PDA

View Full Version : Going to go BB.

Teshi
03-16-2012, 02:49 PM
I'm going to take the gravel out of the bottom of my tank and go BB. From the sounds of things it should make cleaning easier and help lower the ammonia because of all the decaying food in the gravel that I'm missing.

But I don't want to just look down the bottom and see all the stuff in the bottom of the stand. Any ideas what to put on the bottom of the tank? on the outside preferably.

Mep1127
03-16-2012, 02:55 PM
I spray painted the outside bottom of my tank with sand texture spray paint... it does the trick for now.

Teshi
03-16-2012, 02:59 PM
Where do you get such a thing? How long does it take to dry? It does sound interesting for now. Do you have a pic of what it looks like? Sorry for all the questions but My fish will be in a temporary holding 29gal tank til I can get this done. I'd like to have it done within a day if possible. And then what if I don't like it? How would you take it off? OMG I'm terrible with questions

TNT77
03-16-2012, 06:11 PM
http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?93979-Sand-look-for-bare-bottom-tanks&p=859133&highlight=#post859133

Teshi
03-16-2012, 06:43 PM
Ok.. I've got my tank empty and cleaned. I decided to use the spray on foam board and put it under the tank. Heres my issue... there is a black "brace" in the middle of the bottom and the manufacturer put a lovely sticker about it being tempered glass and not to drill it. Well HTH am I suppose to get rid of that sticker. I understand the brace but the sticker!!!!

lipadj46
03-16-2012, 08:48 PM
I just ignore it, lol!

shoveltrash
03-17-2012, 06:40 AM
yeah, my tank has that stooped brace too....the sticker on mine is at the edge. just ignore it!
good luck, you will LOVE the ease of bare bottom!!! :)

Teshi
03-17-2012, 09:05 AM
Gonna make you laugh. I won the ugly orange sticker battle. A very sharp knife and about 2hrs later and ever bit of that dang sticker is gone. I sprayed my foam board. It looks awesome. Cut it and put it in the bottom of the tank, filled the tank with water and guess what? You don't see any of the bottom at all unless your looking down into the tank. *Smack head*

Rummy
03-17-2012, 11:05 PM
Did you get to do anything about the brace?

Rummy
03-17-2012, 11:06 PM
Forgot to mention... Yes. I did laugh. Sounds like something I'd do. Still doesn't make the brace disappear, though.

shoveltrash
03-18-2012, 07:04 AM
Gonna make you laugh. I won the ugly orange sticker battle. A very sharp knife and about 2hrs later and ever bit of that dang sticker is gone. I sprayed my foam board. It looks awesome. Cut it and put it in the bottom of the tank, filled the tank with water and guess what? You don't see any of the bottom at all unless your looking down into the tank. *Smack head*congrats on winning the sticker battle.....and yes, made me laugh too! :D

Teshi
03-18-2012, 09:05 AM
I called Marineland (manufact of tank) and asked if it would stress the tank if i used a dremel tool to remove the black center brace. They told me if i cut it out that my warranty was void. But would not commit if the tank really needed it or not. I guess it does cause they put it there.

1Chuck9669
03-18-2012, 09:23 AM
I called Marineland (manufact of tank) and asked if it would stress the tank if i used a dremel tool to remove the black center brace. They told me if i cut it out that my warranty was void. But would not commit if the tank really needed it or not. I guess it does cause they put it there.

The stand needs the center brace. Better to leave it than risk crashing your tank and killing your tank inhabitants, imo. Have a great day!!!

Teshi
03-18-2012, 09:51 AM
I did leave it on the tank, but thats why I called first to see if it "could" be taken off without that risk to my fish.