PDA

View Full Version : Discus and UV Sterlizer..

Discus phobia
03-18-2012, 10:13 PM
Hi,
This is my first time On the forum. I have a 54 gallon corner aquarium with 4 mid size discus, 10 Rummynose, 12 Cardinals, 2 Cory's, 3 Pristella tetras, 2 black mollies, 1 red platy..Rena Xp2, Eheim 2217 canisters doing their job in maintaining the filtration..

I have been lately reading about UV sterlizers for Discus aquariums..while most of the reviews talk about cleaning the green algae and also used mostly for ponds, can someone pls advise if investing in a good quality UV sterlizer help for my discus aquariums to ensure its free of any parasites and help keep water clean. I do understand that the frequent water changes are a must which I try and ensure fifty percent once a week..

Appreciate some guidance. Thanks

-gb-
03-18-2012, 11:30 PM
some good info: http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?88772-uv-sterillizer...good-ir-bad-idea

lane mechtel
03-19-2012, 05:30 PM
In my experience they work great for algae control. I had a current uv 25watt with a flow rate at 4 gallons per hour per watt. the tank did not have any fewer problems than any other tank I ever had.here is some more good info http://www.americanaquariumproducts.com/AquariumUVSterilization.html

-gb-
03-19-2012, 06:21 PM
That's a great link Lane. Very detailed look at UV.

discuspaul
03-19-2012, 06:44 PM
I run a UV 24/7 in my discus tank, and have done so for over a year. The Submariner.
It not only removes algae (i.e. all the algae I can get into the water column - not that difficult to do), but greatly assists with water clarification, provides extra oxygenation and water circulation without being a problem for the discus, and claims it eradicates harmful pathogens too.(However, of course, I have no evidence of the latter.)
Can be a little costly for bulbs running 24/7, but I do get about 3,000 hours or so from a bulb.

Discus phobia
03-19-2012, 10:18 PM
What kind of filter have you connected to. I have ordered the Aqua 15watts UV classic series.im not sure if this would be enough for my 54 gallon tank. Also I was wondering which filter would be the best to attach the UV. Whether the Eheim 2217 or Rena XP2..
Thanks

discuspaul
03-20-2012, 01:19 PM
A 15W UV would be plenty for a 54 gal tank - 9W would likely suffice.
My Submariner is a self-contained, in-tank piece of equipment that does not run off a filter.

-gb-
03-20-2012, 08:26 PM
My setup is a 35watt UV light hooked up to a canister filter with a flow rate of around 185gph. If your trying to control parasites you need to match your flow rate to your wattage. I have this running on my 65gallon tank.

x2h
03-20-2012, 08:30 PM
i used to have ich in a small tank with cardinals etc. added a UV sterilizer and ich was gone since then. don't know about other pathogens.

Discus phobia
03-21-2012, 11:37 PM
Just got my shipment from Marinedepot. Landed up paying extra towards import charges..Sadly i wasn't aware that the clamps to hook the sterlizer are sold separately. Any DIY ideas or where I could source to fit the UV..