams are great tankmates for Discus, but if you are planning to grow out discus from juvenile or sub-adult size I wouldn't recommend adding the Rams right away. Rams LOVE the high protein foods that discus eat and they will eat till they are stuffed and over stuffed. Because of that they tend to get bloated and often die quickly.

Once the discus are adults the rams do better since you won't be feeding as often or as much food. Rams also seem, to me at least, to be even more sensitive to nitrates than discus are. That means doing more daily water changes even when the discus are adults. I had german rams in my growout tank last summer and though they survived, I realized that they'd be better off in tanks of their own, so they no longer live in my discus tank.

Discus do not normally live in densely planted waters. They live in super clean water with a sandy bottom and lots and LOTS of driftwood and tangles of branches. If you do decide to go forward with a densely planted tank it would be best to wait till the discus are fully grown. Before you make a final choice you can always search these forums for pictures of both planted discus tanks and ones with a more natural sand/driftwood setting. Both are beautiful and you might end up changing your design plans. =)

I second the water change recommendations! Discus need LOTS of fresh water and won't tolerate a build up of nitrates in the tank.

Orange Crush
03-16-2012, 11:05 AM
Temps should be 82 - 86, depending on what your discus prefer. Mine do best at 83-84, get too aggressive at 86 and too sluggish at 82. You will figure out the best temp once you have the discus in your tank.

Sterbai Corydora's do very well with discus since they live in the same waters in the Amazon. The same goes for Cardinal Tetras. Rummynose also like the higher temps and do well. I don't know anything about Bleeding Hearts, so hopefully someone else will comment on them.

German Rams are great tankmates for Discus, but if you are planning to grow out discus from juvenile or sub-adult size I wouldn't recommend adding the Rams right away. Rams LOVE the high protein foods that discus eat and they will eat till they are stuffed and over stuffed. Because of that they tend to get bloated and often die quickly.

Once the discus are adults the rams do better since you won't be feeding as often or as much food. Rams also seem, to me at least, to be even more sensitive to nitrates than discus are. That means doing more daily water changes even when the discus are adults. I had german rams in my growout tank last summer and though they survived, I realized that they'd be better off in tanks of their own, so they no longer live in my discus tank.

Discus do not normally live in densely planted waters. They live in super clean water with a sandy bottom and lots and LOTS of driftwood and tangles of branches. If you do decide to go forward with a densely planted tank it would be best to wait till the discus are fully grown. Before you make a final choice you can always search these forums for pictures of both planted discus tanks and ones with a more natural sand/driftwood setting. Both are beautiful and you might end up changing your design plans. =)

I second the water change recommendations! Discus need LOTS of fresh water and won't tolerate a build up of nitrates in the tank.
It's like you took the words right out of my post. lol ;)

strawberryblonde
03-16-2012, 11:34 AM
It's like you took the words right out of my post. lol ;)

ROFLMBO, why have an original thought when someone else has already done the work for me? =)

Orange Crush
03-16-2012, 11:46 AM
ROFLMBO, why have an original thought when someone else has already done the work for me? =)
Next time you could just write "+1" instead of your usual novel.
Btw I love that you censored ROFLMAO by writting ROFLMBO instead, as if that needed to be cleaned up anymore for young eyes than it already is. You're silly Toni!

strawberryblonde
03-16-2012, 11:58 AM
Humph, novels you say? LOL

Actually, I wasn't intending to sound quite so much like your post, just wanted to get some cautionary words in there about keeping rams in a growout environment, but one thing bled to another and there ya go, a novel-ette!

=)

Orange Crush
03-16-2012, 12:18 PM
Humph, novels you say? LOL
Nothing wrong with long explanations at all, I think it is awesome that you are willing to take the time to explain in detail. I dislike typing so if I can just write +1, so much the better.

Okay we should prob let this thread get back to helping the OP. I am super tired which has led to me rambling on about things unrelated to the question at hand. I am very sorry Swancici!!!! :o

Swancici
03-22-2012, 02:44 AM
Question what is some brands like flake food that are good. As my local pet stores one don't hAve very much.. One carys frozen food I think only baby brine shrimp and bloodworms. I know they don't have color enhancing foods. Or what's a good web that fairly cheap with shipping... Canada BC? Also foods I can feed them? Thanks

tonytheboss1
03-22-2012, 01:06 PM
Or what's a good web that fairly cheap with shipping... Canada BC? Also foods I can feed them? Thanks

:bandana: Try http://www.bigalscanada.com/ "T"

krislewis3
03-24-2012, 12:32 PM
I feed my 4 juvies live black worms and tetra color bits...tropical granulas!! They love, love, love the granulas which I was not expecting, because I thought they would be spoiled by the live worms!!! And YES, your lfs should carry the tetra color bits!!!

Chris b 1986
03-24-2012, 04:05 PM
Mine feed on discus flake and frozen beef heart they love it

Swancici
04-03-2012, 01:20 AM
What is the average prices in CAD for these types of discus between 3-4 inch?
Brilliant Turq
White butterfly
Blue diamond
Golden sunrise
Red Turq
Also is red Turq and brilliant similar in color?