PDA

View Full Version : Move to separate tank for inspiration?

Greenheinie
03-16-2012, 09:40 AM
I have 5 discus in a 65g. Two have paired up (unconfirmed male) and the female lays eggs every few days towards the left end of the tank. After about three days they turn white and furry. I've never actually seen the "male" do his pass over the eggs, nor have I ever seen the "male" lay eggs either. Assuming it's a male, do you think that moving them to their own tank would be the inspiration needed by the alleged male to git 'er done?

I currently have a 20g planted tank (no fish) in the basement which I've considered tearing down to turn in to a breeding haven IF there's some sort of proof or strong belief that they have a better chance of spawning if left in private. So far they've been good parents in the 65g, not eating the eggs, fanning them, protecting from the others (it's fun watching little mom go after the big BD).

I have plenty of room in the basement and would love to take a stab at raising discus (just don't tell my wife).

Thanks!

nc0gnet0
03-16-2012, 10:43 AM
when you say "every few days they lay eggs", can you be more specific? If it is three or less you have two females, if it is four to five, still a very good chance you got two females but a male is possible, more than that and your chances of having an immature male increases (but still not guranteed). IMO, I would leave them be for a few more spawns and let thier bond strengthen.

Rick

Greenheinie
03-16-2012, 02:28 PM
Sorry, by every few days, I mean about once a week. The female has laid eggs on this weekly schedule for close to 3 months now...about a dozen failed attempts so far.

I try getting a good look at the reproductive tubes. The female has of course a long bit that is very noticeable, but the "male's" bit doesn't stick out as much and I'm having a hard time getting an idea of what "blunt" or "pointy" should look like when people describe the reproductive organs.

Both fish were purchased in November 2010 when they were about the diameter of an oreo cookie...so about 1 year, 4 months old. Very well could be that the suspected male isn't mature yet.

Thanks for the comments/feedback!

nc0gnet0
03-16-2012, 03:15 PM
what is the hardness of your water? do you have access to RO? is there a way to remove the eggs from the tank just after they have been laid?

Rick

Greenheinie
03-16-2012, 08:09 PM
Gh = 8ish
Kh = 2ish

I'm not hardcore enough (yet) to go down the RO path. Tap is relatively soft. The eggs are laid on an amazon sword leaf, so it could always be clipped.

Greenheinie
03-19-2012, 03:12 PM
Anybody with some actual experience after moving to a separate tank?