PDA

View Full Version : How to set up a discus tank

Swancici
03-16-2012, 10:16 AM
I have a 120 gallon (49x31.5x18) with a fluval fx5.
1. How would I set up the filter in there is it to strong?
2. Air stones? Or how to make oxygenationg?
3. I'm a beginner so should I leave it bare bottom as I would love black sand?
4. Can I have done fake plants? Or a couple real ones?
5. I would like
-15 cardinal tetras
-15 rummynose tetras
-10 bleeding heart tetras
-15 panda Corydoras.
Would that be ok?
6. How many could I add of discus?
7. Pros and cons of a discus tank.
8. Water chemistry like ph ect with discus and tetras also temp?
9. Could I add driftwood or wood?
Thanks I would really appreciate the help and knowledge

Skip
03-16-2012, 10:18 AM
what is your budget for discus livestock?

Swancici
03-16-2012, 10:26 AM
Unlimited.

Swancici
03-16-2012, 10:33 AM
Unlimited

judy
03-16-2012, 10:38 AM
Read the many threads on this forum, especially the stickies. That is what they are there for. The information in them will answer all your questions.

Lenin
03-16-2012, 10:40 AM
Oh, that's easy then, go to a local LFS, give them 5K to start with, tell them what you want to do and to get the biggest fish from Hans, and you should be good.

Skip
03-16-2012, 10:46 AM
SWEET! well get ADULT FISH for sure!! 12-13 @100-150 a pop!

they will be lots more forgiving to any mistakes you make..

Swancici
03-16-2012, 10:48 AM
Thanks. But the reason why I ask so people can answer them so I don't have to look through them. But I might later. also 5k? Why would I do that? As I probably can only have 6 maybe and I want to start around 3inch and 6 ain't worth 5k unless there made of gold. Also what's a LF'S and who Hans?

darkknight87
03-16-2012, 10:54 AM
They were over exaggerating I think when they said 5K..when you say unlimited..for many of us if we had unlimited funds we would get top of the line everything we could

Hans is one of the Simply Discus Sponsors who sells very very nice fish. and they recommended the larger adult discus because they are much easier to take care of, you don't risk stunting them for starters, and also smaller discus are often not quite as hardy...

But if you don't want to read, Discus may not be the right choice.

Skip
03-16-2012, 10:55 AM
Thanks. But the reason why I ask so people can answer them so I don't have to look through them. But I might later. also 5k? Why would I do that? As I probably can only have 6 maybe and I want to start around 3inch and 6 ain't worth 5k unless there made of gold. Also what's a LF'S and who Hans?

first of all.. you can not just ask 9 questions and get short answers and thats all you need.. and you need to get alittle bit more motived and do YOUR OWN research.. SD has lots of resources..

why only 6!?

you could have up to 12-13 ADULTS in that tank..

LFS is Local Fish Store.. to your area.

HANS is DISCUS HANS>. Discus PIMP/Seller

Swancici
03-16-2012, 11:15 AM
It Becuse I have done alot of reading and never can find the answer I was looking for. Also I just read throughthe beginner sticky notes and not a straight answer for what I am looking for. That why I asked. But I did find other info that was helpful. Never said I wasn't willing. Just would rather straight answer that I couldn't find. Said unlimited as I don't want to say how much. People don't really need to know. 6 Becuse of the tetras and Cory wouldn't that be over stock? Haha discus pimp. Also doing this with IPhone is a bit more time consuming... Forgot to ask is there a good place to get them in Canada BC? And shipping?

strawberryblonde
03-16-2012, 11:32 AM
If you look at my signature in my post you can see that there's plenty of room in your tank for more than 6 discus. 8-9 plus the tetras and cory's would work very well. My discus are HUGE and though they fill my tank quite nicely I also know that I'm slightly understocked, which makes it easier on the fish and I like it that way. I think 6 of them in my tank would look lost and lonely.

1. How would I set up the filter in there is it to strong? I use a sump and know nothing about the Fluval fx5, so someone else will need to answer this.

2. Air stones? Or how to make oxygenationg? Some use air stone, some add a sponge filter which not only aerates the water, it also provides extra biological filtering.
3. I'm a beginner so should I leave it bare bottom as I would love black sand? Bare bottom if you are planning to grow out young discus. Sand if you are planning to purchase adults. Black sand ONLY if none of your discus will be pigeon blood strains. Pigeon Bloods strains don't do well with dark colors.

4. Can I have done fake plants? Or a couple real ones? Fake works fine and so do live, but only for adult discus. Younger discus require water changes and lots of vacuuming every day so the plants tend to die quickly.

5. I would like
-15 cardinal tetras
-15 rummynose tetras
-15 panda Corydoras.
Would that be ok? All are fine except that I know nothing about bleeding heart tetras so you'll have to find that information from someone else.

6. How many could I add of discus? 8-9 would be fine, possibly 10 if you are good at doing water changes.

7. Pros and cons of a discus tank. Pro's: GORGEOUS fish with wonderful group dynamics and great personalities. Cons: Lots more work than standard tropical fish. Water change, water change, water change.

8. Water chemistry like ph ect with discus and tetras also temp? pH doesn't matter so long as it remains the same every day. Temps 82-86 Ammonia-0, Nitrite-0, Nitrates- less than 5ppm

9. Could I add driftwood or wood? Discus LOVE driftwood, just be sure to read up on how to clean it and soak it before adding it to the tank.

For any other questions, keep reading threads. The search feature works really well for finding subjects you're interested in.

Swancici
03-16-2012, 11:40 AM
Thanks for the info really appreciate it. Sponge filter have to look into that. I'm new and won't be getting any discus for at lest 6 months plus. So I have no idea what a pigeon blood is well besides it's a discus lol but thanks for the tip. How much water change? Everyday?

ExReefer
03-16-2012, 12:16 PM
How much water change? Everyday?

Based on this type of questioning, I would guess that you did not read the stickies.

Swancici
03-16-2012, 12:25 PM
Not about water change yet. Still reading like I said before

Teshi
03-16-2012, 02:57 PM
I've recently started a 55gal tank with 3 discus about 2-3in and I'm doing water changes daily. Sometimes 2x a day depending my my ammonia level.

I am also new to this discus world but there is something about these little flat fish, I can't quit looking at them. They are beautiful. Even though they are still afraid of me.

Swancici
03-16-2012, 03:02 PM
They are really neat looking almost alien like.

judy
03-16-2012, 05:06 PM
It Becuse I have done alot of reading and never can find the answer I was looking for. Also I just read through the beginner sticky notes and not a straight answer for what I am looking for. That why I asked.
Keep reading. the reason people tell you to read the stickies is because we get asked this stuff ALL the time and it gets tiring repeating yourself for the thousandth time to someone who really just needs to do their own homework thorough reading. Answering a list of isolated questions will not give you the broad overview you will need to keep discus. Reading the threads on Simply will.

discuspaul
03-16-2012, 05:53 PM
Swancici, this is the 5th thread you've started today trying to resolve all your questions 'one off' - that is by asking different questions randomly, and in isolation, as if this will quickly tell you what you need to know about getting started with discus. It really won't, even if you start another 20 threads.
You keep skirting away from doing some homework, proper research, as several members here have already suggested, by reading the Stickies in this particular section, which will tell you all you need to know to get properly launched with discus.
As someone already has said: "if you don't want to read, then discus may not be for you".

Please do yourself a favor, and take that advice. Either research, or don't do discus, 'cause if you do, without doing the research, you're just setting yourself up for a huge disappointment.

Skip
03-16-2012, 10:21 PM
why are you spamming the threads like this?

Swancici
03-17-2012, 02:18 AM
I am doing my research. And I am still reading that was not the point. I asked question what is wrong with that? If you don't want to answer or keep repeating your self then why are you here and why is there a forum as I thought this was a place for people to ask question no matter what is was... Was I wrong. Sorry for asking and I wont post anything else. as I am just excited about this and would of like just some straight answers from what I asked... Dos not mean I won't read or what your thinking I knOw my questions won't Answer all and not learn very much. By it's good to ask. Thanks for your time

Orange Crush
03-17-2012, 02:39 AM
Feel free to ask questions and if someone is tired of answering them then they should feel free to not answer them. There are many of us who are not burnt out on answering beginner questions. I enjoy helping others and sharing what I know. That is indeed what this forum is for. But do read the "stickies" too. :)

Skip
03-17-2012, 02:44 AM
feel free

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/search.php?searchid=775382

Orange Crush
03-17-2012, 02:51 AM
feel free

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/search.php?searchid=775382
Hey google master, that link did not work for me. I wonder if there is some flaw in the forum's programming because this has been happening to me at least a few times the past couple of days and I know I am not the only one. Hmmmm.

Skip
03-17-2012, 02:53 AM
thats weird..

its a link to all 6 threads started in one day.. asking same questions..

Swancici
03-17-2012, 02:59 AM
Thank you but I probably won't ask any more question as people scared me away from it lol. But I will keep reseaching as I have been. as I don't plan on getting any till 6 months plus so alot of time. Also the link didn't work for me too. But thanks and if I do have anymore questions I hope there be willing people to answer them correctly or give me directions to where some of the answer would be. As this is a big forum and alot alot of stuff to look through.

Swancici
03-17-2012, 03:01 AM
Um not same questions all diffrent? I may ask two question similar. And if you have a problem then why reply or look through the questions I have asked? Don't get it.

Skip
03-17-2012, 03:01 AM
look..

just keep your questions in ONE thread...

it is easier for YOU to find the answers.. and so POSTERS are not giving you conflicting information..
just be patient, you will get info..

Orange Crush
03-17-2012, 03:05 AM
look..

just keep your questions in ONE thread...

it is easier for YOU to find the answers.. and so POSTERS are not giving you conflicting information..
just be patient, you will get info..
Seems logical to me.

Swancici
03-17-2012, 03:11 AM
So since my questions are all different and would need different different category why in the same thread? I asked 5 question as one got moved. And maybe 2 similar. Is it wrong to ask 5 question in a day I have a right. If you don't feel like answering or just giving me nonsense then why post what I don't want or what I know or doing.

Orange Crush
03-17-2012, 03:17 AM
So since my questions are all different and would need different different category why in the same thread? I asked 5 question as one got moved. And maybe 2 similar. Is it wrong to ask 5 question in a day I have a right. If you don't feel like answering or just giving me nonsense then why post what I don't want or what I know or doing.
Deep breath in.... deep breath out....
Okay, so I understand your confusion but maybe you could write down all of the questions that come to mind on a piece of paper and try to find the answer in the "stickies". If you cannot find the answer start one thread with your most burning question of the moment. After you feel you have gotten your answer you could ask a related question on that same thread or start a new thread. I think Skip is just trying to say slow down and let it all sink in, focus on one thing at a time. You have 6 months to figure this out. If you read the stickies you will be surprised how much info you will pick up. hth! :)

Swancici
03-17-2012, 03:26 AM
Thanks I have been. And very good stuff. But I wanted to know more about my tank my need as to what I should do. Like how many I should stock it with and ect. I did t know it would just be a conflict. But I will stick to one thread. As some of these thing i couldn't find. But I asked ppl if the could direct me to what I need if they didn't want to answer. I'm still learning and still researching.

Swancici
03-17-2012, 03:30 AM
Also where can I find stuff about filters? As I would like to know the A good filter for my tank..and I read somewhere you have to take the carbon out???

Orange Crush
03-17-2012, 03:39 AM
Discus need 10 gal each and should be kept in groups of 6 or more to spread out aggression issues (they are cichlids after all).

Many, many perople use sponge filters (the round ones that are in the tank) Hydro is one brand. But there are many types of filters and everyone has there own preference. I prefer AquaClear HOB filters but I do have 2 tanks that have Fluval Canisters with AC HOB as well for good surface agitation.
I have not used the carbon in my filter for years, Basically you want to have foam with some type of biomedia or more foam on top of it. All you need for a balanced tank is a good colony of BB and the more surface they get to grow is helpful. One of the theories about carbon is it is somehow related to HITH disease. And it is unnecessary unless you are trying to remove medicine or have a sudden tap water issue that needs to be cleaned up (happened to me last week and I thought I was going to lose all of my discus :().

Swancici
03-17-2012, 04:22 AM
Thanks. Would a fluval fx5 do? It's a canister. I'm not good with filters and don't know half of what you said. So can I leave the carbon in there? Also aboout ac hob what is that?

Arjunpun
03-17-2012, 04:38 AM
is there any team member close to your location.when i started discus meeting one of the expert member and getting advice was really helpful.u sud start with adult discus from a good sponsor here and not regret loosing discus.

Swancici
03-17-2012, 04:54 AM
Hi there Im not to sure if there is as I live in BC very small town. And I will be ordering from one of the sponsors and most Likly adults.

shoveltrash
03-17-2012, 06:33 AM
welcome to the forum Swancici.......
you asked:

1. How would I set up the filter in there is it to strong?
2. Air stones? Or how to make oxygenationg?
3. I'm a beginner so should I leave it bare bottom as I would love black sand?
4. Can I have done fake plants? Or a couple real ones?
5. I would like
-15 cardinal tetras
-15 rummynose tetras
-15 panda Corydoras.
Would that be ok?
6. How many could I add of discus?
7. Pros and cons of a discus tank.
8. Water chemistry like ph ect with discus and tetras also temp?
9. Could I add driftwood or wood?
Thanks I would really appreciate the help and knowledge
I highly recommended doing a "advanced search" using the tab at the top right of the SD forum screen. you can search for any subject there, and mostly likely find a LOT of info :). that's how I started here, not so long ago.

the only reason people recommend *reading first* is because so many of these very basic topics are covered repeatedly on this forum - people find it repetitive to answer the same questions over & over again, on basic Discus care info. don't take it the wrong way ;).

"hob" is hang on the back filter.
I have a 65g and only use 2 Hydro 4 sponge filters. however with a larger tank you could use your fluval (is it rated for 120? I don't know anything about fluvals sorry), and supplement with a couple of sponge filters. the sponge filters provide aeration as well as colonization for beneficial bacteria ("bb") link to info http://www.aquariumguys.com/hydro-5-sponge-filter-pro.html

I'm assuming you know about cycling a tank? (sorry to ask this!)

shoveltrash
03-17-2012, 06:37 AM
ps - meant also to say, look up "water changes"
you will need to have an efficient water change system, as Discus need regular wcs. I do 90% every other day, in between usually 50%.

Swancici
03-17-2012, 07:35 AM
It rated for 400 gallon. I'm just not sure on the media on what to use for it. I will do about 30% everyday with bare bottom for a while.

Swancici
03-17-2012, 07:37 AM
Oh yes I know everything about cycling as it will be a fishless cycle for about 3 months then I'm getting my tetras then 3 months plus I'll be getting discus

Swancici
03-17-2012, 07:40 AM
Also will the filter aerate the aquarium or do I have to get airstones?ect. I don't want it to be too complicated already having trouble with the fluvial. Plus idk if tha be to strong for discus?

Wes
03-17-2012, 09:23 AM
Thanks. Would a fluval fx5 do? It's a canister. I'm not good with filters and don't know half of what you said. So can I leave the carbon in there? Also aboout ac hob what is that? http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?88079-Discus-and-Aquarium-Abbreviations Fish
This is a good thread by Eric.
BD - Blue Diamond
BP - Blue Panda
BSS - Blue Snakeskin
BT - Blue Turk
CRS - Crystal Red Shrimp
Cory - Corydoras
GBR - German Blue Ram
MTS - Malaysian Trumpet Snail
OG - Ocean Green
Oto - Otocinclus
PB - Pigeon Blood
PE - Penang Eruption
Pleco - Plecostomus
RCS - Red Cherry Shrimp
RD - Red Diamond
RP - Red Panda
RSG - Red Spotted Green
RSS - Red Snakeskin
RT - Red Turk
SS - Snakeskin
VR - Violet Reflection or Virgin Red
WD - White Diamond

Brand Names

AC - Aquaclear
API - Aquarium Pharmaceutricals Inc
IO - Instant Ocean
ON - Ocean Nutrition
TFH - Tropical Fish Hobbyist (magazine, publisher)

General
AC - Activated Carbon
BB - Bare bottom
BBA - Black Brush Algae
CFL - Compact Flourescent
Dechlor - Dechlorinator or Dechlorinate
DI - De-ionized water
DIY - Do it yourself
F0 - Wild/Original
F1 - First Generation Cross
F2 - Second Generation
FS - For Sale
FW - Freshwater
GAC - Granular Activated Carbon
GAL - Gallon
GFI/GFCI - Ground Fault Interrupt/Ground Fault Circuit Interrupt
GH - General Hardness
GPH - Gallons per hour
HO - High Output
HOB - Hang-on back (usu. refer to filter)
KH - Carbonate Hardness
LED - Light-Emitting Diode
LFS - Local Fish Store
LHS - Local Hardware Store
LPS - Local Pet Store
Metro - Metronidazole
NADA - North American Discus Association
NIB - New in Box
pH - Used to measure acidity/alkalinity of a solution
PH - Powerhead, water pump
PM - Private Message (usually means in current forum)
PPM - Parts per million

This is from the thread shortcut above by Eric.

tonytheboss1
03-18-2012, 08:45 PM
-15 cardinal tetras
-15 rummynose tetras

:bandana: The first two will do ok w/ discus but bleeding hearts are a no go - Water Conditions: 72-77° F, KH 4-8, pH 6.0-6.5 "T"

Swancici
03-19-2012, 05:40 AM
Thanks for the help and I researched the bleeding hearts idk where you got your info on but looked around and got different results.

judy
03-19-2012, 11:42 AM
generally they can handle temps up to 82, but do not do as well at that high end, and 82 is about the coldest you want your discus to be. I keep mine at 85.

Swancici
03-20-2012, 06:41 AM
What would a nice color back ground for these that would make them pop
2 high body red turquoise
2 white butterfly
2 blue diamond
2 brilliant turquoise
2 mercury

Chicago Discus
03-20-2012, 12:59 PM
white or white with a small tint of blue JMO.........with all those colors you need a clean background...........Josie

Swancici
03-20-2012, 01:02 PM
Thanks would a pastel yellow due? Or should I do the white with a blue tint or a pastel blue?

Skip
03-20-2012, 01:06 PM
see..

this what i was talking about.. you have a WHOLE THREAD to your question for background color...

you are getting same questions on different threads.. how will you ever get the right answers..
http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?95116-Background-color&highlight=

i am sorry to have to do this.. but i won't be "SEEING" you again on Simply..

ciao...

*POOF*

Skip
03-20-2012, 01:09 PM
i am sorry to have to do this.. but i won't be "SEEING" you again on Simply..

so this is how the ignore user works.. very interesting

Swancici
03-20-2012, 01:15 PM
Yea I guess I guess but not really. But this forum is new to me so I'll learn. Just don't be ignorant. I'm sure many ppl have done the same and more to come. But learning is the key I'm sure. Thanks anyways

Swancici
03-20-2012, 01:17 PM
Also not same answers but I like variety. If you have a problem don't post simple as that. No need to be rude.. Didn't you hear when you have nothing nice to say don't say it at all? Or is everyone just mean on here?????

Chicago Discus
03-20-2012, 01:17 PM
Yea I guess I guess but not really. But this forum is new to me so I'll learn. Just don't be ignorant. I'm sure many ppl have done the same and more to come. But learning is the key I'm sure. Thanks anyways

Dont worry your fine I like the white with a little tint of blue.....Its really pretty all set up....And welcome to our Forum .....Josie

Swancici
03-20-2012, 01:22 PM
Thanks it does sound pretty I'm just scared they will blend in lol

judy
03-20-2012, 02:24 PM
Also not same answers but I like variety. If you have a problem don't post simple as that. No need to be rude.. Didn't you hear when you have nothing nice to say don't say it at all? Or is everyone just mean on here?????
no need to be rude back atcha, swancici. you are asking questions that have been asked and answered many, many times, and you could find the answers and learn much more at the same time, by searching old threads. if you want to go about it by asking the questions all over again, you have to expect some of us will be less than patient with you.
re colour: my personal preference has always been the lightest possible blue. yellows just don't seem to reflect the light right...

Swancici
03-20-2012, 03:48 PM
Yes at the begging Becuse I didn't know. But I have searched for this one about back grounds and nothing really relevant that's why I asked. But I will continue asking question that I want to know if I searched for them and didn't find what I was looking for like I have been from the beginning. But tired of ppl being ignorent if you don't want to Answer or answer what I Sked then pleAse don't say anything. As it's pointless for you And me. But thanks I will be going with white tinted blue. So stop it please

Lenin
03-20-2012, 03:52 PM
You all just love to take the bait

Orange Crush
03-20-2012, 04:12 PM
It is the responsability of the newbies to try and find the answer on their own and it is the responsability of those with the knoledge to either try to be helpful with an answer to the op's question or to say nothing at all. No one (The OP or others) has the right to be rude or call other people names even if it makes you feel better. Go punch a pillow or play a contact sport instead.
At the end of the day though this is a forum for people to ask questions, not an archive/library. People who want to ask questions go for it, those that are tired of answering the same questions, move on to another thread because there are others who are willing to help.
I know a lot of the longtimers are frustrated with the same questions and they feel like they have to respond so the OP gets the correct info but realize that is your ego talking and that you are too "attatched" to someone else's outcome being what you think it should be. You are not the only ones with the correct info, or the only ones willing to help.

That being said lets move on and focus on helping Swancici set up a kick a** discus tank.

Swancici
03-20-2012, 04:44 PM
Thank you that really appreciate it and your right. I have a right to ask as this is not a library. But I doo look up and research first but I couldn't find some things and so I ask. But i wasn't trying to be rude o just really tired of ppl saying stuff that has nothing to do with what I asked and just telling me I already know( like I know I posted threads and if your tired or annoyed then I don't want to hear it) but I
Sorry for that but I do have a right and I'll be asking as many questions As I want no need to answer them as I know someone will. Haha but I have found alot of good things so thank you to those ppl and it really did help

Swancici
03-21-2012, 11:18 AM
Can you mix discus? I want a show tank and not looking to breed them. But is it still possible they can breed if my temp is 82 and my water is ph7.0. I know discus like it more acidic but that's my natural water ph and don't want to keep
with it. I want 2 white buttery, 2 blue diamond, brilliant turquoise, mercury, albino blue throwback. Haha I know I'm getting a head of my self but good know know for the future.. Also if they did breed what do I do sell them or give them away as I don't want to over crowed my tank. Oh and how much on average are the prices of each? That are 3-4inch. Thanks